Summer of Yelp: Coastal Crust (Mt. Pleasant, SC)

Today, I wanted to blog about a recent Summer of Yelp event I attended at Coastal Crust in Mt. Pleasant.

image

I tried Coastal Crust for the first time in 2013 when they catered a trail race, the Lowcountry Trail 5K. The pizza was delicious, but back then, Coastal Crust was a food truck that did catering but had no brick-and-mortar location. It’s been almost five years since that race, and I didn’t realize Coastal Crust now has a permanent home in Mt. Pleasant, tucked away on Simmons Street.

image

image

Best of all, I got the coveted “You’re IN” email to let me know I could visit that permanent home for a Summer of Yelp event called Another One Bites the Crust.

My good friends Ryan, Vanessa, and Vy also attended the event, as well as a ton of Yelp Elites and others in Charleston who are active on Yelp. Thanks to Elise D at Cookin With Booze, official Yelp photographer, for this great shot of us.

image

This event started at 5:30, and the Coastal Crust team wasted no time, rolling out a huge charcuterie board and serving up several varieties of beer and wine as we trickled in.

image

However, the pizza was the star of the show. Coastal Crust’s pizza is wood-fired, with a simple dough and unique varieties.

Many of the pizzas are vegetarian, including the Grandma, Oyster Mushroom, and Charred Veggie, but the menu has lots of meat options such as the Pesto and Soppressata, Meatballs and Ricotta, and Fig and Prosciutto.

image

If you’re not feeling adventurous, you can order classics like cheese or pepperoni.

image

My favorite was a pizza that was brought out toward the end, with a black bean base. I didn’t see it on the menu, so I’m guessing it was a special for the event. I grabbed a slice with only two pieces of sausage and took them off, but it was delicious and creative.

I’ve never heard of a black bean base for a pizza before, but it turned out to be my favorite of the night.

image

The service was outstanding- the pizzas were served to us buffet style and came out piping hot. Both the white wine and the rose were delicious and plentiful as well.

image
Thanks to the team from Coastal Crust and Yelp Charleston for hosting this event and re-introducing me to Coastal Crust. I can’t wait to go back, and if you’re looking for great wood-fired pizza in Mt. Pleasant, I hope you’ll try it, too.

As a Yelp Elite, I attended this complimentary event and received my meal free of charge. I was not asked to blog this review, nor did I receive compensation for it.

This entry was posted in Charleston Food, Local in the Lowcountry, Mt Pleasant, Yelp and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Summer of Yelp: Coastal Crust (Mt. Pleasant, SC)

1. AJ says:

So was the crust made of black beans or were there black beans on it?? All the pizzas sound good and what a nice night out!

It was definitely a fun night out!
      The pizza’s base was black bean- the crust was the same light pizza dough, but instead of marinara sauce (or alfredo, or pesto, on some pizzas), it was a black bean puree. It had kind of a southwestern taste.
      I’d love to order it again- I’d just order it without the meat.

• AJ says:

Oh ok that makes sense and sounds really good. I think I would put sweet corn and salsa on mine

I love pizza in general, but I like it when restaurants do mash-ups of different styles of foods. The classics are great- and Coastal Crust definitely got those right too- but the creativity separates it from all the other pizza places in Mt. P.

• AJ says:

Yup I love it when chefs experiment- gives me ideas for at home:)

2. runeatralph says:

Free pizza is the best kind of pizza! I’d be pretty into the meatball and ricotta pizza.

Not sure about that black bean base…

3. Oh yum, this looks great! I love finding treasures at places like these. I’m glad to hear you’ve found a balance with the lack of running, and finding fun stuff to do. Running will always be there for you when you’re ready, at least that’s how I’ve been looking at my situation. I’m keeping my distances lower, and just accepting what I can do for now. I might never get back where I was, and I’m OK with that too. Hope that tear gets healed up soon for you though!!

4. Elizabeth C. says:

Too bad that’s not within driving distance of me. It looks like delicious food and it sounds like you had a lot of fun. How neat to be part of the Yelp community!

I’m sure you guys have great pizza places up there in DC, though! I love being a part of the Yelp community- I get to try lots of delicious restaurants and visit new (or new to me) businesses.

I love writing reviews and recommending local businesses, in hopes that these businesses can succeed. Charleston’s a tough place to make it in the food industry.