Life Lately and Blogging Breaks

Guess who’s back? Back again.

Between my platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injection and recovery, a cruise vacation, and a few crazy weeks at work, I took a much needed break from blogging. I work as a technical writer, and it’s hard to find the motivation to write a running blog when you’re already writing a lot for work and you’re not running.

Blogging might feed your soul, but technical writing feeds our family, so my job obviously takes precedence.

It’s been six weeks since my injection. I’ve experienced some pain relief, but not complete relief. PRP is not a magic bullet, and my doctor told me it would be several weeks before I’d see results and that I may need multiple injections. Unfortunately, proximal hamstring tears (even partial, low-grade ones) take a long time to heal.

image

Running is off my radar for while. July and August are hot in South Carolina, and a lot of seasoned runners focus on other goals (triathlons, cross training) in the heat. The other reality is that when I can run again, it will look very different than before due to the long layoff and the chance for reinjury. To stay healthy, I’m still gymming for an hour each day- but who isn’t?

With no races on the calendar, I’m enjoying everything that was on the back burner during the years I spent training and racing and the past few months of trying to recover from injury. I’m still volunteering at Race the Landing 5Ks and volunteering with a social media conference, SMADCON.

image

I’ve set a goal to try a new-to-me restaurant or coffee shop twice a month, and I’m on a quest to find the perfect chocolate chip cookie in Charleston. I’m enjoying baseball games, potlucks with friends, and beach days with Charleston Beer Runners.

image

I’m also attending some of the Yelp Charleston events, like the Yelp’s Baby Got Outback dinner and Yelp’s Truckin Tuesday. The Summer of Yelp event series just kicked off, and I can’t wait to attend more events around town to discover or re-discover fun restaurants and hangouts.

image

Over the last few weeks, my mindset has shifted from recovering to have a Fall or Winter racing season, to simply moving on. The body heals, and I will recover- and when I am pain free and ready, I’ll start running again, rebuild my mileage, and sign up for a race.

In the meantime, there’s a lot more to life than running, and I plan to enjoy as much of it as I can.

image

I’m linking up with Holly and Wendy for the weekly wrap. Come join the fun!

This entry was posted in Injury, Yelp and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Life Lately and Blogging Breaks

1. Wishing you all the best in recovery! And you are right – there is more to life than running, sometimes one needs a break to really explore other areas. Of course, it wasn’t a planned break but love your attitude about it all.

It hasn’t been easy- and I still have bad days (had one Saturday). But running and workouts will be there when my body’s ready. I have my whole life for it, and I know some rockstars running in their 50s, 60s, and even 70s. Maybe I can be one someday, who knows?

2. runeatralph says:

Sounds like you’re doing just fine without running. 🙂

I’d love to help you with that cookie search. What do you look for in a perfect chocolate chip cookie?

For the cookies, I have a list of places to try around here. I tried one last week, and I plan to hit up the others as I’m close to those bakeries/shops. I have three places I want to try downtown, two in West Ashley, one on Johns Island, and one in Mt. Pleasant. I don’t want to leave any area of town out.

I’ll blog about the cookies and my thoughts on them, so I won’t go into my criteria yet :).

3. AJ says:

Good for you Amy! A great attitude and I hope it pays off for you in lots of amazing ways:)

I hope so too. I think others are more upset about me not running than I am. My doctor told me to continue holding off until we could get a follow up MRI, while apologizing multiple times. I kept telling him it was okay and that I’m honestly NOT missing running in the heat.

Weeks off running are hard, but when it turns into months off, you kind of get used to it…

4. Wendy says:

Glad to see you back at the WW. I am sorry to hear that the PRP wasn’t the magic bullet you were hoping for. Hoping for some pain free days soon!

I *never* thought PRP would be a magic bullet- I even said that it wasn’t in the blog post from 6 weeks ago (https://thetinyterror.com/2018/06/15/the-perils-of-platelet-rich-plasma-prp/).

I hoped that PRP would provide some relief- and it has- but I’m not 100% pain free.

I won’t sugarcoat because I have others who may read this blog who are considering PRP, and I want them to know that the injection doesn’t work in a vacuum. I also did PT, including several rounds before the injection.

I knew going in that there were no guarantees, but I got the injection based on a few scientific studies I read, anecdotal evidence from friends who had PRP, and most of all, because TWO ORTHOPEDIC SURGEONS recommended it. I appreciate blog comments, but those two orthopedic surgeons are the only people who have both read my MRIs and examined my hamstring.

• Wendy says:

I’m really sorry if my comment offended you. That was not my intent–you did use the words magic bullet in your post, so I guess I just assumed it was ok to refer to it as such. I hope you feel better.

5. Well if there was ever a time that you were unable to run, now is a good time, as it has been extra hot it feels like lately. Enjoy not running now. That cruise vacation sounds lovely! Hope you write a recap about that!

Last night, I went to a Yelp event and I dropped by Trader Joe’s to pick up a few things- and ran into some running friends. Everyone mentioned how they’d taken up or increased cycling, yoga, swimming, or other activities over the last month or so. A lot of people just aren’t hot weather runners, and with vacations and other activities, it’s easier to NOT train if you don’t have a Fall race on the calendar.

6. HoHo Runs says:

We missed you Amy! It sounds like you are staying busy doing many interesting things in the Charleston area. Hey, let me know if you locate the perfect CC cookie! Bodies Heal has always been my injury mantra. Unfortunately, sometimes they take their own sweet time. Hang in there. Thanks for linking.

I’ve been working on the Cookie Crawl. I have a list of 4-6 places in three areas of town and decided the best way to do it is to go out, get all the cookies in one area, and bring them home to try. That way I can post pictures and also get opinions from Clay (or whoever else might be around), and I’m not trying to eat multiple cookies per day or writing a ton of blog posts. I figure I can hit one area of town each month.

The injury is still taking its time to heal, but I’m in a better place, pain wise, than I was six weeks ago, so in that respect, the PRP helped. Although I’m not running, I’m gymming again, and it doesn’t seem to irritate things.

7. Elizabeth C. says:

It’s wonderful that you are re-focusing and that your running community is also on “break” from running. I know that you are an active Yelper so diving deeper into that will be great for you. I also really like your mindset of not giving yourself a timeline to come back. I know that must be frustrating not have a firm date when you will heal, but you are handling it gracefully.

8. It sounds like your time away from blogging has been great and filled with all kinds of variety and fun! I just love how much you volunteer. So inspiring! Also, I am loving your attitude about injury/running. You go girl!!