Chronicles of Cross Training: June 11-17

It was PRP injection week! I rested for four days- including injection day- and I rested hard with record low step counts, couch potato-ing, crafting, and binge watching TV.

My friend Sarah is an accomplished runner and triathlete, and she and I were chatting on Facebook when the conversation turned from the best sushi in Summerville to profound running ramblings. This time last summer, I was eyeing Fall half marathons and a possible Winter marathon. Running 45-50 mpw in the heat and humidity of summer, my mantra was to trust the training.

This summer, she suggested my mantra should be to trust the treatment.

Monday

PRP Day! Early wake up call, followed by a drive to Mt. Pleasant, blood draw, injection in my bum, and drive home. I sat on a pillow for the drive home and prayed that Clay didn’t hit any bumps or run off the highway a little into those bumps that remind you that you ran off the highway. Especially since I was on the passenger side.

Clay worked from home and we watched a lot of TV. Bob’s Burgers is our favorite.

I was a couch potato, which felt weird since I had no pain. I didn’t even take 2,000 steps all day, and most of those were pre-injection.

Tuesday

I worked today. I work from home, but if I had an office job, I probably would have taken off to recover from the PRP injection. I felt some pain today, both at the injection site and where I usually feel the dull achiness. I sat on pillows in my home office and went downstairs three times all day.

I drove to my polling place, propped up on pillows, and voted. I snagged the best parking spot closest to the entrance, which thankfully only had two steps. I didn’t have to wait to vote and was happy to see some younger people working the polls.

About 4 PM, we had a thunderstorm, so I went downstairs to unplug something. I just stayed downstairs on the couch until it was time to get ready for bed. I made some fun bead crafts.

image

Wednesday

I woke up bright and early and worked. With two software releases next week, I had a ton of work to do for my real-girl job, so I was fine with working extra hours to get things done.

I still had some discomfort, so once again, lots of sitting on pillows. Supposedly the discomfort and pain is the inflammatory response of the PRP and that means it’s working. Either way, I was so busy with work and trying to rest that I didn’t leave my house all day.

I made more bead crafts- Christmas ornaments.

image

Thursday

More extra hours of work. At the point, my family, my doctor, and the young guy working the polls were the only humans I’d seen since Sunday. I was going crazy.

After work, I picked up Cinnabons to take to Race the Landing. I set up and helped with our finish line water station, but spent a lot of time sitting on the bleachers- on a pillow of course, because bleachers aren’t high hamstring tendinopathy friendly.

Friday

Clay woke up early for the gym and I woke up early for… you guessed it: Technical Writing.

In the afternoon, I decided some Vitamin D might help my mood and injury recovery, so I laid by the pool for about an hour and read.

image

I also went to the gym and did an upper body workout I found on Pinterest. It was nice to be back, chat with the gym staff, and well, move.

Saturday

Saturday was busy! Lots of walking- went to both Costco and the dollar store, went to the salon for an eyebrow wax, and got coffee at my friend’s new store (he’s a running friend and I wanted to support him). I tried my first Nitro coffee and loved it- it’s black coffee, but it comes out of the machine so foamy and rich.

image

I felt like poop that evening- tired and run down, so I crafted and watched TV.

Sunday

I felt better on Sunday but still took it easy. I gymmed, bringing my workout total to two 20-minute upper body sessions.

Besides that, I met up with some friends at Madra Rua for brunch after their easy run. It was my first time there, and I had a delicious omelet with tomatoes and cheese in it.

image

Madra Rua was great- it’s an Irish pub in Park Circle, and they’re showing all the World Cup games so that’s what we watched. They have a nice outdoor area with TVs, and everyone had fun. I was happy to catch up with Virginia, Brent, and Brent’s mom Barbara who was visiting from PA, along with a few other running friends and some new friends too.
image

Even though the week started out with doctor’s offices and needles, I’m glad it ended with friends, brunch, and soccer. It wasn’t an easy week, but ups and downs are a part of life. Here’s to hoping I see improvement from the PRP injection in the coming weeks!

I’m linking up with Holly and Wendy for the weekly wrap. Come join the fun!

This entry was posted in Injury, Team Janky, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Chronicles of Cross Training: June 11-17

1. Wendy says:

When do you get to test out the leg? I’ve got my fingers crossed for you!

I’m not sure what you mean by testing out the leg. I’m weight bearing now (the procedure isn’t THAT complicated, but I know some people have crutches for a few days).

I get to do a bit more this week but I’m still not supposed to exercise the affected area for a few more days.

2. runeatralph says:

Your week definitely improved as it went on. I LOVE nitro coffee. It’s like a creamy coffee shake.

3. What is next in the course of treatment? Wait (how long?) and then see (doing what?)? I’m glad the procedure wasn’t too bad. I was thinking that maybe my 14 days off running would make me feel great, but not sure yet. My first run outside was miserably hot and I only made it two miles. My treadmill run this morning was OK, but nothing spectacular to speak of!

I rested last week because that’s the treatment protocol post-PRP. My doctor didn’t give me a date to start cross training again, but did advise me that I could have pain in the hamstring area for 7-10 days post treatment. I figured taking 7-10 days off of any exercising in that area would be the best course of action. In the day or two after I was supposed to limit even walking, but I didn’t have much choice because I really was hurting- supposedly, this is the inflammatory response taking place and a *good* thing.

Of course, it’s only been 8 days so the verdict is out. The good thing about PRP is that there are no negative side effects, because it’s your own blood and not a drug. If the PRP doesn’t work, it just doesn’t work, which means I’m out of the money I paid for the shot BUT not in any worse shape than before.

Unlike cortisone, the doctor said I probably won’t see any immediate changes after the PRP. I didn’t expect to, because when you’ve been hurt for awhile, it also takes a while to heal. He said most patients know in 4-6 weeks whether it worked, but there is the option of another PRP shot as well. Often people get more than one.

4. HoHo Runs says:

I’ve got my fingers crossed that the PRP shot works its magic. And quickly! I haven’t heard of Nitro coffee but it looks like something I would like. Also, I haven’t had a Cinnabon in ages (not sure we still have a store). YUMMY. Thanks for linking!

I hope the PRP injection works some magic too! It’s slow magic but still magic, right?

Nitro coffee is the best. I’ve only found one local coffee shop and this gas station that have it. It’s kind of like beer when it comes out of the machine, like a Guinness.

I am not a Cinnabon fan- it’s just not my thing. We had an ice cream truck at the race as well, and I went for that instead. I love ice cream!

5. Trust the treatment. I like that. You have a wise friend! Is Bob’s Burgers a TV show? That sounds interesting! I love all your bead crafts and your nitro coffee looks SO good and creamy!!