Chronicles of Cross Training: June 4-10

It’s Monday! Last week, I did some cross training but I won’t bore you with details on the trashy TV (and seemingly endless political ads) I watched on the elliptical.

On Wednesday, I volunteered at The Big Run 5K, which was hosted by Fleet Feet Mt. Pleasant and Summerville. Originally I signed up to run this months ago when I *thought* my hamstring was healing, but apparently not. I gifted my entry to Theresa and let the race director, Mike, know that I’d help instead. It’s tough to give your entry to a friend and show up to help at a race you hoped to run, especially on Global Running Day, but I wanted to be there for my friends running and for Mike.

I worked the packet pick up and race day registration, then went to the finish to hand out pint glasses. Everything went well- all the runners finished upright, uninjured (as far as we knew), and happy- or at least, not complaining on social media. When you’re not running and on the other side of race organization, uneventful events are the best events. Thanks Noah Moore of Noah Runs Real Estate for the great pics, too.

image

On Thursday, I helped at the Race the Landing 5K. These 5Ks are awesome for running, but also one of the most rewarding for volunteers. I love helping with the kids runs and giving out medals to the children, then giving out the finisher’s medals and water to the adults as well. You see runners who are 8 and smiling runners who are 80, because unlike many sports, running can be a lifelong sport.

At Race the Landing, we had a special ceremony pre-race to dedicate a bench in the park to Cindy Salyer. Cindy was one of my best friends and an avid Race the Landing volunteer– she helped at packet pick up while wearing a race number because she ran as well. This bench will carry on her legacy to everyone who visits Charles Towne Landing. Everyone wore red since that was Cindy’s favorite color, we had a prayer, and the park’s director said a few words about Cindy. It was a very touching ceremony and great move by Charles Towne Landing.

image

image

On Saturday, I went to Global Reddit Meetup Day at Frothy Beard Brewing Company and hung out with other /r/Charleston redditors while eating pizza and drinking craft beer. It was a fun time and great way to meet people and try new-to-me pizza. Everyone was pretty nice and it was fun hanging out for a few hours on a rainy Saturday.

image

image

The rest of the weekend was spent getting ready for the upcoming week. Clay and I went on a date to MOD Pizza (for salads) and the grocery store- hello, married life dates. We both have a super busy two weeks, especially since I have two software releases coming up at work to prepare for, so lots of long hours. Clay follows a keto diet so we meal prep on Sunday and do other time-saving measures to stay on track and ready for our busy weeks.

Summer is here- I hope everyone has a great week!

cct_thumb.jpg

Monday 45 min. BodyPump
Tuesday 60 min. Arc Trainer
Wednesday 60 min. Elliptical
Thursday 60 min. Elliptical
Friday 60 min. Arc Trainer
Saturday 60 min. Elliptical
Sunday 60 min. Elliptical

I’m linking up with Holly, Wendy, and Courtney for their weekly wraps. Come join the fun!

This entry was posted in Fleet Feet Mount Pleasant, Fleet Feet Summerville, Race the Landing, Race Volunteering, Training Log, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Chronicles of Cross Training: June 4-10

1. Wendy says:

I had no idea there was a Global Reddit meet up day…LOL! I have a Reddit account, but I don’t really understand how it all works.

It’s great that you are volunteering at events while you heal! Soon you’ll be back out there. Hang in there.

2. The global running event sounds fun. I love trying new pizzas.

3. kookyrunner says:

So sorry to hear that you couldn’t run the race, but I think it’s amazing that you were able to volunteer instead!

It’s all good. Not my first DNS, won’t be my last. I love volunteering, it brings me a lot of joy (running was well… Just bringing me glute/hammie pain)

4. runswithpugs says:

While I am sorry you weren’t able to run, this reminds me that I need to plan to volunteer more. I have only done it a few times, but there’s really no reason I can’t do it more.

It is really fun… especially for a race you aren’t registered to run. Before I got hurt, I volunteered at trail races because I’m just not a fan of trail races.

5. therightfits says:

How fun that there was a Reddit meet up! My husband is a big “Reddit”-or. I just lurk sometimes 🙂

Charleston has such fun breweries!

Very impressive that you are doing so much volunteering. And I hear ya on the trashy TV and all the elliptical time 😦 Wish we were both running!

Ha! At this point I’ve seen every rerun of The Goldburgs, and now the syndicated series (5 PM every day) has started over so I’m rewatching it. Not by choice.

We have so many breweries here! A few weeks ago, a group had a brewery-to-brewery run. Over six miles they included 7-8 stops at breweries. Some are less than half a mile from each either.

6. I saw on instagram that you had your PRP injection. I hope you are running again soon because I’m sure that much cross training is boring as hell.

It’ll still be a few weeks before I can run again, but I have enough going on over the next three weeks that I can dedicate the time for recovery anyway.

Cross training is well, cross training. Netflix helps. I really like classes like BodyPump and would do those even if I could run right now. Still, I can’t wait for the day when I don’t have to see an elliptical for a long time…

7. Kaitlyn says:

That’s so great they were able to dedicate a bench for Cindy. I remember when you shared her story last year. That’s a great way to honor her memory.

As always, I’m impressed by your ability to cross train so diligently 🙂

Well, it’s one way to get out of the house and see people. I’ve kinda been stuck here alone this week, and it’s incredibly lonely. At least I’m married so I see Clay and will get some interaction with a human today, lol.

• Kaitlyn says:

That’s true. Do you at least have phone calls for work? The worst is when you get to the end of the day and realize you haven’t used your voice at all…haha

Yeah, I had two meetings today, so I got to see three of my coworkers virtually.

I wish Starbucks was closer so I could bust out for the drive-thru.

8. HoHo Runs says:

I hope the political ads are over, at least for a while, around here. They’ve been simply awful! I’m glad to see you out volunteering at races. We should all do more of that, whether injured or not. I hope your PRP injection went well. Thanks for linking!

A few candidates here went to run-offs because they didn’t get 50% of the vote, so their ads are still on TV. Of course those ads happen to be the ones I don’t like ;).

I’m always volunteering! I really like feeling needed. I can’t do as much tonight, but at least I can pick up the Cinnabon order for Race the Landing.

9. You’re just awesome for gifting your friend your race entry, volunteering to help at the race, and doing it all on global running day while injured. Seriously, not everyone would do that and it just shows the amazing person you are, Amy!

I’m glad the race was uneventful, too! That makes sense that race directors/organizations would hope for an uneventful race!

I’m glad the Race The Landing went well and the bench for Cindy is perfect and so special ❤

Also, yay for married life dates!

Well, Theresa has had her share of life stuff going on lately and I thought it would be nice if she could come out and run and be with others. It’s not like I could use the entry, and sure, I could have gotten the shirt and pint glass… but do I really need another shirt and pint glass?

Cindy’s bench is nice. It’s underneath a tree, and I saw people sitting on it at this Thursday’s race. They have also put up a picture of her inside the Charles Towne Landing building, with a few words/poem.

10. Elizabeth C. says:

I love that you are staying so active in the running community. It’s wonderful that they had a dedication for your friend. I remember when she passed away, such a tragedy. Hang in there, Amy, you have a great attitude.