Chronicles of Cross Training: May 28 – June 3

It’s Monday, and my first five-day work week in awhile. My planner is a colorful sea of meetings, gymming, and volunteer work this week, but that’s how I like it.

Last week, I did some PT exercises, cross training, and cheering at a Memorial Day beer mile. Not much is new- my proximal hamstring pain is still a dull ache and thankfully not any worse. I’m still planning to get a platelet-rich plasma injection, but in the meantime, I’m doing eccentric exercises to strengthen my hammie, adding collagen to my protein shakes, and remembering my (doctor prescribed) iron supplement each day. I’m in no hurry for the PRP since I have no races on the calendar and I’m getting ready for summer vacation anyway.

cct_thumb.jpg

Monday 60 min. BodyPump
Tuesday No workout
Wednesday 60 min. Elliptical + yoga
Thursday 60 min. Elliptical
Friday 60 min. Arc Trainer
Saturday 60 min. BodyPump
Sunday 60 min. Arc Trainer

Monday was Memorial Day, so I kicked off the day with a morning BodyPump class, then cheered for friends running a beer mile at the Bridge to Nowhere. I sipped on a Strawberry Rita while timing the beer mile with my phone so the runners could have beer mile bragging rights. A few people ran a Memorial Day 5K that morning and still came out to beer mile which was pretty impressive!

image

On Saturday, I went to BodyPump again and the class was so packed, every weight was in use and people shared. While I long to be gymming two days a week and running on the other days instead of gymming every day, I feel like the instructors and staff care about people and not just the fact that they get monthly dues regardless. I am grateful to have a gymbership close to home (15 minute drive!).

image

Besides cross training, I had a fun weekend. On Saturday night, I went to my friend Vy’s birthday party. Amanda had big shoes to fill baking a birthday cake for Vy because Vy is always doing the baking, but the chocolate and coconut cake was delicious- you can’t beat homemade desserts.

We had a cookout with burgers, chicken, veggie burgers, sides, and drinks, and it was fun to chill out with friends and check out Vy’s new house and neighborhood.

image

On Sunday, I went to a going away party for a running friend, Vic, who is moving to Colorado. It was at Revelry Brewing, which also has a food truck and a large selection of wine as well as lots of beers to choose from. Another running friend, Cherry, organized the going away party and so many runners came out- that’s what makes our Charleston running community great.

This week, I’m volunteering at a few races and getting a lot of work done (it’s meeting week). I hope everyone has a great kick-off to summer!

I’m linking up with Holly, Wendy, and Courtney for their weekly wraps. Come join the fun!

This entry was posted in Injury, Team Janky, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Chronicles of Cross Training: May 28 – June 3

1. Aww that’s sad that you are losing a member of your running group. I hope they find just as good of a group in Colorado.

2. runeatralph says:

That cake is my worst nightmare. I hate coconut haha.

3. Wendy says:

I think that cake looks amazing!!! LOL! It’s great to see you keeping active. Glad to hear the hamstring is getting better. Maybe you won’t need the PRP?

After the Lexington Half Marathon last November (the last time I was healthy enough to really “race”), I had this pain in my upper calf. I was googling, scared it was a torn meniscus or something very bad. It was a low level, nagging pain. Pretty soon, my hammie got messed up, and the knee was kind of an after thought… until one day, I noticed that pain was just no longer there at all, and I had full ROM, etc.

I really wish this hamstring injury was like that. I’ve given it so much time. At some point, you take the next step- and it’s difficult to know when that is. My doc recommended this, and after all, he saw the MRI and did the exam.

I never underestimate the body’s ability to heal itself. At the same time, the PRP injection will do that- after all, it is my own blood platelets being injected near the injury site, which doesn’t get a lot of bloodflow. If it can get me back to the sport and life I love a little faster, it’s worth it.

4. Omg! That cake looks delicious! I made an icecream cake fr the first time this weekend for my sister’s bday and it was very tasty as well. Not as difficult as I thought it was going to be, just time consuming.

I’ve only had ice cream cake a few times (it was good though!). I usually go for cake-cake and ice cream on the side. Love a good ice cream too…

5. HoHo Runs says:

Do you have an idea when you’d like to get the PRP injection? I just wondered how long it typically takes to work and if you were timing it to start training again or for a particular race? It’s good you are getting out and volunteering at races and events. It helps to see your runner friends, I think. Thanks for linking!

I’m actually getting the injection on Monday. I called on Monday to make the appointment and took the first available. I’m going on vacation in a few weeks and wanted to time it around that.

As far as hoping to train for a particular race, I gave up on that a long time ago. Injury recovery is day by day.

6. Elizabeth C. says:

That was so awesome of you to time the beer mile. I love how you stay so connected with the running community even when not running yourself. Your dedication to body pump and the gym is impressive. Keep it up, Amy!

7. All sorts of exciting stuff going on with celebrations and volunteering and gymming! It sounds like the community within your gym is pretty amazing! Also, that cake sounds and looks SO good!