Chronicles of Cross Training: May 7-13

It’s Monday and you know the drill. As I mentioned in last week’s recap, I’m on a running hiatus while I work through my injury issues. This was Week #2 of the “Cross Train Till I Go Insane” plan.

I went to Fleet Feet Mt. Pleasant and got a new pair of running shoes- the Hoka Clifton. The only running I did was running across the sports chiropractor’s office a few times in them (he was the one who suggested I try a rocker bottom shoe), but he seemed to think they’d help my gait issues. A lot of runners with limited big toe flexibility seem to swear by Hokas, so maybe they’ll work for me.

image

If nothing else, my friends won’t have to lean down as far to take pictures with me.

cct_thumb.jpg

Monday 65 min. Elliptical + 45 min. BodyPump + 30 min. BodyFlow
Tuesday 60 min. Elliptical
Wednesday 60 min. BodyPump + 60 min. Arc Trainer
Thursday 60 min. Elliptical
Friday 60 min. Arc Trainer
Saturday 60 min. BodyPump
Sunday 60 min. Arc Trainer

Even though I’m not running, I spent a lot of time with friends this week. On Wednesday night, I attended the Yelp Celebrates National Foodie Day pizza party at Famulari’s Brewpub on James Island. I sampled a few pizzas and beers- it was a pizza and beer pairing- and hung out with Vy, Craig, and some other Charleston Yelp Elites.

I never knew that National Foodie Day was a real thing, but I’m down with any holiday that features pizza and beer. Famulari’s has a great thin-crust pizza and a really nice vanilla latte flavored beer (I’m not even a beer fan, and I liked that one). Shoutout to Victorious Photography for the pics.

image

image

On Saturday, I went to the Charleston Greek Festival with Emily and Sean. I love Greek food- and most all ethnic food- so I was excited about the grape leaves, spanakopita, and baklava. Greek Fest also had some fun crafts and items to buy, and I bought two Christmas ornaments. Normally I buy a Christmas ornament for every destination where I travel, but these were cute and the prices were very affordable for a festival.

image

image

I also volunteered at this week’s Race the Landing 5K, where I got to add “Official Cinnabon Transporter” to my race volunteer resume. I had to drive 12 boxes of Cinnabons from the West Ashley store to Charles Towne Landing without eating any. Needless to say, my car smelled heavenly. At the race, I volunteered at the finish line handing out water.

When I left the race, every Cinnabon was gone. I had my doubts, especially since we also had an ice cream truck at the race, but the Charleston area runners never let me down when it comes to demolishing 12 boxes of Cinnabon. Thanks Noah Runs Real Estate for the ice cream truck and Todd Miller of Blue Water Cinnabon for the buns.
image

This week, I have two appointments with the sports chiropractor and one appointment at the orthopedist- the one where I get my MRI results. Last week, a few people have asked if I’ve gotten the results, and no, I haven’t. This isn’t House, M.D.; you don’t get MRI results back after a two minute commercial break and you’re not cured in 60 minutes. Medicine- and insurance- don’t work that way, and wanting to run again and having Kiawah on the schedule in December doesn’t jump me up on the waiting list.

I hope if something was broken, torn, or growing in my pelvis, my doctor would call to get me in sooner. I guess that’s a positive sign, right?

I guess I’ll find out for certain on Wednesday.

I’m linking up with Holly, Wendy, and Courtney for their weekly wraps. Come join the fun!

This entry was posted in Charleston Food, Fleet Feet Mount Pleasant, Injury, Race the Landing, Race Volunteering, Team Janky, Yelp and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Chronicles of Cross Training: May 7-13

1. Wendy says:

I hope you get answers on Wednesday but that those answers are all good news. I’ll be curious to hear how you like the Hokas. I used to run in Asics Gel Nimbus but after many years of those, I’ve been running in Mizunos, which don’t have a lot of cushioning. I seem to be running faster in the Mizunos.

I’ve had multiple models of Mizuno and always liked them- they’re definitely a responsive shoe. Before I got hurt, I was doing most of my long runs in the Mizuno Wave Sky, which I really liked. They had a lot of cushioning for a Mizuno shoe, so if you ran in the Gel Nimbus, you might like the Wave Sky. They are a pricey shoe, but I have 370 miles on my pair and think they could get ~200 more miles (if I ever get to wear them again).

This is my first pair of Hoka. They feel way different than any of my other shoes, but I haven’t run in them yet really. I guess I’ll see how they work!

2. runeatralph says:

I’m too hungry to handle those yummy food pics…

I hope you like the Hokas. After resisting Hokas for quite some time, I got some Clifton 3s to use as a long run/recovery shoe. I really like them. They are lighter and more responsive than you’d think and they really can give you a break from the pounding of the pavement. Speed is still an option when running in them too.

Totally. I know some faster local runners who wear Hokas, and they make racing shoes now too.

Oh, this past week was definitely full of delicious food. My summer body isn’t ready and unfortunately, summer is now here! Thank goodness for all the cross training.

3. Angela says:

Ugh, I feel your pain….I think it was a week or two before I got my MRI results & even then the doctors were like, “Ehhhhh, not clear what this means????” Good luck & hope you get some answers!

MRIs come back “inconclusive” quite often. That definitely beats bad news, but I do hope that I can get some next steps at the appointment.

If the MRI doesn’t confirm the PA or Ortho’s speculations about piriformis syndrome or high hamstring tendinopathy, then maybe the sport’s chiro’s idea that the pain was caused from my inflexible big toe is right. I’m going to bring that up to them when I go on Wednesday as well.

4. sarahdudek80 says:

You had me at pizza and beer pairings and Greek food. That sounds delicious. All of it! I find that when I am injured and can’t run, delicious food seems to surround me and I am constantly hungry. It weighs heavily on my mind at times. Beer really should be calorie free. I would love to hear your thoughts on the Hokas once you have used them for a bit.

I’m hungry a lot too, but even though I’m not running, I’m still doing a lot. I do not have the level of hunger I had when I was running 50mpw though!

When I’ve had injuries in the past though, it usually took about a week for my hunger cues to go back to NARP levels.

Once I break in the hokas (which will mean I’m actually running again!), I will definitely post a review. I’ve reviewed a few shoes in the past and would want to post about them, especially as someone transitioning from basically the opposite kind of shoe!

5. therightfits says:

Pizza and beer pairing? That sounds amazing!

Your recap looks an awful lot like mine..The elliptical is no match for running. Do you do workouts on it, or just go at an even pace? I’ve done a little bit of both to try to break it up.

Interesting that Hokas are your PT’s recommendation. Interested to hear if it helps!

On of my gyms has pretty sophisticated Cybex ellipticals, and I vary the incline and resistance. I play around with those every five minutes.

At Planet Fitness, the elliptical is simple and can only vary resistance. It does have a reverse mode function, so I’ll do that occasionally- usually going backwards more than forwards.

My sports chiro (he’s not a PT, although it feels weird to call him a chiro because what he does is so different than any chiro I’ve seen before) recommended shoes with a rocking bottom. I talked to a friend who works at an LRS in Ohio, and he actually recommended Hokas since they have that and because he’s heard of hallux limitus (the worker at FF had not).

6. HoHo Runs says:

I bet your car smelled like Cinnamon Rolls for days! I’m glad you stayed busy this week with friends and events. Btw, the vanilla latte flavored beer sounds very interesting. My fingers and toes are crossed that you’ll get the correct answers on Wednesday…and a plan that will get you back to where you want to be. Thanks for linking!

My car didn’t smell, since all of the boxes were sealed up. I wasn’t about to open a box and sneak a roll because it would’ve smelled. But it beats the car smelling like sweaty running gear (Gee, I hope I get to experience that smell this summer).

I hope I hear something today, but honestly I’m prepared for it to be another wasted trip. The MRI was ordered almost a month ago and is now over two weeks old. I feel like it’s obsolete like Blockbuster by this point.

7. Christina says:

I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and “broken, torn, or growing in my pelvis” finally got me to comment because that’s hilarious. Thank you for adding that to my morning 😂

Well- nothing was broken or growing, and the tendon wasn’t *completely* torn, but I still felt like the results were significant enough that they could have called or sent me a message through the hospital’s message portal to call them. Then again, maybe the results weren’t as significant as I thought? Who knows?