Another week down, and I’ll consider this week a success.
- I ran each day (except Sunday- rest day), even if it was short and slow. These were treadmill runs, so if you’re one of those who doesn’t “count” treadmill runs, ignore this bullet point.
- When my treadmiles didn’t go my way, I got off and went to a machine. Don’t think, just DO.
- I hit a new PR on squats at BodyPump. I can continue to justify injury weight as “muscle gain”.
- Insurance is fickle, and an MRI is cheaper than an X-Ray if you shop around.
- My ischial tuberosity pain was way lower on the suffer scale and didn’t wake me up at night.
|Monday||5 miles + 20 min. bike|
|Tuesday||5 miles + 60 min. BodyPump|
|Wednesday||3 miles + 35 min. elliptical|
|Thursday||5.5 miles + 60 min. BodyPump|
|Friday||3 miles + 25 min. stair climber|
|Saturday||3 miles + 60 min. BodyPump|
|Sunday||60 min. elliptical|
In case you missed it last week, I went to the ortho, and the PA and ortho want to do an MRI to diagnose either high hamstring tendinopathy or piriformis syndrome. The pain hasn’t been bad lately, even with running more. Before, my glute would be yelling at me after running.
My gait is still janky, and I’m working on that- it’s MUCH easier to work on rehab when you’re not in pain.
My MRI is tonight. Someone asked why I’d still get the MRI even when I can run a bit and my bum isn’t hurting much. I want to either rule out tendon damage, or catch it and treat it. I don’t want any more needles in my glute/hammie (already tried dry needling) and hope it doesn’t come to that, but if so, I want it ASAP so I can get on my recovery game.
Injuries aren’t always as simple as X weeks off. Our bodies don’t heal according to our timelines or race schedules. There’s first opinions, second opinions, mental breakdowns, “test runs”, waiting for referrals, insurance preauthorizations, and follow ups. There’s seeing an e-mail that your domain is up for renewal and debating changing your blog’s title to “The Tendinopathy Terror”.
Back in December, I took the plunge, a few shots of Bailey’s, and entered my credit card number to register for the Kiawah Island Marathon. I can live with not BQing. I can live with not PRing. I can live with dropping down to the half, deferring, or DNSing.
But I can’t live with giving up.