The Weekly Rundown: April 23-29

Another week down, and I’ll consider this week a success.

• I ran each day (except Sunday- rest day), even if it was short and slow. These were treadmill runs, so if you’re one of those who doesn’t “count” treadmill runs, ignore this bullet point.
  • When my treadmiles didn’t go my way, I got off and went to a machine. Don’t think, just DO.
  • I hit a new PR on squats at BodyPump. I can continue to justify injury weight as “muscle gain”.
  • Insurance is fickle, and an MRI is cheaper than an X-Ray if you shop around.
  • My ischial tuberosity pain was way lower on the suffer scale and didn’t wake me up at night.

Monday 5 miles + 20 min. bike
Tuesday 5 miles + 60 min. BodyPump
Wednesday 3 miles + 35 min. elliptical
Thursday 5.5 miles + 60 min. BodyPump
Friday 3 miles + 25 min. stair climber
Saturday 3 miles + 60 min. BodyPump
Sunday 60 min. elliptical
Total 24.5 miles

In case you missed it last week, I went to the ortho, and the PA and ortho want to do an MRI to diagnose either high hamstring tendinopathy or piriformis syndrome. The pain hasn’t been bad lately, even with running more. Before, my glute would be yelling at me after running.

My gait is still janky, and I’m working on that- it’s MUCH easier to work on rehab when you’re not in pain.

image_thumb.png

My MRI is tonight. Someone asked why I’d still get the MRI even when I can run a bit and my bum isn’t hurting much. I want to either rule out tendon damage, or catch it and treat it. I don’t want any more needles in my glute/hammie (already tried dry needling) and hope it doesn’t come to that, but if so, I want it ASAP so I can get on my recovery game.

Injuries aren’t always as simple as X weeks off. Our bodies don’t heal according to our timelines or race schedules. There’s first opinions, second opinions, mental breakdowns, “test runs”, waiting for referrals, insurance preauthorizations, and follow ups. There’s seeing an e-mail that your domain is up for renewal and debating changing your blog’s title to “The Tendinopathy Terror”.

Back in December, I took the plunge, a few shots of Bailey’s, and entered my credit card number to register for the Kiawah Island Marathon. I can live with not BQing. I can live with not PRing. I can live with dropping down to the half, deferring, or DNSing.

But I can’t live with giving up.

I’m linking up with Holly, Wendy, and Courtney for their weekly wraps. Come join the fun!

This entry was posted in Injury, Team Janky, Training Log and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to The Weekly Rundown: April 23-29

1. Wendy says:

I do feel you on the frustration and not wanting to give up! I hope the MRI gives you the answers you seek. I bet you’ll find that the strength training will be a help too!

2. Rabbit Food Runner says:

I think it’s smart to get an MRI for the information, and if you need to tweak recovery you need to. You’re right that recovery for everyone is different, but don’t give up!

I’ve been dealing with this since December (some days and weeks have been better than others), so it’s definitely time for an MRI.

I can’t give up, because I don’t have friends outside the running community. Recovering from an injury is hard, but having to make all new friends would be even tougher.

3. runeatralph says:

You’re doing the right thing and I totally agree with the way you see things. Also, treadmill miles DEFINITELY count.

4. SJ says:

I hope things work out for you and figure things out. Treadmill miles totally count. Good luck!

5. Geez, I hope treadmill miles count or I’d barely have any during the winter! Looking forward to seeing what the MRI shows. Hope it went well!!

6. AJ says:

Hope the MRI shows something minor and fixable:)

7. therightfits says:

I hope the MRI gives you the answers you need. I bet all your strength training has been great too!

I totally hear you on the “no friends outside the running community.” I’m dealing with a broken tibia/fibula, and it’s been TOUGH not to have that connection with my “squad.” (Never thought I’d say squad, ha!)

8. Dorothea says:

Never give up.
    Also, I got lucky and my doc prescribed an MRI for me without me having to pay for it myself. Sounds like we have the exact same pain. Didn’t know that until I looked up ischial tuberosity. Wow. Hope you get some definitive answers, soon! I get to see my doc tomorrow and see what she says. Mine has been an issue since Feb., but you’ve been dealing with it a lot longer. It’s no fun. I liked the “inside my body” image 🙂

9. HoHo Runs says:

I hope the MRI will give you some definite answers. I think you’ll feel better once you have a definite plan of action. You’ve been in limbo way too long. Fingers crossed! Thanks for linking.

10. Your attitude is always so great. Love that you signed up for another marathon. Fingers crossed for you!

Ha! I signed up for the Kiawah Island Marathon back in December of 2017. Needless to say, I’m not registering for anything right now! If I had a crystal ball and could’ve seen into the future, that I’d be dealing with this injury for so long, I probably wouldn’t have signed up for it in December.

But hey, worst case scenario is that it’s a $41 t-shirt ($41 for the race’s 41st year). Even if that happens, I’ll still show up on race day to cheer for everyone and enjoy the post-race festivities.