The Weekly Rundown: April 16-22

Greeting everyone! It was a busy week, with an orthopedist appointment, and while I don’t have any definite answers yet about my injury and treatment, I do have some updates.

I got some exercise in each day, even if it wasn’t fast or far. Grumpy glute makes me compensate my form big time when running outside, so I’m not running outside much. I don’t seem to compensate quite as much on the treadmill (odd), but my gait was REALLY janky when I tried the easy 3 miles at the Fleet Feet Summerville Pub Run on Wednesday.

Despite the jankiness, I’m super happy I went to the pub run. It was great seeing so many friends, eating donuts, trying on the shoes, and hanging out at Montreux. The weather was beautiful and over 100 runners and walkers came to the pub run.

image

image

image

I also continued strength training with BodyPump. While I’m out of running shape, I’m looking… strong? The mirrors in the group fitness studio seem to echo the injury weight I’ve gained (I’m up 6 pounds), so I try to get a spot in the back. Thursday’s BodyPump class was small, so I was forced to look at myself for 60 minutes and I noticed… muscles. That’s a first.

Until I can train and race, I’ll embrace what I can do. The body does heal- even if it’s not on our terms or timeline.

Monday 5 miles + 45 min. BodyPump
Tuesday 5 miles + PT
Wednesday 60 min. bike + 3 miles
Thursday 60 min. BodyPump + 30 min. bike
Friday 5 miles
Saturday 5 miles
Sunday 60 min. elliptical
Total 23 miles

My orthopedist appointment was Thursday morning at MUSC Orthopedics at 9:05. The West Ashley traffic gods were on my side, and I arrived on time. I was called back for vitals and discovered that I lost three pounds since my last appointment with my family doctor. This easiest way to lose three pounds is to schedule an appointment on a freezing cold day and wear jeans and a hoodie, then schedule your next appointment on an 80 degree day and wear shorts and a t-shirt. You’re welcome.

Then, I waited. And waited. 10:30 rolled around and I realized I wasn’t getting Chic-Fil-A breakfast after my appointment. Just when I thought I might be lucky to make it out in time for Happy Hour. Then, the Physician Assistant knocked on the door!

Both the PA and doctor took my medical history and examined my glute/hip, at separate times. The PA thinks I might have piriformis syndrome, while the MD thinks I might have high hamstring tendonopathy. Either way, the doctor gave me an order for an MRI to get a diagnosis, talked to me about what my options would be based on what the MRI says, and sent me on my way. They both spent a lot of time with me and answered my questions- and I probably broke the record for asking questions at a doctor’s office.

Overall, I’m happy with the care so far. My MRI is April 30, the soonest the off-site office could get me in, and I’ll have a follow-up with my ortho to discuss the results in May. Until then, I plan to continue what I’m doing- staying as active as I can, running some, and babying Grumpy Glute.

I’m also making an effort to fuel my body with healing foods instead of junk and trying to practice self-care. My job is extremely stressful right now, and stress isn’t helping my injury heal (nor is dealing with an injury making me a better technical writer). I can’t change that, but I can do little things like meditate, get enough sleep, spend time with friends, pet baby animals, and take comfy baths.

I’d like to hope this injury would be an “easy fix”, but I’ve been dealing with it since December using conservative options (Rest, PT, NSAIDs, Sports Massage). BUT watching the Boston Marathon coverage on Monday and reading about how some of the pros have dealt with injuries and time off gave me hope.

Hope doesn’t heal hamstring tendons, but at least it’s helping me deal with life each day.

image

I’m linking up with Holly, Wendy, and Courtney for their weekly wraps. Come join the fun!

This entry was posted in Injury, Team Janky, Training Log, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The Weekly Rundown: April 16-22

1. Sarah M. says:

I’m impressed with how you’re handling this injury with patience and persistence. Fingers crossed this dr visit will result in a solution.

I’m trying. I’ve been dealing with this since before the Kiawah Half Marathon in December. It’s stressful, because it seems like I should be healed by now, but I’ve tried conservative options like rest, NSAIDs, PT, etc, and visited my family doctor too.

The hardest thing at this point is waiting- injuries aren’t like medical shows you see on TV. I had to wait three weeks to even see the ortho, and over a week to get an MRI, and several more weeks to see him for a follow-up on that MRI. Granted, that gives the injury more time to heal (not that five months have helped so far).

It makes me jealous when I watch medical shows and the person in the hospital is wheeled in for the tests after two minutes of commercials!

2. Pam says:

Good luck with your follow up appointment Amy. Our group is on a no sugar challenge and this might be something for you to consider. It sounds harsh, and it is to start with but honestly I am feeling so much better after several weeks, and not missing sugar at all. We are allowed fruits and alcohol so not a total sugar lockout! 🙂 Also, it may help with your weight gain but you still look tiny in your photos. The most difficult part of the challenge other than the first few days, is finding breads and cereal that are allowed. I spend a lot of time reading grocery labels. Injuries are no fun, and my piriformis has been a problem off an on for months now. Monthly massages have helped and not being in the midst of high mileage marathon training has also been helpful. Wishing you well as you deal with your issues and hopefully the doctor can be helpful.

Massages are great! They have helped a lot with the pain, but it always seems to come back. At this point I’m wondering if the tendon is torn, although I never felt any sort of pop or sudden pain- it was all gradual onset (and even now, I have bad days and good days when it doesn’t bother me at all).

Honestly, I need to watch my diet better. Even if I don’t cut out sugar, I need to get it together and cut out CRAP. Eating Easter candy like Cadbury mini eggs isn’t doing my waistline or injury any favors.

3. Glad that you are getting closer to getting an answer! What a great turnout at that run. Hope you have a great week and that April 30 brings some more answers for you!

4. Montana Ross says:

Good luck with the MRI! I hope the results aren’t too bad and you heal quickly. I know how annoying an injury can be.

Thanks. I hope the results are better than what I expect, of course. Mainly, I hope that the doc can find a good treatment to help me heal faster and be out of pain. My running has really suffered this year, and I’ve been dealing with this for far too long.

5. Wendy says:

I keep preaching strength training! After being injured for so long about 5 years ago, I finally signed up to work with a CrossFit coach. She was also a corrective exercise specialist and that is where we started. We did a ton of hip and glute work. Once that was resolved, we started strength and conditioning. I was running the best of my life and I finally got up the courage to run my 2d marathon, which is still my PR. Just saying–you might want to consider a different training regimen.

I strength train twice a week. I’ve always been pretty diligent about strength training and doing yoga. However, when I lifted when training for a race, I lifted lighter because I wanted to be fresh for running and because running was the focus and strength training was the ancillary work.

For years, strength training and yoga kept me injury free- until they didn’t.

I’ve been even MORE diligent since getting injured- and I’m still injured.

But hey, I can rock a tank top this summer?

6. Yay for seeing the ortho and getting some info and also seeing muscles during Body Pump! That must have felt great! I struggled with piriformis syndrome a few years back and it was seriously painful and just plain annoying!! The thing that helped me was seeing a chiropractor. Keep us posted on how the MRI goes!

I’ve seen a few chiropractors. I saw one a year or two ago for some low back issues I had, and he was quite helpful. He moved away, though. I also saw Dr. Jimerson, a local chiropractor who is more of a sports med guy and does Active Release Therapy, back in January for this injury. It helped a lot with the pain, but I really want to get to the root of the problem instead of going somewhere every week? I also saw a chiropractor who was more of a “back cracking”, traditional adjustment chiro- no help there.

But, I’d totally see Dr. J again- he was really helpful. In fact, my family doctor recommended him; I’ve never known an MD to recommend a chiropractor before, but my MD is a cyclist and knows about ART.

I feel like finding a good chiropractor is really hard because it’s a broad field. I’ve seen a few that were rather “sales-y” and I’m not sure whether they wanted me better, or wanted my cash. With any practitioner, I’d want someone who had a lot of experience working in sports medicine and with athletes. My ortho is the team doctor for the Charleston Battery soccer team, and I like that- soccer players do run a lot so I’m sure he’s seen a lot of the same types of injuries.

7. HoHo Runs says:

I’m glad you are getting answers and moving toward a solution to your issue. Bodies Heal has been my mantra on a few occasions. But you are so right, they do it on their own terms. I’m glad you are able to run some miles this week and participate in the pub run. Keep working on those muscles! 😉 Thanks for linking.

The pub runs are so fun! It’s short enough that I can do it, and casual enough that it doesn’t matter how slow I run. Plus Fleet Feet has giveaways and prizes and snacks after. They do a wonderful job with the events and getting our community active.

8. I’m super interested in hearing what an MRI would turn up. I just had a friend ask me if I had one today… which was “no”. My insurance is so basic, it would cost me a ton of money. Not going down that route yet. Back when I first started researching my pains (oh, 2 or 3 years ago!), I originally thought it was piriformis syndrome (which also seems to be one of those hard to diagnose issues!). Maybe at the time it was, because it affected my glutes more, and not so much my hamstrings. Mine is more high hamstring issues these days.

My insurance is the same way, which is one reason why I delayed an MRI. Plus, let’s be honest, no one wants an MRI even if they’re not paying out the wazoo. At this point, I feel like it’s a smart move because I can get a true diagnosis and possibly SOME medical treatment (cortisone shot? PRP?). My pain has never been in the belly of the hamstring, but always at the insertion point of the glute and in the glute. Of course, where the pain occurs isn’t always the source of the pain, either, and not everyone who has the same diagnosis is going to have ALL of the same symptoms.

The odd thing was, I didn’t feel so bad at the appointment! I hate to say I wanted to be in pain when I went to the doctor, but I woke up not long before the appointment, and I hadn’t moved a lot yet that day, so I didn’t feel bad. I described what actions hurt more on a day-to-day basis, though, and they did a ton of functional tests.

9. runeatralph says:

I’m up about 6 pounds too. It’s all lean muscle mass, of course! I hope the MRI brings good, fixable news.

Thanks- that’s exactly what I’m hoping, too. I hope that it doesn’t just come back inconclusive, and that whatever it is, it’s something the ortho knows how to treat, and has treated before and had people recover successfully.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the comments about feeling better soon. I talked to this lady today who works at a new sports chiropractor’s office, and she was like “come give us a shot, you never know you might not need the MRI!” But I’ve dealt with the pain, off and on, since December. I’ve tried a lot of things. It never stays gone long enough for me to string together good training weeks, and it’s time to get to the bottom of it.

I mean, no pun intended… considering the pain is actually IN my bottom.

• runeatralph says:

Yeah, it’s time for the MRI after that much time. I can’t imagine how hard it must be to not know a timetable or have a solution. You had me rolling with that pun. Thanks for that 🙂