Weekly Rundown: February 26 – March 4

Another week is over, and I’m not sad to see it go.

It was a tough week all around for me. I hoped to go to Myrtle Beach for the weekend to run the 5K for fun and cheer for some friends running the half and full, but my travel plans changed. I had an entry from deferring the half last year (missed due to injury), but thankfully hadn’t re-registered and stayed home. With hotel prices, gas, traveling alone, bills, and not even being able to push the pace in the run thanks to Grumpy Glute, I didn’t see the point.

Of course, I saw all the social media posts from the weekend. Between Myrtle Beach, Columbia, Palmetto Bluff, and a few races in NC- I think I was the only person who didn’t run a race. Even when I was training, I wasn’t fast but love races because of the social atmosphere and togetherness. Races are about being with others, not beating others. Well, unless you’re ahead of me in the actual run and I’m able to pass you, in which case I will- and after the race I will congratulate you and thank you for pushing me to run my best.

Aside from that, I spent much of the week stressed about bills, money, and work. I probably ran more than I should have, and I didn’t feel great on my runs, but they helped me deal with the stress. On a happy note, the scale finally dropped one pound. So there’s that.

Monday 7 miles + 45 min. BodyPump
Tuesday 6.3 miles
Wednesday 35 min. elliptical + 5.6 miles
Thursday 5.1 miles + 60 min. BodyPump
Friday 15 min. elliptical
Saturday 10.1 miles
Sunday 6.2 miles
Total 40.3 miles

My week started off with an easy neighborhood run that morning and BodyPump that evening. The gym had a table of free samples of protein so I grabbed some on my way out for some GAINZ. This hobbyjogger’s gotta get SWOLE for some 5Ks!

On Tuesday, I ran and got a sports massage. Massages feel so good and I really love my massage therapist, Cindy at Old Village Massage. If you’re an injured athlete in the Charleston/Mt. Pleasant area, she’s the one to see. She also does cupping which is helpful for so many injuries.

On Wednesday, I did some easy ellipticalling (mostly backwards) and glute bridges, then ran that night at track practice. I “just run” around the track, but at least I’m with friends and in the pictures, which makes me happy. As I mentioned, the worst part of not running is the loneliness and seeing running pictures and you’re not in them.

Thursday’s run felt like poop. I don’t know if I ran too fast at track, but it was a real struggle shuffle. I hoped to run a little longer than I did, but any run beats no run. I went to BodyPump that night and took out my frustrations by increasing the weight on the shoulder track.

On Friday, I worked all day. I guess that’s one positive thing about not racing, I got to work an entire day, write documentation, test help systems, and take my mind off of life. I just needed a drink and a hug. I managed to shower and drive to a fashion show event at Fleet Feet Mt. Pleasant and talked to some friends, drank a glass of wine, and got a few hugs.

Saturday’s run was crazy. I ran the Cooper River Bridge, which was under a “high wind advisory”. I don’t check the weather before I run (I try to run in it all), so I didn’t know that until I was already finished. The wind blew me into the guard rail twice, and I almost fell twice- once because the wind was at my back on a downhill. Some runs build endurance and some runs build speed- but this run built toughness.

Afterwards, I went back to Fleet Feet to do some shopping. Clay and I also went out to lunch at MOD Pizza. They have a build-your-own-salad option and it was really good- you could add as many veggies as you wanted for one price.

On Sunday, I did an easy run with the group. I ran alone the entire time, but  it was nice to be in the picture and see people before and after. It was still windy, but not nearly as bad as Saturday, thankfully. I did some grocery shopping and other house stuff to round out the week.

I hope everyone has a great week!

I’m linking up with Holly, Wendy, and Courtney for their weekly wraps. Come join the fun!

This entry was posted in BodyPump, Fleet Feet Mount Pleasant, Summerville Running, Team Janky, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Weekly Rundown: February 26 – March 4

1. My glute has been acting up too. I think I pushed the pace a little too much on Friday’s run, Saturday felt okay, but the DOMS must have set in on Sunday because I bailed halfway through my long run. Ibuprofen for breakfast is scary accurate these days.

Sorry you missed out on the races this weekend 😦

Yeah, it stinks to not run races, but I’m hoping I’ll get back to that (someday). It sucks to have the pain return like crazy anytime I try to push the pace. I think it’s something with opening my stride but everyone whose had this injury seems to say the same thing about pace.

2. Wendy says:

I totally get your frustration at being on the sidelines (that’s my subtitle on my blog, btw-“sitting on the sidelines is no fun”). Hopefully, grumpy glute will start to smile and you’ll be moving with the best of them. Hang in there….

I hope so too. It’s really tough being the slowest person at a group run, or being the person who CAN’T do a speed workout at the track. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad to be running and around others, I just hate the limits.

3. I like those places where you can build your own salads, but usually the more you add the more you have to pay for each ingredient. I am currently in training mode and got a massage recently, it was lovely! I never had cupping done. Is it only done if you have an injury?

We have a really good salad restaurant here, Verde, where you can build your own, and the first so many ingredients are included but then extras cost. That’s what I liked about MOD Pizza- I probably got 10 different toppings on my salad but one price. It stinks to go to a restaurant and be charged a lot for just a little topping, and those toppings add up.

4. runeatralph says:

I totally get the FOMO from seeing a bunch of race posts. A 40 mile week with hugs, wine and free protein sounds pretty good to me though 🙂

You are entitled to every ounce of FOMO right now, but you have the best attitude ever for an injured runner. I know it is probably much harder on the day-to-day than your blog lets on, though. I feel like it really is a struggle and sometimes we have to work hard to have that positive attitude.

• runeatralph says:

It’s helpful to have people (like you) that can relate. You have kept me cheered up quite a bit and it’s appreciated. I really do believe I’ll come back better. It might take longer than I want it to, but I have hope and hope is powerful.

I too think you would come back strong- it’s like you said in your last blog post, you’re working on other areas of your fitness with the PT exercises and even the hand bike. I may not be running speed workouts, but I am still running and laying down a base of easy mileage.

If nothing else, maybe the strength training for my upper body will help me get tank top arms for the summer, right?

• runeatralph says:

Yes! My arms are about as big as my calves now. 😦

5. All of my friends were out running their longest marathon training runs, and my butt was on the couch due to a cold 😦 That’s some FOMO for sure! And during my couching, I organized pictures and saw my training pics from last year – when I ran a full minute faster (and then some) than I do now. Talk about an extra bummer when I’m down. I hear ya, goodbye week 🙂 Here’s to better weeks ahead!!

I’m right there with ya. It’s hard with this injury that never seems to go away. It’s more like “managing it” rather than recovering. It’s crazy that in November I was only 90 seconds off PRing my half marathon on a hilly course. Now, my most recent 5K wasn’t even at that pace, and it hurt.

I know things could always be worse, but that doesn’t seem like a valid point now… things could also be better, they’ve been better. I hope they will be better someday!

6. Angela says:

Arrrggghhh runner-missing-out is the worst. When I’m hurt I don’t even want to *see* all those posts! Mostly I just want to sit on the curb & throw things at runners. (I kid, I kid! Mostly.)

7. HoHo Runs says:

You’ll be off of team janky soon! I know you feel limited, but at least you can run some miles. Like you said…any run beats no run. The times I was injured and couldn’t run at all, I had to step away from social media some. It helped. 😉 Hang in there! Thanks for linking.

8. LOL at “gainz”. I just do strength training on my own now (loving kettle bells and free weights at the moment) but used to do BP alllll the time. It’s hard to go to others classes when you’re teaching but I plan on getting back to one of those classes soon.

I used to strength train on my own but love BodyPump- the music is great and I know what I’m getting. I know just how much to lift on each track and it’s fun to be with others. If I’m doing it on my own, I’m pretty likely to cut the workout short, or just skip it if training gets crazy.

• Body pump has a pretty CULT-ish following too!! I’m an instructor so I totally get what you mean, sis. Good on ya!

I can see that about BodyPump (or any group fitness class, or running for that matter). If I were really serious about strength training, I’d probably do more low-rep/high weight training- there is definitely a limit to how much you can lift in BodyPump. Still, it works great for my needs (aside from crazy busy weeks when I just can’t fit the class in).

• Nothing wrong with that! We are on the same page. Great job and keep up the running!

9. I saw your status last week about needing a hug! I was hoping you were doing okay. I really want to try and do some more weight classes at the gym. I rarely do lower weight, more rep type work so I always feel like I’m dying when I do. But I think it’s good to do both. I also really want to get more into yoga in hopes of helping my back, but I still haven’t made it to one class yet. Oops!

I never lift heavy weights! I guess I’m a little scared to try it without people around to help me, and I have no clue where to start. I only do low weight/high rep and things like BodyPump. I feel like a lot of ladies wouldn’t strength train without BodyPump, which is weird because I read that when Les Mills developed the class, the goal was to get men into group fitness- but it seems like it’s gotten more ladies into lifting.

• I had no idea that the goal was to get men into group classes. The gym where I went that had it was ALL female in BodyPump! If I ever make it back to Charleston and join a gym, I’d lift with you! But I always thought you liked keeping the weights lighter!

We have a few guys who BodyPump at Zoo Fitness. Actually, all three of them are runners. One wears race shirts to every class and one actually ran from his home in Carolina Bay TO the BodyPump class.

I’ve never tried to lift for real. You know, like, sets of 8-12 reps with a heavier weight. I guess I just find that intimidating. Clay and I went to a gym once and he helped me do some squats in a squat rack, but I wouldn’t feel right doing it alone. I don’t know where to start and am scared I’d get hurt.

10. Ugh sorry you had a stressful week and are still dealing with gimpy glute. BOO! I agree – worst part about not running is seeing your friends running pictures and wishing you were with them!