Weekly Rundown: February 19-25

Happy Monday, everyone. Charleston’s experiencing record heat, and for the first time since the January snow, I’m not cold. I may be on #TeamJanky, but at least I’m not on #TeamBlanky like Linus from Peanuts.

Warm Amy is brought to you by iron supplements, being tan, and running outside when the high temperature is in the 80s in February.

image

As for me, same story different week. Too little running, too much rehabbing. I’ll be glad to convert those gym cardio sessions to running miles someday when Grumpy Glute finally heals. I miss training and racing!

Monday 60 min. Arc Trainer + 45 min. BodyPump
Tuesday 7.1 miles
Wednesday 60 min. Elliptical + 6.7 miles
Thursday 7.3 miles + 60 min. BodyPump
Friday 10 min. backwards elliptical/stretching
Saturday 10.25 miles
Sunday 6.2 miles + 10 min. backwards elliptical/stretching
Total 37.6 miles

Grumpy Glute wasn’t happy on Monday, so I cross trained instead of running. I did increase my weights at BodyPump, so I guess that’s something good to say about Monday.

On Tuesday, I felt a little better and slightly more recovered from Run Oak Island. I headed out for an easy run in my neighborhood and found $20 on the ground. Who says hobbyjogging doesn’t pay? I’m basically a sponsored athlete now!

I came home and drank an Irish Cream smoothie out of one of my favorite pint glasses and hid my $20 until a rainy day (or the next time I need cash).

image

I ellipticaled on Wednesday morning, and on Wednesday night, I went to the Fleet Feet Summerville pub run at Icehouse. We had a big crowd, and it was nice to run with friends on Sawmill Branch Trail.

My friend Jon has a grumpy left glute and I have a grumpy right glute. Together, we’re one big pain in the ass.

image

I love Icehouse and the food there is delicious (especially the salads), but I opted to come home after the run to save some money. Of course, I left my keys at the pub, so I had to run back from my car- at least I got some extra mileage, right?

I planned to run in the neighborhood again on Thursday, but a neighbor posted this picture, so I took my run to the treadmill.

image

The gator in the pond usually isn’t that close to the road, but if I see him, my easy pace turns into wannabe Usain Bolt, and Grumpy Glute can’t handle that right now. I had a good run on the treadmill- it beats not running after all- and I watched some trash TV. I did BodyPump again on Thursday night and kept the weight the same as Monday night.

On Saturday, I ran the Cooper River Bridge into downtown Charleston for a long run. It was a warm day and the bridge was packed. The Royal Caribbean cruise ship was in port, so I ran by the crowds of people getting off the ship and yelled “Welcome to Charleston!”. I’m sure it was more welcoming than the humidity.

After my run and getting cleaned up, I went to lunch at Verde with Shawanna, Shannon, and Emily. Verde is a salad restaurant, and since it’s so healthy, we had to make up the nutritional difference by going to Gala for desserts. We split a cookies and cream cake, vanilla ice cream, and a brownie sundae. It was 80 degrees outside that afternoon, which makes for hot runs but a beautiful day to sit outside, and we had a great time.

image

image

If you’re in the Avondale area of West Ashley/Charleston, I highly recommend both Verde and Gala. Gala has an awesome happy hour from 4-7 every day with $5 tapas and specialty cocktails and $6 wine, so I’m pretty sure I’ll be going back soon.

image

On Sunday, I met up with the Onshore Recreation group at Hampton Park and ran a little over six miles downtown. My glute still felt “off”, and I don’t want to increase my mileage too much right now- plus it was HOT! I was fine with cutting the run a little short after Saturday’s long run on the bridge anyway.

We had a big crowd. I love my Church (Of The Sunday Long Run).

image

Thanks for following along, and I hope everyone has a wonderful week.

I’m linking up with Holly and Wendy for their weekly wrap link. Come join the fun!

This entry was posted in Anemia, Avondale/West Ashley, Fleet Feet Pub Run, Fleet Feet Summerville, OnShore Recreation, Summerville Running, Team Janky, Training Log, West Ashley and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Weekly Rundown: February 19-25

1. Hollie says:

That dessert looks awesome and I want to go to Charleston now! Any creature makes me a speedster almost immediately. It does sound like you are making good gains towards being healthy and injury free though!

2. Wendy says:

I found a $20 once while running too! It was so exciting, considering that I usually pick up pennies.

I hope your glute stops being grumpy very soon!

I don’t pick up pennies on the run. I’d pick up a quarter if I saw one, because I need them for the carts at Aldi. Otherwise the change would probably jingle in my shorts pocket and I’m not sure it’d be worth it to deal with that for a few miles.

3. I would not call 37 miles in a week little running. I have never found any amount of money while running. Maybe a few pennies. That cake look delicious!

This is the most I’ve ever found on a run. 37 miles isn’t bad, but I really wish I could be running instead of doing the arc trainer or elliptical. I miss running six days a week and doing speed workouts. This stupid injury hurts like crazy if I run fast (it is manageable at speeds slower than marathon pace).

4. Hungrymountaineer says:

Okay, now I’m a bit thankful for the rattlesnakes I see on my runs here in California because at least they are not gators! Just wow! And I love your margarita photo! Hilarious!

5. That cake! I’ll take a slice for lunch right now. There is a library conference in Charleston each year…so maybe someday I’ll have an excuse to head down and eat some delicious desserts.

I know what library conference you’re talking about. It’s usually held at Middleton Place which is near me. If you ever come down, let me know and we can go for a run and go get dessert :).

6. I’m not sure I’m liking the upward trend in hamstring/glute issues. I know far too many people with this issue now. But maybe your friend Jon can help us find a miracle cure? 🙂
    Ohio is getting up in to the 50’s this week. Spring is just around the corner!

7. runeatralph says:

A $20?! That’s a pretty good haul. An irish cream smoothie sounds amazing, so that was someone else’s money well spent. 🙂

I make the smoothies myself- I never go out for them. I actually tried a free sample of one at the mall the other day, then came home and made a copycat version that was lower calorie and tasted better. I drink smoothies almost every single day. It’s the best.

• runeatralph says:

I get on a smoothie kick every once in a while. When I was putting high miles in, I’d make a chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie with some protein in it. That hit the SPOT!

That’s the kind I sampled at the mall- I came home and made it with PB2 instead of peanut butter, and almond milk instead of whatever they use at the mall (probably with way more calories than almond milk). The smoothies taste so good after a hot run when I might not want food.

8. M says:

Twenty bucks?! Dang! I get excited when I find a dollar! Once I found two dollars on the same run and pretty much felt like I’d won the lottery. I’d probably do a dance over a twenty! LOL

Oh, I was pretty stoked. On my way back I stopped and walked around that area a bit to see if I could find any more money.

I think I’ll always look when I run by there from now on, not like someone’s going to randomly drop cash in the same place again, but it will be a habit…

9. HoHo Runs says:

I once found $20 as well. Sometimes I’ll pick up a coin just to declare it my lucky coin for a race. That hasn’t worked yet. Even though I know you are on team janky, I’m still impressed with the miles you are running each week. I’m not sure what I’d do if I saw a gator on my run. Faint? Thanks for linking!

I try with the mileage. My glute is most grumpy when I run anything fast. I’ve honestly debated just increasing my mileage to build a strong base until I can do speedwork again. I guess that’s what I’m doing but then every day just feels a little different.

I don’t think the gators here are harmful, just not something I want to see on the run. Usually they are pretty far away from people but sometimes they come into people’s yards, depends on how close the person lives to a pond.

10. sarahdudek80 says:

Happy heat wave! That sounds just wonderful. Although, I can’t complain because we almost have no snow left in our yard and that is totally unheard of for her this time of year. I have found bills laying around at times in NYC and it is the coolest feeling.

Sounds like I need to go run in NYC… I have heard that outside bars is the best place to find money but I never run past any bars really (I don’t run that part of downtown).

11. AJ says:

It sounds like not a bad week:). The Irish cream smoothie sounds good! How do you make it? Around here, bears and cougars motivate us to run fast:)

12. Angela says:

Money & pretty drrinks? YAY!
    Sketch gator? BOO.
    At least you’re managing to get a good amount of mileage in while you heal up!