Weekly Rundown: Jan 29-Feb 4

Happy February and best wishes to those nursing a Super Bowl hangover this morning.

SNAGHTML2fad1c7b

I had a pretty good week with some runs and more cross training than I’d like. I’m not pushing the run distance or pace and just enjoying the process right now. It’s really nice to be back in pre-run and post-run pics with everyone.

In real girl life news, I saw a new doctor on Friday because I decided that (at 32) I probably need a primary care doc. The new doc is understanding, spends a lot of time with you, and is neither “rest happy” or “needle happy” when it comes to running injuries. I’m five pounds over my happy weight and generally out of shape, but my resting heart rate is 47.

At least some remnants of my athletic past are sticking around.

Monday 60 min. Arc Trainer + 45 min. BodyPump
Tuesday 5 miles
Wednesday 6.1 miles + 30 min. stair climber
Thursday 5 miles + 60 min. BodyPump
Friday No workout
Saturday 10.2 miles
Sunday 6.2 miles
Total 32.5 miles

Monday was a boring cross training day. It’s February and even non-injured people are still packing the gym.

Tuesday was chilly, so I headed to Planet Fitness to treadmill. They replaced the treadmills, so none of the new treadmills were hooked up to the TVs/sound. I watched TV with the subtitles on, but Planet Fitness had no music so it was eerily quiet. I only managed five miles on the treadmill before the extreme silence was too much for me.

On Wednesday, I did a quick stair climber sesh then headed to track to run with friends. I did something that kinda resembled a marathon pace tempo run while everyone else ran speedy mile repeats and 200s. I miss the fast stuff, but there will be plenty of time for it once my mileage and strength are built up.

image

Thursday was another easy run and more BodyPump. I like BodyPump, especially the new release (104), and will increase my weights on the leg tracks more next week. Lifting gives me an excuse to drink chocolate peanut butter protein smoothies.

Saturday was Charleston cold. That means it was cold enough to “feel like” below freezing and wear pants. The stupid groundhog was right, and since I needed serious motivation, I decided to crash the Summerville YMCA in Training group run that met to run the bridge. I knew meeting the group would keep me accountable and sharing SOME of the miles with friends would make the whole run that much easier. Plus, the group met at Whole Foods and I needed to buy some overpriced groceries and spend my whole technical writer paycheck.

image

We warmed up, ran to the top of the bridge, then ran back down to run up again with the other runners behind us until everyone was at the top. Some ran back down for a 4-5 mile run and others continued to run the whole bridge for 7 miles. I ran the bridge, then felt good and kept going. I ended up with a little over 10 miles- my longest run since the Kiawah Island Half Marathon. It feels good to hit double-digit runs again.

image

After running, grocery shopping, and a quick stop at home to get cleaned up, I went downtown for lunch at Dellz Uptown with Emily.

Dellz Uptown is a vegetarian/vegan/healthy restaurant that has delicious salads, wraps, pizzas, and is budget-friendly. I had the Tummy Yummy Mahi wrap, which was more like a burrito and I could only eat half of it. Dellz also has some really good chocolate chip cookies and other desserts, and I already want to go back and try everything else on the menu.

image

On Sunday, I headed to Hampton Park for the OnShore Recreation group run, but turned around after 3 miles instead of continuing on for the full 8 mile route, so I had a 6 mile easy run. We had a good crowd and it was nice to beat the forecasted rain- just like last week, the rain started as soon as we finished the run. The wind was crazy but we got it done.

I hope everyone has a great start to February. Stay warm!

I’m linking up with Holly and Wendy for their weekly wrap link. Come join the fun!

This entry was posted in BodyPump, Cooper River Bridge Run, OnShore Recreation, Summerville Running, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Weekly Rundown: Jan 29-Feb 4

1. Hollie says:

Glad to see you running again Amy and in the double digits. It’s so interesting that there was no music in PF. Everytime I’ve gone to one, they are blasting. At least they got new treadmills which probably felt nice.

Thanks Hollie. Planet usually has music- fairly loud music at that (have heard it over my earphones sometimes). I’m not sure why it was off that day. With no sound from the cardio TV on the machine, the music would’ve helped a bit!

2. Wendy says:

Nice week and if you ran 32 miles, I”d say you’re not “out of shape”! Glad you’re getting back at it.

3. runeatralph says:

I want to run on that bridge and I want to eat that wrap.

4. Nice to see you running again and starting to build your mileage! Your new doctor sounds like a good fit for a runner.

Thanks- I am hoping to continue building mileage this week, because I didn’t feel super wrecked today. I still opted to cross train today instead of running, so I’m sticking with 5 days a week of running for one more week, but hopefully will start back with actual workouts soon too.

5. HoHo Runs says:

I know you are a high(er) mileage runner. So with 32.5 this week ,I’ll say your building/return to regular running phase is going well. My doctor retired (female) and I have an appointment with my new doc (female) this month. I hope I have the same great connection I had with my previous doc. If not, I’ll keep looking. It makes all the difference in the world. Thanks for linking!

Yeah- that was my thoughts with this doc. I decided going in that if he wasn’t cool, I would look around for another because I really need a PCP (not getting any younger here, and tired of going to urgent care for things… you never know what you will get there).

I was a little aggressive in the first few weeks back to running, now I’m not adding quite as many miles in but I do plan to add some this week, just as an extra mile or so onto runs I’m already doing. I’ve never thought of myself as a higher mileage runner, though.

6. I’m still up around 4 lbs over my “ideal” weight too. But dang, I’m only running 15-20 miles a week! I’d be thrilled to be getting close to 30. Right now I’m just making sure I don’t overdo anything because I feel like I am making some progress. My PCP is a sports Dr and I think he’s good. Of course the only things I ever go to him for are “overuse injuries” and “rashes”. Poison ivy is not my friend. Glad to see you getting back into your running groups!

I’ve had an ortho for YEARS and didn’t have a PCP. Aside from running injuries, I really don’t go to the doc. Well, there was that sinus infection when I got the antibiotics from hell that made my tendon issues 100% worse. That’s mainly WHY I decided to get a PCP, because Urgent Care is luck of the draw sometimes. I hope that you’ll be able to increase mileage someday and get back to where you want to be with running. You’re still doing a great job with what you can, and that is the best any of us can expect or ask of ourselves <3.

7. jennaruns says:

Great week! You’re a strong runner and in great shape. I only hope to be in as great of shape as you!! I like how you organize your workouts of the week in a chart for your blog. Also I MUST try that Dellz place! Yum!

I’m not in really great shape right now, lol, but thanks. I’m in better shape than non-runners but definitely not ready to race or run remotely fast.

If you’re ever in Charleston and want vegetarian food, Dellz is the place to go! It is perfect for a vegetarian or vegan with meat eating friends because they have good selections for both.

8. Elizabeth C. says:

It’s great you finally have a primary care doctor that will get to know you and your history. The fitness you have built up over the past 5 years doesn’t just slip away with a little bit of down time so I am not surprised by your resting HR. I track mine with a FitBit and love it.