Chronicles of Cross Training: Jan. 1-7

After a tough 2017, I’m excited for 2018 and some new beginnings.

With my janky hamstring and knee, I’m not starting 2018 as I hoped. Santa didn’t bring me a brand new lower body, and I only ran 15 miles in the last three weeks of 2017. Even that 15 miles was over THREE runs. Whomp whomp.

15747450_10154638512025791_1743669964812921559_n_thumb.jpg

Between a cruise vacation, injuries, holidays, and snow days, I gained weight. This is a taboo topic for many, but when I ran my 5K and 10K PRs back in April 2016, I was about six pounds lighter. At 5’0”, I feel like every pound shows, and I’m not happy at this weight. This isn’t “muscle weighs more than fat”- this is “I ate too many Christmas cookies and chocolate cake” weight gain. Thankfully, Clay has started a low-carb diet, so the desserts in our home have been replaced with lots of veggies (and meat for him).

The weather in Charleston isn’t doing me any favors. The temperature hasn’t hit 40 degrees ALL YEAR. The local news even posted this picture on Tuesday.

image

On Wednesday, Charleston got a legitimate snowstorm, with 6 inches of snow-  the most since 1989 (I’ll blog more about the snow next week, once it’s gone). Most of us don’t own winter coats, let alone winter running gear, because who wants to spend money on clothes needed MAYBE every few years. South Carolina doesn’t have snow plows or salt trucks, and the temperatures stayed low, so the snow that DID melt re-froze into a messy ice situation. This, combined with so many bridges and overpasses, made travel extremely dangerous.

Clay and I actually made it to the gym on Wednesday morning- bright and early at 6 AM before the action started. We said we were glad we got out when we did on Wednesday for one last workout before the snow, even if it was a short workout.

image

Later, the City of Charleston declared a state of emergency. Of course, some people “need” Starbucks, Chinese food, or a 10 mile treadmill run and believe that is emergency travel. No workout is worth risking your life over, or the first responder who is working (when you are off) and who may have to save you. Take a walk in the snow, pop in a fitness DVD, or do body weight exercises. Or… don’t.

Besides, snow is the perfect opportunity to train for a different kind of marathon- a Netflix marathon. I set a PR this week!

cct.jpg

Monday 4 miles + 30 min. Arc Trainer
Tuesday 6.3 miles + 60 min. BodyFlow
Wednesday 40 min. Elliptical + PT exercises
Thursday PT exercises
Friday 30 min. Elliptical
Saturday 60 min. Arc Trainer
Sunday 90 min. Arc Trainer

The first week of 2018 was basically a fail on the running AND cross training fronts. I served my time in “running jail” (the gym) when I could, but my 6.3 mile run (too long), combined with missing Thursday’s Active Release Therapy session due to the snow, set me back a bit.

image

By Sunday, I felt like running but decided to hold off one more day so that I could possibly run outdoors on Monday and attempt an every-other-day running schedule next week.

I don’t believe in “signs”, but waking up hurting on Wednesday, the snow, and my overall lack of motivation were good reasons to take one more easy week and resume running next week. What little fitness I had is certainly gone, but hopefully sunny days, warmer temperatures, and melting snow will help.

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Come join the fun!

This entry was posted in Injury, Team Janky, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Chronicles of Cross Training: Jan. 1-7

1. Hollie says:

I’m obviously a bit further north but NJ doesn’t have the resources for these snow storms either…but why should we you know? These storms don’t happen much and it seems silly to waste money on that when we can be hurricane ready, or whatever we need yearly.

Yeah, we get hurricanes every year and Charleston floods every few weeks or so. Still, six inches of snow… and snow that’s hanging around this long… is extremely rare. The snow fell on Wednesday and I woke up to it this morning- it’s STILL here!

2. Wendy says:

Hopefully, you’ll feel once things thaw there. It’s been a rough couple of weeks all around!

3. AJ says:

I hear you on the every pound showing! I am 4’7″and am feeling every ounce of the five pounds i put on over Christmas!

4. runeatralph says:

I know those easy weeks feel like an eternity, but you’re wise for taking them. When we finally get back to 100% we are going to KILL IT.

5. I can’t believe it was colder in Charleston than in Anchorage! That’s wild! Yay for Netflix marathons, haha. That sounds awesome. I love that you call the gum running jail. You’re too funny!! I hope it’s warming up in Charleston now!

The term “running jail” comes from my friend Roscoe. He was the president of Grand Strand Running Club and is a great guy all around. He’s had his share of setbacks too, including heart issues and hospitalizations… and every time he is out for awhile, he calls it “running jail”. But he always comes back, and I will too.

6. I agree with you on taking some more time off. You will come back better and stronger. Best of luck! x

7. Terry and I looked up the weather in Iceland and it was warmer than Charleston! (it was 40!)
    Hang in there with the injuries. 2018 will be much kinder to the both of us!

I hope so. I just want to feel better and run with my friends again- sure, having a race time you’re proud of is great and all, but I miss seeing you guys and just being together.

If I can get through this year without any other injuries that will be my PR.

8. HoHo Runs says:

Same situation here with the lack of winter coats and city snow removal equipment. We come to a complete stop when there is snow but oddly we do have a few inches every few years. I love that Barbie graphic. I think we all feel that way after the holidays. I’m willing to bet you haven’t lost as much fitness as you think. Hang in there! Thanks for linking!

I’m ready to run so I can at least see how much fitness I’ve lost. The half I ran in November, I ran a 1:39… that seems so long ago now. I am trying to at least keep decent endurance so that when I do start training again, it won’t be super hard.

9. sarahdudek80 says:

This weather really threw everyone off over the past week or so. So crazy. We didn’t have school up here one day because it was so cold. That is crazy for Northern Michigan. You’re doing a really great job of listening to your body. Sometimes our bodies just aren’t great at listening to us!