Weekly Rundown: November 20-26

So, who has a Thanksgiving leftover hangover this Monday morning? *Raises hand*

image

Like most years, we spent Thanksgiving with Clay’s family, where I ran a turkey trot and we all enjoyed a delicious meal and each other’s company. Clay’s parents went on the same cruise we did a few weeks ago, but we hadn’t visited the rest of his family (or the Florence SC area) in awhile. It was neat visiting the area that used to be “home”.

This week, I resumed “training” and counted the Turkey Trot as a workout since it was midweek. I ran a halfway decent weekly mileage, but I didn’t feel particularly good during any run. I’m not sure if I haven’t recovered from the Lexington Half Marathon, the two illnesses I had before that race, or if I’m coming down with something new?

When you run six days a week, you’re bound to have one run that feels off, but I didn’t feel “on” all week. I’m not going to plan ANY workouts and just do what I feel like until I feel better. Trying to train when I’m tired and achy isn’t serving my body or making me a better runner, and races and runs will be there when I feel healthier.

Monday 60 min. elliptical + ITB Rehab Routine
Tuesday 6.3 miles
Wednesday 5.3 miles + ITB Rehab Routine
Thursday 7.4 miles including Hartsville YMCA Turkey Trot 5K (22:40)
Friday 3.1 miles
Saturday 11.1 miles (Bridge, Brews, and Brunch) + ITB Rehab Routine
Sunday 8 miles + 60 min. BodyFlow
Total 42.2 miles

None of my runs this week were impressive, but I ran six times. Tuesday and Wednesday were easing back into running as my calf strain recovered. On Tuesday, I saw a PT, who seemed to think the calf pain was a strain that was on its way out, so I wore a calf sleeve for my runs until Sunday, when I felt good enough to take it off.

I also went to the Charleston Running Club social at LGs by the Creek on Tuesday night, but didn’t run.

image

I jumped into the Hartsville YMCA Turkey Trot 5K on Thursday morning. Since I wasn’t sure how my calf would feel, I didn’t register until the morning of the race. I woke up feeling “just okay” and decided to run because Thanksgiving *is* the biggest running and racing day of the year, and I wanted to be a part of that. Plus, I wanted to hang out and run with some local friends who I don’t get to see or run with very often.

I wasn’t ready for the hills or curves in this 5K, and my time was pretty sad, but I was thankful that I’m not too injured to run and I got to see old friends and meet some new friends (human friends, not just inflatable turkeys).

image

We came back to Charleston just in time for Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and the Cyber Weekend of online shopping. I didn’t do much shopping besides going to The Foot Store (one of our local running stores) and the new Southern Living store in Mt. Pleasant Towne Center. I did buy some Christmas presents at Southern Living, and I had to take a picture of their gorgeous tree.

image

On Saturday, I ran with the Charleston Beer Runners in the monthly Bridge, Brews, and Brunch run. CBR runs a short run every Thursday night, and one Saturday each month, has a longer run to a brunch restaurant/bar. I was excited to finally be able to run one, but had a crazy experience getting started. I planned to meet at Tradesman Brewing Company to run over the bridge with Dan before meeting the group. The route was a 10K, so we wanted to start at the destination to add on miles for a long run.

I had to detour for a road closure and got lost on the way to the brewery. Driving down King Street, I saw a car with a 26.2 running sticker on the back and figured the driver was a Charleston Beer Runner heading to the brewery. I followed that car, which went to the wrong brewery (Edmund’s Oast). Turns out, the driver wasn’t there to run but was a marathon runner going to a brewery- NOT someone doing the run. Oops.

I ended up meeting Dan and some others at Hampton Park and we ran 5.2 miles before meeting with the rest of CBR to run to Tradesman. I felt like poop but it was nice to run a long run with others and hang out afterwards.

On Sunday, I ran with OnShore Recreation, and ended up running a little faster than I hoped- so once again, I finished pooped. I came home to drink a smoothie, decorate for Christmas, and go to yoga. Sunday was a pretty good way to recover from the crazy holiday weekend and get rejuvenated before a busy week of work.

I hope everyone had a great weekend and that training (or tapering for Kiawah) are going better for you than for me!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Come join the fun!

This entry was posted in Charleston Beer Runners, Thankful, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Weekly Rundown: November 20-26

1. AJ says:

The brewery run and brunch sounds fun!

2. Christine says:

Sorry you’ve been feeling under the weather. This is the worst time of year for that here for a runner. We’ve had such perfect running weather and it only lasts a short while! I hope you feel better soon.

I know right? Why couldn’t I be in shape and logging the mileage now instead of this summer when it was miserable? If I’m gonna be sick and injured, this is the worst time for it.

3. sarahdudek80 says:

Brewery runs are a perfect combo. Sorry to hear that you are feeling a bit off. I think that is totally normal and I applaud you for being wise and just running as you feel this week. I think that is a great mental and physical break that we all need at times.

4. HoHo Runs says:

I’m very much in awe of your weekly mileage even though you were feeling under the weather! You had a lot of social running this week too which makes it fun. When I’m driving to a new race, I always follow the cars with the running stickers. I guess they could lead you wrong! Glad to hear your calf has improved! Thanks for linking.

Yeah, I also do it when driving to races… guess it doesn’t work so well when driving to breweries. The lady got out of the car, and she was wearing a long skirt and had shopping bags, because this particular brewery has a farmer’s market on Saturday’s. Definitely not there for running and drinking!

5. Apart from getting lost, that brewery & brunch run sounds amazing. I need to figure out which of my local breweries have brunch so I can try something similar.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Some breweries here serve food (one has a pizza place inside), but most do have food trucks on the weekends. I’ve tried so many new-to-me places with Charleston Beer Runners, they always run to neat bars and restaurants.

6. I can totally relate to the turkey & scale pic! It’s not just from Thanksgiving for me – it’s more of “still eating like I’m training” that’s doing me in! The holidays are a bad time for me not to be knee deep in a training plan.

7. Six runs in one week is definitely impressive! It’s smart of you to take care of your body and just listen to what it’s telling you in terms of aches and pains! Love the picture with you and the turkey and I’m glad you had a nice Thanksgiving with Clay’s family!

8. Angela says:

You know, just due to traveling & scheduling conflicts I have yet to do a Turkey Trot in my life and I really want to! My sister wanted to do one together this year but it just didn’t work out timing wise.

Also, calf sleeves! Thanks for the reminder. I know I have some somewhere, so maybe I’ll dig them out & see if they help at all.

Personally, I’m always surprised at how many people do turkey trots EVERY SINGLE YEAR! I know a lady in my town who has done our 5K for the past 15 years. Her son has done it every year of his life, including years when he was in her belly or in a jogging stroller. I’ve had Thanksgivings where I’ve been travelling, we’ve hosted, I’ve been injured, etc. Can’t say I will ever have a streak likes theirs.

Calf sleeves are great if you’re having any niggles. Compression in general can be pretty awesome!

9. Elizabeth C. says:

I think the fact that you ran six times is impressive. Being consistent is far more important than having a killer workout once every several weeks. LOL about following the wrong car. Just a marathoner going to bar! 🙂

At 10 in the morning :).

I really do think she was going to the Farmer’s Market since she had reusable bags with her. Then again, reusable bags are good for carrying multiple growlers to the car.