Weekly Rundown: November 13-19

Standing on the starting line of a race takes guts, and sometimes choosing not to stand on that starting line takes even more guts.

image

This week’s original plan was to prioritize recovering from the Lexington Half Marathon, while still logging some training for the Kiawah Island Half Marathon in December and using Saturday’s 911 Heroes Run as a tempo run.

We all know what happens to the best laid plans.

Monday 60 min. Arc Trainer + ITB Rehab Routine
Tuesday 8.1 miles
Wednesday 6.3 miles + ITB Rehab Routine
Thursday 8.1 miles
Friday 60 min. Yoga
Saturday 45 min. Arc Trainer
Sunday 75 min. Yoga + Volunteering at 911 Heroes Run
Total 22.4 miles.

This time last week, I was on top of the world after my half marathon, and today, I’ve been knocked on my bum.

I had some calf pain near my knee early in the week but thought it was soreness from Lexington. I knew it would take me a few days to recover from that race because I was only 90 seconds slower than my PR (after being sick) and on a tougher course. My runs early in the week were easy, including Wednesday night’s track meetup.

image

When my calf hurt after Thursday’s run, I realized it wasn’t simply post-race soreness, so I shut my training down for a few days, opting for yoga and the Arc Trainer. I’m hoping I only need a few days off, not weeks, but I’m prepared for the worst and hoping for the best. You don’t escape #TeamJanky that easily.

Ironically, I had an injured knee this weekend last year (thanks for the reminder, Timehop). The month of November is cursed for me, and it’s the worst time to not run. We have a short racing/running season here because the weather is hot. November and December have great running weather, but they also have holidays, parties, and family dinners with tons of delicious food and stretchy pants.

Even though workouts were nonexistent this week, yoga was nice! In fact, yoga was the highlight of my week. On Friday night, I went to the Soul Yoga and Wellness one year anniversary party. We had a 60 minute flow class followed by wine and refreshments, including these super cute cookies. I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to eat my favorite yoga pose or my least favorite yoga pose.

image

Sunday morning, I skipped Church of the Sunday Group Run for a 75 minute flow class. My calf cooperated with both classes, and some of the stretches seemed to help a bit. In the spirit of this week and thankfulness, I am grateful that I did two yoga classes. I realized how much I miss practicing in studios with others vs. at home yoga.

Anyway, I hope I’ll be off #TeamJanky sooner rather than later, and hope all of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Good luck with Turkey Trots!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Come join the fun!

This entry was posted in Injury, Team Janky, Training Log and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Weekly Rundown: November 13-19

1. sarahdudek80 says:

Every runner should read this. Sometimes we just have to listen to our body. It stinks when we have plans and have to skip out on them. But perhaps if we didn’t, we would end up missing out on many other events due to injuries getting worse.

What’s crazy is that I see so many runners who DO run and race when injured. I had paid for that race Sunday, and yes, I wanted that medal. Who doesn’t? But there will be more races and medals- it’s not worth it to run when injured just for because it was paid for or to get a medal.

2. Kristin says:

I had to save that graphic – too funny! I am currently sidelined with a wonky knee so I totally feel your pain… literally.

3. Clarinda says:

Sorry about your calf! Hope it feels better soon. Yoga is nice. 🙂 Love the yoga cookies. How fun! Which did you eat – your most favorite, or least?

I secretly wondered if anyone would ask! I ate one of those yellow cookies that is a 1, which is tree pose. It’s not my favorite or least favorite, but it is a great pose for both balance and hip opening.

4. runeatralph says:

You’re being a smart runner and that will pay off. I’m proud of you 🙂

5. Laura says:

Congrats on such a strong half! It’s always smart to back off right away and save yourself weeks of recovery. Hopefully you caught it early enough and feel better soon!!

Thanks Laura. I hope so too. I am going to test out the calf soon and hopefully only DAYS off will be needed and not WEEKS!

Also this is a really crummy week to be injured considering it’s all about turkey trots and food!

6. You made the right call, even though it was a little difficult to make. Thank you so much for volunteering! It was great seeing you there supporting all of the runners. hopefully your calf will be good to go and you can toe the line of Kiawah injury free and ready to PR!
    hoping I can see you at the track soon too!!!!

7. HoHo Runs says:

I’m sorry to hear about your calf and hope you are already feeling better! I’ve been on #teamjanky for the last two fall/winters. And, that was so hard since (like you) it’s our prime racing season. Those yoga cookies are so cute. I would have eaten a favorite and least favorite one… Thanks for linking!

8. Elizabeth C. says:

You made the right call. Better to take a few days off now then weeks of in the future. Also, those cookies are absolutely adorable!