Weekly Rundown: November 6-12

Happy Monday everyone! We’re another week closer to the holidays. Of course, I’ve been listening to Christmas music for a week or so already trying to summon cooler weather to Charleston… and if this weekend was any indication, it worked.

By the end of the week, it started to feel like Christmas. Running the Lexington Half Marathon and earning a Christmas ornament age group award made it feel like the holiday season even more.

This week wasn’t without its share of struggles, but that’s not limited to just running and training- it’s life and you have to roll with it. I’m busy with work and a lot of new responsibilities, since I got a promotion a few months ago. We’re getting ready for year-end closing and I had to work on everything that came in when I was on vacation. Clay had the same issues at his job, so both of us pulled some long days this week.

14088631_1766005070309246_8255283943392785878_n

Along with that, I had dizziness and headaches on Monday and Tuesday, and according to Dr. Google, this is quite common after a cruise. The cruise ship rocked a lot, and apparently your body gets used to the rocking and you feel dizzy when you get back to land. Who knew? I also have a few pounds of post-cruise weight to lose, and hopefully I can get closer to my happy weight before the Kiawah Half Marathon in a few weeks.

Monday 8 miles (treadmill tempo) + ITB Rehab Routine
Tuesday 5.1 miles
Wednesday 6.3 miles (10 x 400m) + ITB Rehab Routine
Thursday No workout
Friday 4.6 miles
Saturday 13.2 miles including Lexington Half Marathon (1:39:44)
Sunday 4.3 miles + 45 min. yoga
Total 41.6 miles

Despite headaches and dizziness, I managed to run on Monday and Tuesday. With working late, I ended up on the treadmill at Planet Fitness, but it was pizza night so I grabbed a few slices of Papa John’s while I was there (they were super small slices- trust me, pizza night at Planet Fitness isn’t what haters on the internet want you to believe). I got off work in time to run outside on Tuesday and the temperatures had dropped a little as well so I had a good run.

pf_pizz_thumb.jpg

On Wednesday, I did a 10 x 400m track workout with 200m recoveries. Middle school football games have ended so we can use the track again. We had a small crowd, but Theresa, Jason, Rie, and I took care of business at the Oval Office. It drizzled rain, but the rain wasn’t too bad and was actually kind of refreshing.

image

On Thursday, the weather in Charleston went berserk. It rained (no shocker) and the temperature dropped almost 20 degrees. Apparently the barometric pressure dropped as well, because I woke up feeling every injury from the last YEAR. I think it was a combination of the weather changes, my first track workout in weeks, and needing a complete rest day- so I took a day off.

I was honestly a little worried when I woke up feeling so janky and questioned whether or not I really wanted to run a half marathon this weekend.

I felt better when I woke up on Friday, so I ran a few easy miles. Nothing hurt on the run, so I guess the rest day worked. I packed up and left Charleston for Columbia, where Shawanna, Gena, and I had dinner at Panda Express before tucking in for the night before Saturday’s half marathon.

image

The half marathon went surprisingly well, besides riding the pain train that is a 13.1 mile race. I started out a little slower and eased into my goal pace, not looking at my Garmin. In fact, I was really shocked with my finish time- a 1:39:44. Even though I was sick two weeks ago, on vacation last week, and dizzy on Monday and Tuesday, I was only 90 seconds off my half marathon PR. I’ll recap the race later this week, too.

image

On Sunday, I woke up feeling like the pain train hit me! I wasn’t injured, but never underestimate just how much a half marathon race takes out of your body and mind. I skipped the Hampton Park group run (I really miss those guys because it’s been THREE WEEKS) and schlepped along for 4.3 miles and a 45 minute complimentary yoga class at Lululemon. My body needed the yoga and you just can’t beat free.

I hope everyone has a great week- are you listening to Christmas music yet?

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Come join the fun!

This entry was posted in Summerville Running, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Weekly Rundown: November 6-12

1. sarahdudek80 says:

Congrats on your race. An ornament award is such a great idea. I despise winter weather, but love Christmas. I’m holding out to decorate and turn on the music until after Thanksgiving. But once that day comes, it is on! I used to love Papa Johns. Give me unhealthy dips to dunk my greasy pizza in, and I am going to love it. Honestly, I appreciate that a gym would offer something like that. Giving back to your members is awesome and sure we need to make healthy decisions but sometimes gyms can go the other way with pushing workouts over eating. It’s all about balance. I’d happily hop off of the mill and eat a slice some days. Heck, sometimes I think that is why I run so much is to be able to do things like that!

Thankfully, we don’t get winter weather here. We just get rain- and the temperatures in winter here are really IDEAL for running (that’s about the only time they are ideal for it).

I’ve been a member of many gyms, and Planet Fitness is NOT the only one that has food and perks like that for members- they just get all the criticism for it because they are a large chain of gyms. Every gym I have belonged to has hosted member appreciation cookouts, dinners, etc- and not everything at them is super healthy foods because then people wouldn’t come. Also these slices are super small anyway- a little pizza never hurts anyone.

2. Hollie says:

It’s funny, some half marathons I wake up feeling great the next day…other half marathons I feel like garbage. You just never know. Nice job Amy and I know it has been a tough few weeks (minus vacation).

Thanks Hollie- you are so right. A few years ago, after the Charleston Half Marathon, I didn’t feel like myself for about 9-10 days! I can already tell that this half will be tough for recovery compared to some of the other half marathons I’ve run. I actually took today off running but was so busy with work that I hardly noticed…

3. Congrats on your race!! You did well! My half on Saturday was not as exciting as that, but I was happy with my time based on the year I have had. No need to compare to the years when I was out there BQ’ing in the marathon, because I’m not at that fitness level now! I had no idea there was pizza night at Planet Fitness, but it sounds pretty funny!

Thanks girly- just completing a half marathon is a big accomplishment. So many people will never run that far. It’s worth celebrating no matter what, and running and training have different priorities in life sometimes.

Pizza night is pretty cool. I do love pizza…

4. HoHo Runs says:

Being a mere 90 seconds off of your PR is AMAZING. It sounds like you are setting yourself up for an amazing Kiawah Half. Both of my old foot injuries were talking this week. I didn’t even think about the weather being a factor. (Duh) Shhh…I listen to Christmas music all year. Thanks for linking.

I hope things go well at Kiawah, but I never count on any one race. I don’t do “goal races” anymore- I’m just enjoying the process and taking whatever comes.

Weather is a big factor for my issues and injuries. I don’t know why they flare up when the weather turns cold or changes, but they always do. It’s never terrible and doesn’t keep me from running, but I “feel” them when I wake up!

5. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Congrats on your race – what a comeback after your injury!!! It always surprises me how much a race of any distance takes out of me (granted, I haven’t raced a 5K yet, just 10K, half, and marathon). I always need a down day or two after a half. No Christmas music here yet – I wait until Thanksgiving is over before I listen to it. I like Thanksgiving and Christmas both too much to muddle the two together 🙂

I can’t believe you haven’t raced a 5K… 5Ks are awesome :). Well, they hurt like crazy but it’s a great “workout” for half training too. I’ve never really “raced” a marathon though, I can’t imagine how much that would take out of you. I think being mentally “on” for long periods of time has a lot to do with it, too.

6. Elizabeth C. says:

Great week. Sorry that I am so late to reply. That’s no fun about you feeling dizzy after your cruise. Especially since you were sick at the beginning of it. But it sounds like you were feeling good enough to crank out that track workout, and it’s awesome that you can use it again.