Weekly Rundown: October 30 – November 5

Hey guys! I’m back from the Carnival Ecstasy with a weekly rundown post.

This week’s goal was to run just enough to stay sane and jump back in next week. I didn’t run with anyone, so I don’t have fun stories or pictures to share from workouts, but I will recap Race 13.1 Charleston soon and post more about my cruise vacation. I want to remember my vacation and a few of my real-life friends are interesting in learning more about the ship and cruising since we sailed on a cruise from Charleston. We also celebrated Halloween on the ship and that was a lot of fun.

image

Running while on vacation isn’t for everyone, and I didn’t do ANY formal exercise on our trip to Seattle last year. Taking a week off from running won’t kill you or your training, but after so many years, running – and prioritizing exercise in general – is just a big part of who I am. I thrive on consistency, and getting a few miles in most days makes me a better person to deal with all around (Clay can attest).

Monday 5 miles treadmill + 20 min. stationary bike
Tuesday 5 miles treadmill
Wednesday 5 miles treadmill
Thursday 5 miles treadmill
Friday 6 miles treadmill
Saturday No workout.
Sunday 8 miles (bridge)
Total 34 miles

Talk about a great example of training monotony, but I needed the easier miles.

The week before my cruise, I dealt with a sinus infection, and last Saturday, I went to urgent care, where I got a Z-pack and Prednisone. Normally, the only medications I take are multivitamins, iron supplements, and Hammer Tissue Rejuvenator, and I’m sensitive to medication side effects. Both were five-day courses and helped my sinus infection… while making my heart rate and rate of perceived exertion go through the roof.

BUT… I was on vacation and the unlimited soft-serve machine provided a great recovery snack.

image

No one goes on a cruise to work out, minus those running cruises that feature races and runs in port, so the gym was pretty bare bones. The treadmills were not the greatest, ventilation was a bit rough, and since we were on a moving boat, I had to grab onto the handrails a few times. Cruise ships DO move and you feel it.

Aside from treadmill runs and some walking on the beach, I had a pretty lazy week. I did take the stairs everywhere on the ship, minus debarking on Sunday because elevators are much more appealing than lugging a suitcase up three flights of stairs. Taking the stairs was faster than waiting on the elevators.

On Sunday, we got off the cruise ship at 8 AM, got home before some people were even off the ship, and I saw the ship again that afternoon when I ran the Cooper River Bridge. My first run on dry land was rough because it was an afternoon run and I had “sea legs” from cruising. Vacations are great, but I’m glad to be home and running MY bridge… the bridge that I saw last Sunday from the deck of the cruise ship and pointed out to others.

There’s no place like home, and there’s no place like Charleston.

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Come join the fun!

This entry was posted in Carnival Ecstasy, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Weekly Rundown: October 30 – November 5

1. I’m looking forward to hearing all about your cruise and seeing the pics! I have been on one cruise, and I did use the treadmill. I thought that was interesting the treadmills were in the front of the ship and you could look out the front “windshield”! They also had a track around the ship, but I found that was very hot and disorienting. Did you go on the track too?

I didn’t go out to the track. I read where 12 laps was a mile and decided that wasn’t a great idea considering my injury history (especially on my left foot/peroneal tendon). When I was on Royal Caribbean’s Freedom of the Seas a few years ago, the track was also on the deck so the ends of people’s chairs were on it. Not sure if this one had chairs up there or not, though.

• Our ship had a topless (I mean, “European”) sunbathing area at the top of the ship too. Did you have one?? I did partake in it! You only live once, why not! Giggled the whole time I was there. So silly!!! 😋

We definitely didn’t have one of those decks! I don’t think American cruise ships have them? At least not the traditional lines like Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL, etc… I’ve never heard of that.

I don’t think I’d sunbath topless. I have clear tan lines and would be scared for parts of my body that have never seen the sun to suddenly see the sun!

2. sarahdudek80 says:

Looking forward to hearing about your cruise. I’m all for getting in treadmill runs when on vacation. I need them for sanity reasons and they are perfect when you vacation in an area where it might not be as safe or easy to run outside.

3. Welcome back!!! I hope you were able to decompress while on the cruise and are feeling refreshed and ready to race this weekend! I don’t see how you kept up with treadmill running while on the ship. Kudos!

I hate to say this about the Charleston ship and Carnival, but there really wasn’t a whole lot to do. I can only watch so much TV and spend so much time in the hot tub…

4. HoHo Runs says:

Nice job in staying consistent on your cruise! I can imagine you pretty much had the gym to yourself! It’s been so long since we’ve cruised…I didn’t run back then. On our last one, we could feel the engine vibrations in our cabin and I swear I could still feel them in my own bed for a few days after returning home. Thanks for linking!

5. Elizabeth C. says:

The soft-serve machine is one of my favorite things about cruising. The all-inclusive resort we go to also has one of those. And LOL on the “nobody goes on a cruise to workout” hehehe! Unless it’s a running cruise! Glad you had fun, you really deserved it after all the hard training you’ve done this summer.

The soft serve tasted funny one day, Clay said. He had it every day. I’m not a huge soft serve fan, so I only had it one day but I liked it.

I would love to go on a running cruise like you did. I only ran a little on this cruise, but people in the gym who saw me acted impressed. I can only imagine how they’d react if they knew how much some of my friends- like you- run.

6. I am pretty jealous that you have a cruise port basically in your backyard! That would be really fun for trips! I know what you mean about cruise ships moving while you’re running. When I went on a cruise a few years back, I remember it feeling to weird to be running while on a boat!