Weekly Rundown: October 16-22

Happy Monday everyone! It’s hard to believe that Halloween is almost here. It’s still ridiculously hot in Charleston, but we had one Fall-like day this week. Progress is progress.

Both the Gamecocks and Tigers were on BYE weeks this week, so I took a BYE week from running a race and focused on training hard instead with lots of quality runs- along with lots of fun with friends and even cake.

Monday 8 miles (treadmill intervals) + ITB Rehab Routine
Tuesday 7.4 miles
Wednesday 6.4 miles + ITB Rehab Routine
Thursday 8 miles including 40 min. mid-tempo pace (treadmill)
Friday 60 min. yoga
Saturday 12.2 miles
Sunday 8.1 miles
Total 50.1 miles

Nothing much to report about Monday’s run. It was the Monday after the Avondale 5K, and I normally take it easy the day after the race, but since it was super hot (and supposed to be the last record-breaking hot day), I ran some treadmill intervals.

Tuesday was gorgeous! I ran the Cooper River Bridge and saw a few people I knew out there. I also saw a lot of people wearing coats, long sleeves, tights, and other clothing items that no one in Charleston has any business owning. The temperatures were cool enough to opt for short sleeves instead of a tank top.

We still don’t have track access on Wednesdays thanks to middle school football, so a group of us met to run a route we call “The Spider”, which consists of four streets with uphill sections. We run those four streets twice, since spiders have eight legs, and it’s about as close as you can get to hills in Summerville.

We had a nice crowd, including Vanessa and Kat who missed the picture but still had a great workout. We started at 6, and it was getting dark after we finished- soon we’ll need lights and reflective clothing for runs.

image

I treadmilled again on Thursday, mostly out of convenience with a few work meetings and obligations that day.

Thursday night, I went to the Charleston Beer Runners Birthday Run at Palmetto Brewing Company. Palmetto’s tasting room is currently closed, so they hosted CBR for a private party.

Eryn, the fearless leader, made a delicious cake for the occasion. The cake was a chocolate espresso porter cake (made with Kona coffee & Palmetto Espresso Porter), decorated with chocolate and bourbon buttercream frosting, and a salted caramel drizzle.

image

I don’t run the Thursday runs often, but being in Charleston Beer Runners means a lot to me, and the “birthday party” is especially symbolic. Last year, Hurricane Matthew hit South Carolina on my birthday. The hurricane mostly missed Charleston, but flooded the area where we were evacuated to, so Clay and I ended up coming home early from the evacuation (our home had power and his parents didn’t have power for five days). The devastation in rural South Carolina was rather overlooked by the press.

Needless to say, I didn’t have any cake ON my birthday last year, since stores were closed and we were in the dark all day.

That Thursday after the hurricane, I was still pretty upset after talking to my mom and finding out they were still out of power and were going to a Red Cross charity for hot meals. I cried so much on the phone and when I got off the phone. To cheer up, I went to Charleston Beer Runners, who happened to have a birthday cake that night.

It’s neat to celebrate your birthday close to the founding of one of our running groups, and it’s a rather large group (group photo courtesy of CBR Facebook).

image

I went to a new-to-me yoga class hosted by some ladies going through a teacher training. The first 20 minutes of the class was dancing (more like Zumba than yoga), but the last half of the class was fine- more stretching and recovery based. The instructors themselves did a good job, but it wasn’t the style of yoga I wanted to recover from hard workouts. Thankfully the schedule will be back to normal starting next week for my regular Friday Flow class.

On Saturday I did a long run on the bridge, along with an extra repeat on the steep side to add some mileage. The weather was beautiful and perfect for racing, but all of the races in Charleston seem to be NEXT weekend! It was great to see some friends running the bridge and get a quality long run in. I’m hoping the hills make me a stronger runner in the flat races.

After running, I ran some errands and got a burrito from my favorite food truck, Dashi. I’m dashing for Dashi and will run for shrimp burritos!

IMG_20160403_122256-001.jpg

On Sunday, I ran with the Hampton Park group and hung out afterwards for some stretching. I had a big week, so I tried to hold back with the pace (which is hard at a group run). It was humid but the miles went by pretty quickly chatting with everyone about upcoming races.

I hope we can all finish them injury-free, meeting our goals, and with big smiles.

image

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Come join the fun!

This entry was posted in Charleston Beer Runners, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Weekly Rundown: October 16-22

1. runeatralph says:

I hope the birthday celebration was a good one. That food all looks DELICIOUS.

2. sarahdudek80 says:

That cake looks and sounds incredible. I wish I could decorate something like that. I am far too sloppy!

3. That cake looks delicious. That’s why we run right? So we don’t have to feel guilty splurging every now and then

4. That cake! Wow! Anytime I hear a cake has coffee in it, I’m game haha! Nice job on 50 miles, Amy!

5. What a great week of workouts! And that cake has me drooling 😉 I LOVE CAKE!

6. Elizabeth C. says:

Great week! Glad you had one day of relief from this crazy heat and humidity. I agree that when it gets cooler, the next step down from a tank is short sleeves- I will wear those in 45-55 degrees! And that cake! Yum!

I’ve thought about trying arm sleeves, but never have. I have long-sleeved shirts that I do wear when running (dry fits)- a lot of it depends on the purpose of the run for me. If I’m going to be running easy, I tend to wear a little more clothes.

7. Reading this post makes me want to be a Charleston beer runner…..and I don’t drink!😂 I’m glad you had another solid week of training and you got to have cake too! This weekends weather is looking to be slightly cooler so hopefully that will help out for your upcoming race. Enjoy your taper week. Hopefully we can resume running at the track soon. I’m missing the Wednesday night lights!!

I love CBR, and I rarely drink beer. Only girly drinks for me. The best thing is that most everywhere the group runs to has cocktails or food- it’s bars just like the ones where we go in Summerville with a big variety.

I also miss Wednesday night track workouts but I am really enjoying running at Newington. The shade has been great with the heat the last few weeks, and I think the hills are helping get me in shape, a little differently than a track workout.

8. Wow I didn’t realize that about your birthday last year. That sounds like a nice time during a tough stretch. What a great sized group! It’s still warm here too – the ac is back on! I’m hoping this is finally the week fall comes and sticks around. That yoga class sounds weird, hahahahaha 🙂

Yeah the class was very… different… than what I’m used to. Everyone likes different styles of yoga, but I won’t go back to that style of class. I really prefer the vinyasa class.

9. HoHo Runs says:

I can do without candy and ice cream, but have a weakness for cake (and warm cookies). That one looks delicious! How fun you can celebrate your birthday along with CBR’s 3rd birthday. As always, I’m impressed with your incredible mileage this week! Thanks for linking.

10. That burrito looks amazing. Once again a fabulous mileage week for you.
    So glad it is finally turning to great running weather here, but must confess it really makes me miss it.

11. Ok, also have to comment on that cake… OMG, yum!!!! That looks crazy good! Fill me in – what are you referring to when you say Gamecocks and Tigers on a BYE week? (sorry, I’m clueless on that one!)

12. What the freak! Kona coffee, chocolate and bourbon buttercream, caramel. I just gained 5 wonderfully delicious pounds just reading that! That is a great looking group of people too, yall have huge groups that run!

13. That cake looks amazing. Like, I’m currently planning a wedding and trying to figure out how to get something like that as our wedding cake. Happy Saturday!