Weekly Rundown: October 9-15

Hot summer streets and the pavements are burning as I sit run around
Trying to smile but the air is so heavy and dry humid
Strange voices are saying (AHHH what did they say?)
Things I can’t am too hot to understand
It’s too close for comfort, this heat has got right out of hand. – Ace of Base, Cruel Summer

I survived another week of cruel summer training in record-breaking heat. The calendar may say October, but it feels more like August in Charleston. It’s way too hot for pumpkin spice or Halloween movies, and running feels like a struggle shuffle.

image

It’s supposed to cool down this week, and we will have a day when temperatures are in the 70s. That’s basically like the first snow of the season in other parts of the US, and I expect people to be decked out in hoodies, boots, and scarves.

Monday 5.5 miles + ITBS Rehab Routine
Tuesday 8.4 miles (including 45 min. at mid-tempo pace)
Wednesday 6.4 miles + ITBS Rehab Routine
Thursday 6.2 miles + 60 min. yoga
Friday No workout
Saturday 6.9 miles including Avondale 5K (21:44)
Sunday 11.4 miles
Total 45 miles

On Monday, I ran with the group and all of us agreed that we needed a “sightseeing run”- aka, EASY DAY. Downtown Charleston is on the water, so we had a little breeze and some shade, and that made it  tolerable. I was still recovering from Saturday’s Isle of Palms 10K and Sunday’s long run, and being sick post-run (the worst part of post-run stomach issues is that when all was said and done, I was still well above racing weight). My legs were heavy, but we enjoyed the sights and lack of crowds since tourist season is winding down.

On Tuesday I did a tempo run on the treadmill because it’s way too hot to attempt that outside and because I like trash TV.

Our track has been taken over by middle school football on Wednesday nights, so we’ve started running a slightly hilly neighborhood instead, where we have 4 and 6 mile routes. We had a good crowd this week, and Erin had everyone over post-run for a cookout. Her husband grilled burgers and hot dogs and everyone brought side items and drinks.

image

image

It was great hanging out and refueling after the hot run. You know you’re at a cookout full of runners and triathletes when you foam roll and stretch while the burgers are grilling.

image

image

I did an easy run on Thursday, in the hottest temperatures I could to hopefully regain some heat acclamation, then did a Vin-to-Yin yoga class that night. Soul Yoga of Charleston sent me a coupon for a free yoga class during my birthday week, and it was an nice way to stretch out and de-stress before Saturday’s race.

Friday was a much-needed day off of working out, but I spent the afternoon volunteering at the SheTris Aquathon, a swim and run event for young girls. A good crowd of Summerville Tri Clubbers volunteered. All the girls were great athletes and demonstrated positive sportsmanship, and the whole afternoon was wonderful. Angie’s done a great job organizing women’s events and bringing them to the Lowcountry, especially for preteen girls who need the encouragement and positivity.

Saturday was the Avondale 5K, and for the first time in a long time, I ran a race time I am proud of. The weather was warm but less humid, and that helped big time. I didn’t let negative thoughts creep in, left everything on the course, supported the Charles Webb Center for Special Needs kids, and shared some great memories with Charleston Beer Runners.

We had some new PRs, a couple of age group placements, and we shut down the after party in true CBR style. I’ll write more about the race this week (Thanks Brian from CBR for this great pic!).

image

The week wouldn’t be complete without a long run, so I logged some miles on Sunday morning, then met up with OnShore Recreation for the last 8 miles. We had record-breaking high temperatures on Sunday, so I was scared that Church of the Sunday Long Run would be a “Fire and Brimstone service”. Thankfully, it wasn’t as bad as last Sunday, and you can’t beat a long run in downtown Charleston.

After the run, I came home to a Sunday of brunch, farmer’s markets, and football with Clay- good times. I hope everyone has a great week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link.

This entry was posted in Charleston Beer Runners, Summerville, Summerville Running, Training Log, West Ashley and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Weekly Rundown: October 9-15

1. Sorry you are still fighting summer heat/humidity in October. Hopefully it cools off soon.

2. Christine says:

I wish we had a Soul studio over in North MP. I love the sounds of their classes, but it’s just way too far for me to drive. N MP needs some fitness studios!

Ugh, this weather. I am so over it. But this week is looking like it may actually be tolerable! Yay!

Good job getting it done last week, even with the ridiculous weather.

I feel like North Mt. Pleasant- and Mt. Pleasant in general- has a ton of gyms and fitness studios. We do not have a gym (or fitness studio, although I don’t really go to those) in the 29414 ZIP code. Ironically, we had one here when I moved here but it has since turned into a police station which is kinda weird…

I drive 20 minutes to Soul but it’s worth it. I drive at least 20 minutes everywhere except Publix or Walmart.

I try not to let the weather stop me but I can’t bear to do tempo runs in this… not to mention, it’s hard to do that with the construction so I just treadmill em.

3. trexrunner says:

So glad you finally had a good race! The weather has been way too hot and humid here in Greenville, so I can only imagine how bad it is in Charleston. I hope it cools off for you soon!

Supposed to cool off tomorrow, thankfully! Will be warming back up into the 80s next weekend. Honestly temperatures in the 80s aren’t that bad as long as we don’t have humidity… but this is Charleston so we *always* have humidity!

4. It has been really hot here as well for being the middle of October. I think this week it is suppose to be a little cooler. How funny that you guys were foam rolling while waiting on food to be done. I have been wanting to get one of those R8 Rollers.

One of the girls went out and bought the R8 roller after using Erin’s at the cookout! I feel like Erin should get sort of referral bonus for “selling” people on recovery tools and products while everyone was waiting on the brugers…

5. Trash TV is what makes treadmill running easier for me! And the trashier the better, LOL! Great week of training though – can’t believe you guys are still struggling with that heat! Hopefully it cools off soon!

6. runeatralph says:

I prefer the Bananarama version of Cruel Summer, mainly because I just want to say Bananarama.

7. Looks like a great week of training, in spite of the temperatures! I hope they cool down soon for you guys 🙂 and of course, congrats on your 5km!!

Thanks! It really cooled down here. It’s 60 degrees outside now, so I’m expecting to see running tights, hoodies, and gloves any time now (I won’t be wearing those things).

8. Laura says:

The up and down and unseasonably warm weather is definitely impacting the standard fall runs! Nice week of running and training despite the temps!

Also- mad props for Ace of Base lyrics. brings back so many memories with my sister when we were younger!

Ha- I don’t think we have standard Fall runs here, but I do know that usually we have some cool days before mid-October. It is cooler today, thankfully. I’m excited to get out for some miles this afternoon!

9. Bento Momentos says:

I love how you incorporate healthy active activities in your daily life. Free yoga class as leisure? Volunteering at a girls’ swim and run event? That’s awesome. Happy Tuesday!

10. Elizabeth C. says:

Thank goodness this was the last week of the crazy humid summer weather. I’m glad you that you still managed a nice week of running and a race you are proud of! My theory now on running in the heat day after day is that it doesn’t just make the individual runs harder, but the collective training fatigue. I think you will be delightfully surprised at how better everything feels once it stops being so hot and humid.

11. Can’t think of anything better than a post-run BBQ! (By the way, that picture makes me want to grill up a burger and hot dog right now.) Great job battling the heat and getting your miles in.

It was a great cookout! All of us run together but we’re all running at group run, so this gave everyone a chance to get to hang out more. Plus everyone could bring their favorite foods and share them :).

12. thisrunnersrecipes says:

So glad to hear you had a good race – congrats! We have had humidity lingering here, which is pretty normal for those weeks before rainy season starts in full – but I know it’s not as bad as yours, especially since it’s been cold here!

Even when it’s “cold” here, it’s still humid (it doesn’t really get cold here). One year at the Charleston Half in January, it was 52 degrees but the humidity was still 94%. The afternoons are hotter but mornings are more humid.

Most of the time I’d rather have rain!

Race recap will be up tomorrow. Just haven’t felt like writing much.

13. HoHo Runs says:

The post training run cookout sounds wonderful! Our weather finally did recently break, after record breaking heat last week as well. Congrats on your 5k race! Thanks for linking.

Yeah, we had one cool day here, Tuesday. But our Fall only lasted about 36 hours as Wednesday was warm again. Ugh.

I get it that Charleston never gets cold enough to run in pants, but I really want to at least break out something heavier than a tank top.