Weekly Rundown: October 2-8

October is here- even if it doesn’t feel like it. This weekend felt like a sauna in Charleston, and it’s hard to believe Halloween is just around the corner, tempting us with candy. I’m personally fond of peanut butter M&Ms…

image

The weather impacted my running and racing plans this weekend big time. I ran the Isle of Palms Connector Run 10K and was several minutes off my goal. I try not to worry about weather too much because everyone runs in the same conditions and on the same course, and everyone’s times were slower than usual and what we would be capable of on a nice day.

Hopefully this heat wave ends soon and it starts to feel more like Fall!

Monday 7 miles + ITBS Rehab Routine
Tuesday 8.1 miles (treadmill “mile repeats”)
Wednesday 7.4 miles + Sports Massage
Thursday 4.5 miles + ITBS Rehab Routine
Friday 60 min. yoga
Saturday 8.5 miles including Isle of Palms Connector Run 10K (47:54)
Sunday 10.1 miles
Total 45.7 miles

The week started pretty good, with a group run with friends on Monday, some treadmill intervals on Tuesday, and a sports massage on Wednesday. Besides that, the HVAC people installed our new upstairs AC unit on Wednesday, which I was grateful for because the heat came back big time.

Not that it ever “cooled off” in Charleston- it was just… less hot.

image_thumb.png

Since I wasn’t sure what time the HVAC people would be done, I didn’t plan a group run on Wednesday and most of us decided to do the Fleet Feet Summerville Pub Run instead. Melissa and I met up to run a few miles at Sawmill Branch before heading to Zest Grill for the pub run. Somehow, we got lost on the pub run and ended up running four miles instead of three, but thankfully we figured out how to get back before it got too dark.

As you can see, we had a big crowd for the Pub Run! The middle school football teams are using track, and I miss those workouts, but fun runs are nice sometimes too.

image

Thursday and Friday were easy days with a short run and yoga, and on Saturday, I headed to the Isle of Palms for the 10K. As soon as I stepped out of my home at 6:30, I knew it would be a rough day. It felt like a sauna, and the temperature was already in the upper 70s. At race time, it was 78 degrees, 100% humidity, dew point of 75, and sunny. It felt more like August than October.

I’m not proud of my finish time, but I am proud that I went to the run, stayed with the 10K instead of dropping to the 5K, and didn’t throw up off the side of the connector. I’ll write more about the race later this week.

image

Unfortunately, I didn’t have a great recovery from the race. I woke up sick in the wee hours of the morning on Sunday. I spent some time in the bathroom, got a little more sleep, then headed out for a long run with the group. If the bar had been open at our start time of 9 AM, we would have probably all headed there instead. Many of us stayed together, running and taking frequent water breaks and walking when we needed to.

My long run started out okay, but I felt sick near the end and was wishing for a gel, electrolytes, or something. I did eat a post-run gel, then we headed to Moe’s Crosstown Tavern for brunch. I had a delicious salad, quiche, and cheese grits… and managed to eat the salad and some of the hot food. I spent the afternoon resting and drinking Nuun.

image

As for next week, I plan to recover from my 10K, get a few runs and a workout in, and hope the weather cools down soon. Running in August weather is hard enough in August, let alone October. I hope everyone has a great week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link and with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC.

This entry was posted in Fleet Feet Pub Run, Fleet Feet Summerville, IOP/Sullivan's, Summerville Running, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Weekly Rundown: October 2-8

1. HoHo Runs says:

My last two runs were the most humid ones all year thanks to TS Nate. I’m over it. Great job in sticking with the 10k distance at the race in that nasty muck. And, I’m proud of your finish time — even it you aren’t. 😉 Thanks for linking!

Thanks- yeah, one of the guys at group run and I were talking about the storm. Even though SC didn’t get any rain or winds from it, supposedly the east side of tropical storms gets this crazy sub-tropical humidity and that’s why it has been so rough here the last few days? The last few tropical storms and hurricanes have been so close that we’ve gotten cooler weather from them instead.

2. Elizabeth C. says:

Great week of training and it’s good to see that you were able to get a sports massage. And thank goodness you finally have a working AC. It was miserable this past weekend. Waking up sick does not sound fun and those hot races often take more out of us than we’d expect. Recover well, and keep your fingers crossed that fall will make an appearance!

3. Still a solid week of training! I’m sorry your birthday weekend didn’t go as well as you wanted it to. I’m proud of you for hanging in there on that 10k! I was supposed to run back through to get in a 6 mile tempo but omg the humidity was crazy and I felt beat down from just the 5k. I can just imagine how awful a 10k would feel 😬🤢! I do hope you got some rest and feel a bit recouperated ftom thecweekend. Glad your AC is fixed too! Here’s to a great week ahead- and I know you will have a much better race this weekend. I just hope this weather changes to fall asap. Mother Nature is having serious mood swings!!😡

It’s okay about my birthday weekend. It went better than last year’s because I had electricity, and even though I got sick after the race, at least I was sick in my own home (the last time I got sick after a race was after the marathon, and I was sick in my mother in law’s home).

I did a short recovery run yesterday and felt okay, then a treadmill tempo today. My stupid butt held out for the weekend and is hurting again, so I’ll be seeing the chiro to get adjusted before this weekend!

See ya tomorrow night for run and cookout!

4. Wait, did you and Melissa have drinks before the run, lol. Kidding . Yall always seem to have great turnouts for runs like this. It shows what a strong running community you live in. I’m with you, I’m getting tired of all this summerlike weather, it is fall after all. Mother N needs to get on board with it! Great job on your 10k 75 dewpoints? Gahhh

5. Still a great week of training, definitely getting those miles in! I hope it cools off a bit for you soon, I’ve never run anywhere that humid but I can imagine its an absolute killer… Hope recovery is going well as well 🙂

I’d like to say that you get used to running in the humidity and with high dew points- and you do get used to it in the sense that you CAN run in it- but your paces are never what they would be in ideal temperatures.

Recovery has been going pretty well! I have done a workout since and have another race on Saturday :).

6. Yay for a new AC unit!! Sorry you didn’t have a great recovery from your race. It looks like a solid week of training, though, with all of those miles! Your brunch looks AMAZING!

7. Laura says:

YES to peanut butter M&M’s!

Nice week of running and training, sorry the race didn’t go as planned and that you weren’t feeling well after. Always tough when you had icky recovery to a race that didn’t feel good to begin with. Insult to injury I feel like.

Kudos on keeping up with the ITBS rehab routine!

Thanks! I don’t have ITBS, but I feel like those exercises are great for ALL runners. It’s a lot of banded and body weight exercises like clamshells, leg lifts, squats, bridges, etc. Good way to work out some of the little muscles that we need to stay uninjured.