Weekly Rundown: September 25 – October 1

What’s worse than running in record heat in September?

When your air conditioner goes out during the September heat wave.

On Thursday, I came home after running 8 miles at the gym and made a beeline to the shower. I was hot- typical after an 8 mile run. I showered and was still sweating- not out of the norm when it’s 95 outside.

image

When I was still sweating an hour after my shower, something was up. I checked the thermostat, called the HVAC company, and two hours later, found out our upstairs AC unit needed to be replaced. Our bedrooms are all upstairs, so Thursday night was rough sleeping on the couch in the living room.

Thankfully, we got some estimates on new ACs on Friday, and we got a replacement part to give us upstairs AC until the new unit comes in and is installed on Wednesday. It’s a major money suck so I’m thankful we have savings and emergency funds for this kind of thing. PSA to anyone looking to buy a home: Maintenance is expensive and it sucks your money and life away.

Monday 7.1 miles + ITBS Rehab Routine
Tuesday 8 miles, including 40 min. at mid-tempo pace (treadmill)
Wednesday 6 miles + ITBS Rehab Routine
Thursday 8 miles, including 4 min. hard, 1 min. easy intervals (treadmill)
Friday 60 min. yoga
Saturday 13.1 miles
Sunday 8 miles
Total 50.2 miles

I didn’t mean to run 50 miles this week- It just happened. Both of my “speed workouts” were treadmilled, which contributes to the higher number. I hate treadmilling BOTH workouts, but without track access, living in a construction zone and hot weather, you have to do what you have to do. A friend invited me to work out at a track with them, but it was Friday morning at 6 AM which wasn’t happening even if I had AC the night before…

image

Since I have some non-flat races in October and November, I’m trying to incorporate hilly runs. I ran the bridge on Monday and again on Saturday during my long run. On Wednesday, the group got together to run Newington Plantation, Erin’s neighborhood. The hills are only hills if you live in Summerville, but at least it’s not completely flat.

We had a nice crowd and everyone ran 4-8 miles, some with workouts and some as easy or recovery runs. Some kids had a lemonade/sweet tea stand and bake sale in the neighborhood and were cheering for us. They offered us snacks (told us we could have them for free), but none of us took anything. The cheers and clapping sure were sweet, though.

image

Besides running, I did some ITBS/PT rehab banded strength exercises and yoga. I went to a Vinyasa class at Soul Yoga and liked it a lot, especially since I did BodyFlow the last two weeks.

My long run on Saturday was my longest run post injury. I ran 13.1 miles to prove to myself that I could run a half marathon before I officially register for one. It wasn’t my fastest and I got stomach cramps during the run, but I did it.

I missed having coffee and breakfast and hanging out with Cindy post-run. Saturday morning bridge/long runs were tough enough even when she was here and we did that, but now it’s even harder. I still haven’t been back to our coffee shop, and I want a pumpkin spice latte (and to support our friend’s small business), but I’m a bit scared to go in because I know it won’t be the same without Cindy.

Sunday’s run brought OCTOBER and temperatures that felt like Fall! It was in the 60s during my run and felt amazing. I ran 8 with the group and ran with Brent, Melissa, and Allison. We had a great run around downtown and slight negative split but kept the pace conversational.

After the run, I skipped brunch to buy groceries, and Clay and I went out for lunch later on. He grilled Sunday evening, so we had vegetables from Aldi and grilled meats and seafood.

I hope everyone has a great week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link and with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC.

This entry was posted in Summerville, Summerville Running, Training Log and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Weekly Rundown: September 25 – October 1

1. Pam says:

Amy it has to be so sad for you with all the memories of your friend Cindy. Over time, I hope you will be able to remember all the fun you had together and not about her sudden and unexpected passing. Your running seems to be going well and all the extras like Yoga and strength really help. I learned a lot this past training cycle and the extra time I spent stretching each and every day were definitely worth it on race day. Too bad about your AC and yes, homes can be a real money suck

2. trexrunner says:

Ugh, buying a new AC unit is the worst! I’m so sorry you had to deal with that, especially during a heat wave. I hope the fall temps are here to stay!

It really is. We spent all Friday at home with people coming by to give us estimates and picking out a new unit. Of course it cooled off this weekend, but looks like it might be warm again this week. No 90 degree temperatures, but even when the temps are in the 80s you need the AC, especially to sleep.

3. Ah I’m so sorry about your AC – that sounds miserable!! Great week of workouts 🙂 hope you have a great Monday!

4. Christine says:

Sunday’s weather was awesome! I want every day to be like that. Sorry you’re AC went out, especially on those hot days. Yuck.

• Christine says:

your* your* ….goes to get more coffee

Sunday was really nice! I bet if it were a race day, I would’ve flown. Of course, I was recovering from the 13 and took it easy. I’m hoping the weather will stay cooler, or at least no more 90+ degree temps. It looks like we’ll be back in the 80s this week, but maybe if the humidity is lower, it won’t be so bad.

The worst thing is that new ACs are expensive!

5. wanderwolf says:

Good to know about home maintenance. Owning any living space can be rough… my bro and I have to take care of the heater soon. AC issues in the south during summer/early fall are awful. Glad you have a solution (and balance the cost with buying food at Aldi 😉
    Nice week.

Aldi is the best- I always go by when I’m in that neck of the woods (usually after long runs). You can’t beat the produce prices because you can get BAGS of fresh food for like $20. I find the quality is really good too.

I am thankful our home has two AC units, so at least the downstairs was bearable. I don’t know what we would have done if we had a smaller home with only one AC… probably would have had to get a hotel room or sleep at a friends.

• wanderwolf says:

Yeah. You have fans too though, right?
        I like Aldi, but find the quality of their fresh produce varies, so I’m always careful with that. Everything else I always get there first and head to other stores to find what I can’t find at Aldi. 😀

We have tons of fans! Is there any other way to sleep than with multiple fans on anyway?

So, the night the AC was out, Clay put every single box/stand up fan in the bedroom to sleep- five fans too. It was SO LOUD in there and I couldn’t sleep because the fans were roaring. They were blowing things around, too. I ended up going downstairs to the couch (and could still hear those fans, but not as loud).

I haven’t had any issues with the produce at Aldi yet, but we usually use it within a day or so of buying it, too.

6. I think I would have had to stop for the lemonade and bake sale stand in the neighborhood! I remember doing this as a kid I don’t think anyone but my mom bought my lemonade but she always tipped really well so I was good.
    You tickle me doing a half to prove to yourself you could do it! I can’t say I haven’t thought of doing the same thing!
    I know this is not near the same thing but my car ac went out back in the spring. My car needed replacing and I kept telling myself I’ll make it through summer and start looking in the Fall, after all I sweat all the time I got this! Well…. when you get to work looking like you ran the entire way it was time to do something. I did make it to the end of July before I got my new car and the AC works wonderfully!

A few years ago, my car AC went out. I was really anemic at the time, and it was May. I was so sick with anemia that I did not run the AC to even know it was out. I was just that cold natured and SICK!

Granted, now I mostly use my car to get to and from runs but I would hate to drive more than a few minutes with no AC in the car. Some days, even the wait for the AC to cool down is tough!

7. Nice runs – and lots of miles! So cute about the kids cheering you on and offering snacks. Last week I was trying to cool down from a hot run, and was still sweating profusely after my morning shower. Putting makeup on was a struggle with the sweat… and then I heard it. It sounded like the heater. Sure enough when I went downstairs, I mentioned it to my husband and he said “oh yeah, I turned on the furnace. I was cold.”. Ughhhhhh!
    We had a furnace die right before we were headed out for a ski trip for a week last year. Seems like it’s never good timing on that stuff. Hope you get it all fixed up soon!

I felt bad not going back and buying snacks and giving the kids some money, but I had to go to the bathroom really badly after the run so I left to make it to the gas station. They were sweet kids and I have a soft spot for kids (they offered us free tea and snacks, but we had to run back to our cars so that might not have been a good idea).

I would hate for a furnace to die if I lived in a cold area! I guess you can always put on more clothes, but who wants to walk around in their home looking like Ralphie’s brother from A Christmas Story?

8. HoHo Runs says:

I feel you on the upstairs/downstairs AC. Our downstairs went out this year. I know you must miss your sweet friend Cindy, but perhaps you will be able to have a Pumpkin Spice Latte in her honor soon. Congrats on your longest run post injury. Have you decided to which half marathon you’d like to run? Thanks for linking.

9. Hollie says:

I’ve had that happen a couple of times on both spectrums (heater stopped working but I needed to get a hotel…upstate NY…-30 at night no thanks). As well as the AC and it’s not pleasant. Nice job though. We love Aldi vegetables and steak. I seriously cannot believe how good they are and between that and Amazon fresh, we save so much.

Heaters and ACs not working never happens in good weather. Guess it was time for ours to break since it’s the end of summer and it’s run constantly for months. I can’t even imagine -30, I would go to a hotel too. I mean… it doesn’t even get as low as 30 here.

10. YES to home maintenance being expensive! There are so many little (and big) things you don’t think about until they break or need to be replaced. I feel ya!

11. Elizabeth C. says:

Sorry about the AC. That sucks! We had to replace ours last summer. So expensive. Anyway, it’s good you finally got a taste of the fall weather for your long run. Congrats on the 13.1 — of course you can do it! Also good job on the 50 miles. You are going to be in excellent shape for your races.

Yeah, we had a nice day or so of Fall. The fair comes to town on Oct. 26 so the heat will probably end then, that’s usually how it goes in Charleston. Gonna be sunny and HOT for Saturday’s race, unfortunately. You think I’d be used to it by now…

12. I’ve been waiting so long for the cool weather to arrive and was glad to see a glimpse of it last weekend (the first race on our fall calendar). With any luck, you won’t really have to use your new AC until next summer! –Todd

Thanks for reading and responding- I’m glad you had good weather for your race (checking out your blog now).

I wish we didn’t have to use our new AC, but this is South Carolina so that’s not happening! It is in the mid-80s today and our AC is running.