Weekly Rundown: September 18-24

According to the calendar, Fall is here. To me, it’s still way too hot for pumpkin spice lattes, Uggs, leggings, and the latest iPhone.

By the time Charleston weather cools down enough for me to crave hot coffee, the pumpkin spice latte will be gone from Starbucks and replaced with gingerbread and mint drinks for winter.

image

This week, I ran lots of quality miles, some easy days, and the Carolina Children’s Charity 5K. Running had its ups and downs like everything else, except South Carolina temperatures, which always seem to be up. Based on what I’ve read on other blogs and friends’ race recaps from this weekend, summer has overstayed its welcome just about everywhere.

Monday 7.7 miles (2 x 2 miles @ mid tempo pace) + ITBS Rehab Routine
Tuesday 5.9 miles
Wednesday 8 miles (2 x 1200m, 4 x 800m) + ITBS Rehab Routine
Thursday 5.1 miles
Friday ITBS Rehab Routine
Saturday 6.3 including Carolina Children’s Charity 5K (24:04)
Sunday 12 miles + 60 min. BodyFlow
Total 45.1 miles

On Monday, I did a tempo workout on the treadmill because I had a busy day of work. The last few weeks at work have been busy but hello, job security. I also did some PT/strength exercises.

Tuesday’s run included the Charleston Running Club’s monthly traveling group run. This month, we ran the West Ashley Greenway for three miles. The runs rotate between different areas of town, so the club doesn’t expect people to make every single one, but it’s a nice change of scenery when I can make it out.

21685915_1513140895409141_3479804162144967365_n

After the run, we had dinner at Triangle Char-N-Bar. It’s one of my favorite restaurants, and they have a great Taco Tuesday deal and happy hour ($3 tacos and $3 margaritas). Triangle took great care of us with our own private area.

image

On Wednesday, I did PT/strength that morning and went to the track that evening. Unfortunately, the middle school football games are at 6:30 PM now, and we have to find a new place to run on Wednesday nights until the season ends. The people at the gate gave me an extremely hard time and basically told me I was a liar when I asked about the time change. I ended up going to Planet Fitness and treadmilling my workout. I’ll move the group runs to a neighborhood for the next four weeks, but also find somewhere else to run my own speed workouts.

On Saturday, I ran the Carolina Children’s Charity 5K Partial Trail Run (this seems like a very long name for a short race). The course was tough, and there was nothing “partial” about the 5K. My guess is it was called that because part of the course was also paved bike path. I went in with the goal to finish smiling and injury-free, and I succeeded at both. I’ll write more about it later this week.

Sunday’s long run with OnShore Recreation was a good one. I ran a few miles before and after the run to log 12 miles total. We had a big crowd and recovery beverages afterwards. I love my “Church of the Sunday Long Run” crew and logging miles with them each week.

image

I skipped brunch after to buy groceries, then Clay and I went to Waffle House because I wanted one last Blueberry Waffle before they go away at the end of the month. Clay went to Charlotte Friday and got home Sunday morning.

You know you’re a no-frills couple when you can spend quality time together eating in a diner rather than fancy meals or dates all the time.

image

I hope everyone has a wonderful week, and if you’re somewhere with cooler temperatures, enjoy a pumpkin spice latte for me.

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link and with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC.

This entry was posted in OnShore Recreation, Trail running, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Weekly Rundown: September 18-24

1. Happy Fall, Amy! I love the meme at the beginning of this post. Cracked me up! It’s going to be 89 here in Pittsburgh today, so summer is still trying to hang on here as well! I’m soaking it up, though, because I know what’s coming in a few months, haha.

I love that you and Clay can enjoy a lovely time together at Waffle House! So sweet 🙂

It’s definitely a cheap date. A waffle and an omelet is still less than $20 even after tip!

I don’t blame you to soak up summer because it gets really cold where you live in PA. It doesn’t get cold here at all really, minus a few days (this is a really good place to live for people who hate winter…)

2. OMG that waffle has got me drooling over here at my desk 🙂 and I totally agree about it not feeling like fall! It’s 80 here in Boston!

It was a good waffle. I’ve read where Waffle House will only have them through the end of the month, so I figured I better eat another one while I could. Waffles really hit the spot after a long run, too.

3. Laura says:

Nice week of miles Amy! Yeah it’s still super warm here (though I know the humidity and heat down there is totally different story!) It’s supposed to be around 90 here for the next few days and was that way all weekend! I’m begging mother nature for some fall stuff!

It’s so awesome you are able to race with friends, get group runs in and your solo workouts too- it’s nice to see a little bit of everything!

The heat there is insane, too. It feels like June here, and my guess is that it feels close to that up north as well. The weather is the reason why SC doesn’t have half and full marathons in June. I can’t imagine how it would feel to run a marathon in summer-like temperatures anywhere. I have a friend running Wineglass, she just moved up there, and I really hope it will cool down for her because it is her first marathon.

4. Oh it’s still hot here too. Making a pregnant runner very miserable ha! Those are some nice miles there lady!! Solid training. I miss my longer mileage days…soon enough. My hubby and I have more than once enjoyed Waffle House for a date out. 😉 I love me some waffles!!!!

Thanks! You will get back after the baby, it is super hot out right now and sometimes can be difficult or dangerous for anyone, not just a pregnant lady.

I love the food and simplicity at Waffle House. It’s not a fancy or “foodie” place (and sometimes I like nice meals out too) but it’s a nice microcosm of America…

• Exactly! And our WH employees are so cool. Makes it a fun experience. And waffles …. 😉

The ones here are pretty cool too. Clay’s mom used to work at a diner like that years and years ago, so we have so much respect for them and always tip big. They deal with a lot of crazy especially on 3rd shirt and Fri/Sat nights with the drunks!

5. What a great week! Your running crews all sound so cool – I’ve only just started running with a group (yesterday was my first day!) and I’ve always been a bit intimidated by the prospect… but I was so surprised with how fun it was! Hope it cools down soon so you can enjoy some fall treats 🙂

6. Elizabeth C. says:

Love the theme of this post! Summer certainly has overstayed its welcome, and I can’t believe it has done so for almost three straight weeks. Anyway, that is frustrating about the middle school football games. But thankfully it’s only for a few more weeks. I love that you go to the Waffle house so much. Whenever you post pictures of the food, it looks so delicious!

It is. Waffle House isn’t gourmet, but sometimes you just want some greasy breakfast food. With some of the healthy creations I see people blogging about, I like to keep it real :).

7. Christine says:

Yep. No fall here. I ran today in a 96 degree heat index. Sigh. Yum. Waffles. Sometimes diner food is just the best!

8. I did see some seasonal peppermint iced coffee (International Delights) at the grocery store this week. Enough already!! I think that’s funny about the “partial trail” name. Not sure if they didn’t want to disappoint the trail runners, or scare people away who were afraid of trails. Love it!
    You had a very social running week. Sounds great!

I get it that not ALL of the course was trail, but the parts that were made up for the paved parts (the paved parts were single track with two way traffic too). I think they wanted to warn everyone that the course wasn’t the paved and mostly flat one from previous years.

9. HoHo Runs says:

Ha! I’m a member of that church. I must admit, I love Starbucks’ Gingerbread Latte. I wish it were already available. What an odd an lengthy name for a 5k. I’m sure you did well! Thanks for linking.