Weekly Rundown: September 4-10

This was a whirlwind week- literally.

With Hurricane Irma threatening the South Carolina coast, everyone was nervous this week. Clay and I spent time thinking about evacuations, taking pictures of valuables, and tracking and planning for a major hurricane. We live inland, but Irma’s impact would be huge. We said we’d make a call on evacuating closer to the projected landfall- which on Tuesday and Wednesday was headed straight for Charleston.

The forecast shifted on Friday, and we stayed in town. However, my thoughts are with those in the Caribbean and Florida who are affected by Irma- it’s a strong and powerful storm.

Friday morning, I woke up to texts and Facebook messages. At first, I thought it was hurricane related- maybe the storm turned again and was headed toward Charleston? It hadn’t, but the news wasn’t good- Our very close friend Cindy was killed in a car accident involving an 18-wheeler. Cindy (pictured in the red) was going to visit her mom in the hospital, where her mom was recovering from surgery. The accident happened near Columbia.

IMG_20151219_111320_thumb.jpg

Cindy was one of the most generous people I’ve ever met, and we shared so many good times at races, brunch, coffee, and Charleston Riverdogs games. The news didn’t hit me right away, but I was very upset and it’s still hard to believe. Clay was working from home, so thankfully he was there with me for lots of hugs and dealing with my tears.

I’ll write more about Cindy this week. I’m still trying to process it, but as a writer (by hobby and by profession), it helps to put feelings into words.

Monday 6.1 miles
Tuesday 6.2 miles
Wednesday 30 min. yoga + 6.2 miles track
Thursday No workout
Friday 7.75 miles, including 25 min. tempo
Saturday 11.1 miles
Sunday 8.1 miles
Total 45.6 miles

On Monday, I volunteered at the Labor Day 5K on Daniel Island. I helped with packet pick up and enjoyed cheering on my friends who ran. The temperatures were a little better, but it was still very warm in the sun. I was glad to be helping and not racing.

image

I was registered for the 911 Heroes Run 5K that Saturday, so I ran a few easy miles around Daniel Island and loved seeing the patriotic decorations for that 5K. The light poles had signs with the names of different first responders on them, as well as American flags. Today is the anniversary of 9-11, and I hope you’re thinking of those lives lost that day. I certainly did on the run.

On Wednesday, I did a track workout with the crew. The temperatures were in the 80s, but the humidity and high dew points were still around. I ran 5 x 1000m repeats and met my pace goals. A few weeks ago, I figured out how to use the lap buttons on my Garmin, which is basically a huge running breakthrough for me. The past few months have been riddled with injuries and bad races, but at least my splits now upload correctly.

Since everyone was preparing for Hurricane Irma, we had a smaller crowd and didn’t go out anywhere after the run.

image

Thursday morning, the governor talked about potentially reversing all the lanes of I-26 out of Charleston and ordering evacuations. For this reason, the 911 Heroes Run was postponed. I hope the race will be rescheduled, but the organizers have to work with Daniel Island and the first responders to set a new date. As you can imagine, the first responders and the city have been busy lately with hurricane preparations, so we don’t have a date yet.

I was looking forward to the race but support and agree with the decision. At the time, the National Guard was activated, and it would be crazy to use manpower and resources to shut down streets for a race when they might be needed for evacuations and hurricane relief. I saw some complaints on Facebook but feel like most people understood.

On Thursday night, I hung out with Charleston Beer Runners at Triangle Char-N-Bar and talked about football, food and beverages, upcoming runs, and life. The hurricane was weakening, and even though the race was postponed, life was good (Thanks Charleston Beer Runners for the pic).

image

Needless to say, Friday and Saturday were tough. I carried on, but Saturday’s long run on the bridge was especially hard. It was weird not seeing Cindy running the bridge and us going out to Cooper River Coffee Roasters after the run. I ran into a friend at the top of the bridge. She was taking a break from doing repeats, and we spent 10 minutes at the top of the Cooper River Bridge hugging and sharing memories and thoughts of Cindy.

Sometimes running is about mile splits and bridge repeats. Sometimes it’s about hugs, memories, and having a shoulder to cry on at the top of a bridge.

Sunday, I ran an easy 8 miles around Downtown Charleston with Melissa C. Most churches were cancelled (not Church of the Sunday Long Run!), the colleges were evacuated, and no tourists were in town- so downtown was basically deserted of cars. We saw a lot of people out walking, running, biking, and walking their dogs, as well as a lot of police. The run was a little windy, but fun, and I’m glad we got the run in and that I could see and chat with the OnShore Recreation-ers. I skipped brunch to come home and eat leftovers and rest.

I hope everyone has a good week and enjoys some cooler Fall weather!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link and with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC.

This entry was posted in Charleston Beer Runners, Daniel Island Happy Hour 5K, Race Volunteering, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Weekly Rundown: September 4-10

1. trexrunner says:

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. That is a terrible tragedy. Hugs to you and your running family!

Thanks Danielle. I remember you mentioned how much of a community the Charleston runners were in your article, and I’m seeing that play out before my eyes even more now.

2. sarahdudek80 says:

I am so sorry to hear about your friend Cindy. What a difficult loss. How wonderful that you are surrounded by such wonderful friends to be with during these times. I will be thinking of you all. Glad to hear that you guys are okay and out of the path of the storm. I hope this week brings you sunny weather and happiness!

3. Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend! Glad that you were out of the path from the storm. Hopefully this week will go better than last week.

4. HoHo Runs says:

Wow! Your mileage is always very impressive. What a tragic story about your friend. I’m very sorry and know she will be dearly missed. I hope your weather isn’t too bad. We were expecting much worse but ended up on the “good” side of her track.

5. Jennifer @ Dashing in Style says:

I’ve been thinking of everyone affected by the storm. How tragic that your friend died in the midst of worrying about that. So sorry.

Thank you. The worst part about Cindy’s death is that so many people evacuated that no one has really been able to get together and comfort each other. Even her significant other was evacuating when this happened. I think the funeral will be in another state and am not sure what will happen around here.

6. Awe, Amy. I’m so sorry to hear this news, my friend. Thinking of you, and sending you lots of love. I hope you all find comfort and stay safe through all of this turmoil. XO

Thank you. Cindy’s death is a big loss for our community. She volunteered with so many organizations- Race the Landing, the animal shelters, along with various homeless assistance groups in town. She used her life to serve others, especially the animals who do not have a voice.

7. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

I’m so sorry to hear about your friend – so sad. And hopefully you guys are safe from Irma, I did hear that Charleston was impacted. Great job with your runs as always!

We are safe- Downtown Charleston got hit hard with the biggest storm surge since Hurricane Hugo (1989). But, the cleanup has already started. We live pretty far from downtown so no real issues here besides a lot of debris in the yard. BUT I appreciate the thoughts!

8. So sorry to hear about your friend. Losing a dear friend like that is so very hard. My thoughts are with you and her friends & family. Glad you were relatively out of harms way with Irma. So much clean up to be done!

Definitely a lot of cleanup here. I had several friends lose vehicles, one who had a tree fall on his work truck. I also know of a few homes that had tree fall onto them, and lots of flooding. Thankfully all PEOPLE are safe, though.

9. I am so sorry about your friend Cindy.
    She always gave me my number at the RtL series last year and she seemed so nice every time.
    How horrible.

So many people knew her from Race the Landing. Since she passed away, I have seen people comment on pictures on FB, saying they didn’t know her name but remembered her face from giving them a bib number or cheering for them on a run. She impacted so many lives here in Charleston, especially the running community and for the animals and the homeless.

10. I’m glad you’re safe… Irma was really big, and I have been concerned about people down south. I would rather have blizzards and ice storms! Hopefully that’s the last hurricane for a long time for you.

We should be getting rain up here from Irma in couple of days. I haven’t read how much yet!

I’m sorry, again, to hear about Cindy! I hope that her mom stays strong during her recovery and is comforted during this time. 😦

It was definitely weird seeing evacuated areas on the news this week. They were like ghost town. Well, like I said, I’m glad that you and Clay are safe.

Irma is a crazy storm. One of Clay’s coworkers went to Ohio to visit family and ride it out there, and they are supposed to get weather from it.

I feel like Florida definitely got the worst of it, and while we had our share of flooding downtown, I don’t think we had any casualties here, thankfully. I won’t venture downtown for a few days though (the mayor has actually told people who live outside of downtown to give the area 24 hours to get the water pumped out and up and running before going down there).

• My brother and sister-in-law live in FL (I haven’t seen them for 6 years, besides Facebook), and from what my parents say, they’re out of power down there still, and I heard they had their warning lifted. I’m so thankful they live farther inland.
        Yeah, we usually get rain from hurricanes.
        I hope they get the downtown water pumping soon and things can back to normal!

11. That is terrible about your friend. I am sorry about your loss.

12. I am so sorry to read about Cindy. Terrible. Sending prayers to her family and friends.

13. Again, I am so sorry about Cindy. I can’t imagine how you’re feeling, Amy.

I’m so glad you and Clay were safe from the hurricane ❤

Thanks Allie- yeah, the hurricane really spared us. Several families in the area were not as lucky, with trees falling on homes or flooded vehicles, but thankfully no one died due to the storm and I don’t think anyone was hurt. The flooding downtown was rough, though, and it makes me wonder what will happen when we get a direct hit.

14. Elizabeth C. says:

Sorry I am so late to chime in. What a horrible tragedy about Cindy. And then having to deal with the potential hurricane on top of that. It’s amazing you were able to get so many runs in. Sending you hugs.

Thanks- yeah, the tropical storm weather came Monday, so I did miss two days of running this week (which I was OK with, I am not risking my life to run in a tropical storm and my body needed the rest day anyway).