Weekly Rundown: August 7-13

Happy Monday everyone! We’re one week from school starting for the kids, two weeks from Race for the Ark 5K, and three weeks from college football. No one knows how far we are from cooler temperatures, but with June, July, and half of August behind us, we have endured more hot weather than we have left.

13876579_1080410411994411_2037705618937105999_n_thumb.jpg

As far as training goes, it was a lonely week with a bunch of solo runs. I had a lot going on this week, so I had to squeeze some morning runs in and trade my track workout in for treadmill intervals. I run to socialize so it was running alone so much, but it was worth it to get the training in so I could hang out around town.

Monday 30 min strength + 7 miles (bridge)
Tuesday 8 miles
Wednesday 8 miles (treadmill intervals)
Thursday 7.1 miles
Friday 60 min. yoga
Saturday 12.1 miles
Sunday 8 miles
Total 50.2 miles

On Monday I lifted and ran the bridge. I was grateful for the barriers that kept me from blowing into traffic. It’s always windy on the bridge, but Monday was the worst I’ve experienced in awhile. Garmin said the temperature felt like 100, but we know Garmins lie.

I ran Wednesday morning because Clay and I went to Cirque du Soliel OVO in North Charleston. As Yelp elites, we received complimentary tickets to the show and enjoyed dinner at Community Pizza House with other Yelp elites. This was my first Cirque de Soliel show, but I’d love to see another- the actors and actresses are super talented and fit, and every act seemed to top the last one.

IMG_20170809_210818IMG_20170809_213009IMG_20170809_193116

On Thursday, Vy, Anna, Jessica, and I went to Gay Bingo, a fundraiser for Lowcountry AIDS Services. Drag queens called out the bingo numbers and the prizes were pretty incredible, as in $150 gift cards, private dinners, and harbor cruises. None of us won, but it was fun to laugh and be a part of the event for a great cause, plus hanging out with old friends and meeting new friends. We went to Happy Hour before and bingo lasted until almost 10:30, so it was a late night for a Thursday (I had a 20 minute drive home).

IMG_20170810_185115

Saturday’s solo run was tough. Twelve miles is a personal distance record since my February injury, but I got it done. I came home and got ready for the Charleston Beer Runners beach day. I baked “Slutty Brownies”, which are brownies with chocolate chip cookies and Oreos, and they were a big hit.

IMG_20170811_190530

Fran and Craig are beer runners from Philly who have a home at Seabrook Island and hosted the beach day. This was my first trip to Seabrook Island’s beach, and it’s gorgeous. Since it’s a private gated community, Seabrook Island was much less crowded than our other beaches and also allows alcohol. Plus, I didn’t have to wait forever in Folly traffic. We had a big crowd of beer runners and their families, and the water and breeze felt refreshing.

cbr_beach_day_thumb.jpg

On Sunday, I wrapped up the week with the group run from Hampton Park. I ran with Allison and we had a good conversation and ticked off eight miles in the heat (it was 84 at 8:30 AM). Then, we all enjoyed popsicles and Mike’s Hard Lemonade in the park before brunch.

I hope everyone has a great week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link and with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC.

This entry was posted in Charleston Beer Runners, Training Log, Uncategorized, Yelp and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Weekly Rundown: August 7-13

1. Hollie says:

YAY Philly. I don’t know that group personally, but I’ve heard of them several times. Glad it was a good week for you Amy. I feel like last September was a hot hot month (hotter than some summer months…knock on wood, August hasn’t been terrible for us).

Charleston Beer Runners has a few chapters around the US. It’s kind of a neat thing, plus you can’t beat running to a different bar/restaurant each week (I’ve found a lot of good places there).

I have felt like this whole summer has been mild here. It is still hot but we haven’t had any days over 100 or a lot of heat advisories. September can still be a really hot month though!

2. Those brownies look amazing! Great job getting your miles in solo last week. I’m kind of the opposite, I usually prefer training by myself.

Eh, it depends on the run for me. I like to at least SEE people even if I’m running alone, so the bridge and treadmill are good options. I don’t really see any runners in my neighborhood/area very often.

3. Angela says:

Those brownies do look AMAZING!! Well Done on getting the runs done solo! Our weather is pretty much like winter again already 😦

4. NICE JOB hitting 50 miles! Woohoo! I have never played Bingo, but I want to so bad! Although I’m not a very good sport if I’m losing. Slutty brownies would ease my temper though, no doubt.

Yeah, another 50 mile week! I do plan to cut back a bit between now and Aug. 26 for the race though, obviously to be a little sharper for the race and because I have a really busy week the week before.

I just hope that one day the training actually results in a good race I can be proud of.

5. sarahdudek80 says:

I could totally have gotten into your week! Cirque du Soleil, gay bingo, and running?! Not sure it gets much better than that. It’s crazy to think we are weeks away from college football.

6. Another great week (minus the solo running). And such fun events – the bingo looked really cool and who can resist a great beach day??

This was my first beach trip all summer. It makes me want to just take off work and randomly head to the beach. I liked this beach better than the others in Charleston which says a lot because we have some nice ones.

7. That show looks so cool! I saw one many years ago but would love to see another one. That chalk board is too funny. That is exactly how I feel. Fall can’t get here soon enough.

It was my first Cirque show, I would recommend it and I would certainly see another. My eyes were glued to it the whole time- every act seemed better than the last!

8. Great job on hitting 50 miles this week! And those brownies do look amazing!! I’ve been to two Cirque du Soleil and have enjoyed them very much.

Thanks- yea the brownies were great. I think I overcooked them a little, but it’s hard to know how long to cook them with so many layers (and brownies take longer to bake than cookies, generally). Cirque was amazing!

9. HoHo Runs says:

Nice job on your mostly solo runs. What a fun week too! I adore the heat index sign. So true. Can you believe football is almost here? That definitely signals fall, even though the temps will not. I once won the jackpot playing Bingo on a cruise ship. I had to do the Bingo Boogie on stage to collect my prize. And.I.did. Thank goodness is was before everyone had cell phones with cameras.

At least you didn’t have to split the prize- that happens sometimes in bingo games. We are going on a cruise in October and I hope to play bingo there too!

I ran 7 miles tonight, and while it didn’t feel like football season, I was happy to come home and find it on tv…

10. It sounds like a good week – I understand about running with a group. I always run better with other people, but do a lot of solo miles because of my schedule. Those brownies look so delicious! Yum!

11. Laura says:

Looks like a great week Amy! I have only seen 1 cirque show, it was in vegas about 10 years ago but I loved it and would definitely go see another one!

12. I so get the sign of the heat index! How very cool Yelp gave you tickets to dinner and a show! Wow some show too! Looked amazing from the pictures!
    Ha I would love to play Gay Bingo, even if it wasn’t for a great cause like this. Sound like a fun entertaining night even if it was on the week day!

Yep- we are both Yelp elites, so we get a lot of perks. I say perks because nothing is free, Clay and I both write a lot of reviews and create content, and the content is worth something. Still, Charleston is a great place to be elite because we have a good Yelp community here; everyone is friendly and the events are great. You can actually get in, unlike some major cities!

I wish more places did bingo. I like playing bingo…

13. Oh my goodness those brownies look so good! How fun that you got to see Cirque du Soleil – I didn’t know that was such a thing as being a Yelp elite.

Yeah- it’s for people who are basically power users and contributors to Yelp. Reviews, photos, check-ins, etc. I’ve written 500+ reviews and submitted close to 2,000 pictures… LOL.

14. I have made those brownies before!! In fact, they were a reward for one of my long runs (or was it a marathon) for me. But then I just felt guilty after eating them. haha!!! (eh, I got over it, and wolfed down the rest) Cirque du Soleil looks really cool. I’d like to see that show sometime.

15. Elizabeth C. says:

Very solid week of training. And that is incredible about the free Cirque tickets. Those are expensive. I’ve seen two Cirques and one Vegas show that was like Cirque but with a big pool of water in the center of the stage. Those slutty brownies are amazing– I have made them before and YUM.

Thanks- yeah, the tickets were complimentary, and I hate to say “free” because nothing really is. We do contribute a lot of content for Yelp… BUT I’m grateful that Scotty C. and Sydney held the event. They did a wonderful job with it. I would love to see another Cirque show one day and hope they come back to Charleston.

16. What a great week of training and just life! Well, except almost flying off the bridge due to wind, haha. The Cirque show sounds so, so cool!