Weekly Rundown: July 24-30

Another week of following the Road Racing for Serious Runners 5K plan, another week of (not so) secretly wanting to quit said 5K plan.

It takes a lot of humility to admit that I’m not in the same shape I was in April 2016 when I ran the 20:53 at the Green and Lean 5K, or when I ran the 1:38:14 surprise at the Charleston Half Marathon in January. I may not like where I am as a runner, but it’s reality and everyone starts somewhere. image

I really like David Roche’s articles in Trail Runner magazine. I saw his tweet after a rough Wednesday workout and it gave me a slight glimmer of hope. Maybe once my legs are a bit rested and the temperature is slightly cooler, I can run a race I’m proud of.

Monday 30 min. strength + 7.6 miles
Tuesday 7.2 miles
Wednesday 60 min. yoga + 6.6 miles, including 6 x 600m and 8 x 100m
Thursday Rest Day is the Best Day
Friday 7.7 miles, including 5 mile tempo (treadmill)
Saturday 11.1 miles
Sunday 8 miles
Total 48.3 miles

On Monday, I strength trained that morning, then met Steve and Allison for a run in Downtown Charleston. Allison just moved here from Chicago, so we gave her a grand tour of downtown and ran the inclines/declines of six parking garages. We didn’t push the pace, the humidity was lower, we had a breeze, and the view at the tops of the garages is always nice. It was a great run.

Tuesday, I ran the bike path and the construction zone where I live. Somehow, the construction and demolition stirred up a lot of bugs, so I ran through a swarm of gnats. There’s not much you can do because you don’t realize you’ve run through them until you already have. I wore the gnats for the rest of the run and arrived home sweaty, smelly, and gnatty.

image

Those black specs on my face, chest, and white tank top are all dead gnats. Distance running is far from pretty. If you want glamorous, do pageants instead.

On Wednesday, I headed to the track with the group. Last week, Jason was the only guy, and he missed the picture, so the men showed up in full force and outnumbered us ladies. I ran 6 x 600m with 200m jogs in between, followed by 8 x 100m. I think everyone else ran 400m repeats.

During our workout, a car drove by super slowly, and a group of people inside it yelled “Run Forrest Run” from the car in unison. It was obviously planned because everyone speeds on the road by the school. We laughed about it, because it’s funny that people get a kick out of doing that. None of us know who it was, but Forrest Gump is older than the kids who yelled it, and I’d be surprised if they’ve even seen that movie.

image

On Thursday, I rested from Wednesday’s workout. I had a busy day, with a dentist appointment, shopping (Dillard’s had an additional 40% off clearance- score), and volunteering at the Daniel Island Happy Hour 5K. I worked the preregistration table and it was good to hang out with and cheer for so many friends without actually having to run. You do work hard and work up a sweat when volunteering, though…

IMG_20170727_183030

Friday, I did a 5 mile tempo run on the treadmill. The book’s plan called for an 8K or 10K race, but those are rare enough in coastal South Carolina even when it’s not 90+ degrees, much less in July. I zoned out and got it done, and ran around half marathon pace. It reminded me of the workouts I did when I was following the Hansons Half Marathon Plan last year and how much I miss those workouts (I think I will go back to that…). Either way, the tempo run gave me a bit of much-needed confidence.

On Saturday, I did a long run over the bridge and back with Emily. The sun stayed under, and the clouds made the run bearable, even if we had a headwind going DOWN the Cooper River Bridge. It made the downhill feel more like flat running.  I went to a going away party for Michelle at Holy City Brewery that afternoon. She’s moving to NY and I will certainly miss seeing here at local races and group runs.

I also headed to The Junction Kitchen and Provisions with Cindy, Amy, Melissa, and Kevin, where we ate brunch and took selfies to commemorate it.

FB_IMG_1501349628564

IMG_20170729_104040

Sunday’s run was abnormally cool. This whole summer has been mild in Charleston, but on Sunday morning, we had temperatures in the 70s and little humidity (I think the humidity was in the 70s). It didn’t feel like Charleston- even in the winter, we have high humidity.

I met up with the Hampton Park group and ran 8 miles around downtown. I enjoyed the conversations and temperatures and didn’t rush the run- besides, my legs were pretty torched from Friday’s tempo run. BUT it was nice finishing an 8 mile run and feeling like I could run more, rather than wishing the run would end ASAP because of the conditions.

As for the rest of Sunday, Clay and I went to brunch and chilled out around the house, making a Costco run and getting ready for the start of a super busy work week. I hope everyone has a great one!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link and with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC.

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Weekly Rundown: July 24-30

1. Another solid (and busy) week!! I can so relate about doubting abilities for fall racing! You have a valid reason though coming off 2 injuries but I am POSITIVE you will come back stronger than ever. Summer is never the time to see direct results of hard training. The fact that you felt like you could have ran more after Sunday’s run is proof that you are getting stronger (and faster). Just hang in there Chica, 4 more weeks until the official unofficial start to fall races begin!! You got this!! Love the food pics btw!!

Yesterday’s run felt good because of the temperatures! Every other run in the summer, I’m just glad for it to end and counting down the miles until it ends- which didn’t happen yesterday. I was glad I didn’t have longer than 8 to run though, as I was ready to get home, shower, and go to brunch with Clay.

We went to Workshop on Sunday and I need to blog more about that place. The Junction (where I went with Cindy, Amy, Kevin, and Melissa on Saturday) is okay but not as good as Workshop.

2. Nice post! Looks like you had a busy, productive week. So funny about the dead gnats – that happens to me a lot in the summer, too.

It’s crazy- you don’t know you’ve run through a swarm of gnats until you do, but I didn’t expect to come home covered in them. It wasn’t a trail run or anything where you’d expect to see bugs- just a run in the neighborhood (but we do have a lot of construction here, which sometimes stirs things up).

3. Jennifer @ Dashing in Style says:

Gnat swarms are the worst! So gross to come home and see all the dead gnats on your face, neck and chest! Love that quote from David Roche. Thanks for the link to his articles; I’m going to check them out.

4. It’s like the fake freckle makeup trend…except sweatier and buggier.

I’ve been trying to remind myself to stay patient in the heat these past few weeks (and we still have all of August to deal with, bleh!). Hopefully it will all pay off this fall/winter.

The worst thing was wiping my face off with a towel post workout and seeing all the black specs everywhere, then realizing what happened. Yuck.

August is a long hot month too, but at least the end is in sight. Usually by the end of September, the conditions are okay for racing or actually hitting paces in workouts. I still prefer to race in temperatures in the 40s though- I like to be the one out there in a singlet, shorts, and gloves ;).

5. Ah, yes… the run Forrest run comment is a classic. EYE ROLL. Good movie though. I should watch it again one of these days. Nice week you had there!

6. Christine says:

Sunday was beautiful! It was such weird weather for Charleston, in general, let alone in July. This morning, too. I wish it would stay but I know it won’t. Good job with your workouts. You did a lot and eventually, you’ll be back to your old fitness levels.

This mild weather is getting to me. At least when it’s hot, I have an excuse, lol. Between Friday’s treadmill run, Saturday’s cloudy run, and yesterday’s cool run, I am scared I lost all my heat acclimation!

7. Elizabeth C. says:

I like to think I am responsible for bringing the Alaska weather to the mid-Atlantic on Sunday! Anyway, I love that quote that you screen shotted and I totally believe it to be true. Also, if you liked the half marathon plan by Hansons so much, you may be interested in following this blog: http://roadbacktoboston.blogspot.com/ I know you already read a lot of blogs, but she is using the Hansons half plan, in case you are interested!

One of the runners who came on Sunday just moved here from Chicago, so we joked that she brought us some cooler weather! I’ll take it but it’s already getting warm again here.

I used Hansons half a couple of times, but wanted to try Pfitz because it was something different. I’m gonna check it out though because I always love reading how different people use the plans (I will say Pfitz is a bit more flexible than Hansons).

8. sarahdudek80 says:

I too love that quote. I say something very similar to my runners. You can’t run like you want to in humidity. You have to slow it down. But if you train through it and are patient, you will come out so strong by the time fall rolls around. You are doing a great job. And I always love seeing what delicious things you got to enjoy!

I’m hoping just being consistent and running in it will pay off. If nothing else, it’ll be a big mental boost to run in cooler temps knowing I have put in some pretty long miles in the heat.

This city has so much good food. It’s unbelievable.

9. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

It sounds like you had a great week! It’s tough when you sometimes feel like you’ve hit a plateau, no matter how fast/slow of a runner you may be (I’m definitely the latter!). Hanson’s plan seems to work great for so many people, maybe a change will spice things up?

I did Hansons for a few years until I decided to try this plan, and I think I’ll go back to Hansons. I guess it comes down to if you want to work on your weaknesses or take advantage of your strengths. The Hansons plans work well with my strengths like tempo runs. This Pfitzinger plan is just messing with my head.

Hansons turned me into a half marathoning beast :).

10. I think you should talk to yourself the way you talk to your runner friends. You are always so encouraging and have such a balanced perspective and I always value your thoughts about my training. It’s so hard to apply that to ourselves, but I think you should try! I know it’s tough though, to not be back where you used to be, so I get that. You will get there because you are determined to put in the work. Cheering you on!

Thanks. It’s just really hard. I feel like I am always saying or writing “At least I’m not injured”. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to not be injured. That’s always concern #1 in this sport. But I’ve been running again for months now, and I’m just ready to run a race I am proud of.

I do realize that part of trying something new is the reality that it may NOT work. I only have four weeks until the race now, and I get a little taper. I am just going to finish out the plan and try to do what I can. In the end there are more 5Ks than the one on Aug. 26 anyway.

11. I haven’t been reading your blog that long but I did not know you trained using the Hansons Marathon Plan. How did it go?

Oh man, those gnats!??!?! Wow!

I highly recommend Hansons. You have to do it right, and so many people don’t. They skimp on warmup/cooldown, take a lot of days off, etc. Things happen in life and no one follows any plan 100% but you can only modify a plan so much and still say you are following that plan.

The only downside I have found in Hansons was that toward the end of the half plan, the tempo runs were getting a little TOO long for me to run at goal pace and recover well. A 6 mile tempo at goal half marathon pace is a REALLY tough workout when running 6x a week (and when you have a lot more miles to come after that workout but before your next rest day).

Also Hansons isn’t for those weird runners who say they hate rest days because when you run six days a week and two workouts in there, you start to really CRAVE that lone day off…

• Thanks Amy! I used Hansons last year while training for the Chicago Marathon. It was tough! I did not get the time I wanted but I did get a PR and it was a great confidence booster because I was running so well at the beginning of the race until I developed some pain in my right hip/glutes.