Weekly Rundown: July 10-16

It’s Monday. It’s July. It’s hot. Nothing new under the sun- but the sun sure is bright.

heat-wave-meme_thumb.jpg

Last week, I left my comfort zone behind and ran a 50 mile week. For me, that’s more of a mental accomplishment than physical because I usually log 46-49 miles a week so it’s just another mile or two, literally. I haven’t run a weekly mileage starting with a 5 at all in 2017, so I thought it was a neat goal for the week.

I also ran the last Race the Landing 5K. I used this race as a workout, with the goals of finishing with a smile and eating ice cream. I accomplished both goals, and I’ll recap the race later this week.

Monday 9 miles including 15 x 100m
Tuesday 7.55 miles (treadmill)
Wednesday 60 min. yoga + 6.2 miles
Thursday 7.1 miles including Race the Landing 5K (22:22)
Friday 60 min. yoga
Saturday 11.1 miles
Sunday 9 miles
Total 50 miles

On Monday afternoon, we had a bad thunderstorm. The power flickered at my home just as I was about to log off the computer. Unfortunately, it ruined my work laptop’s docking station and a monitor, which meant I was down to a single monitor for work all week. At first, I figured I was kissing productivity goodbye for the week. But… I got a lot of work despite only having one monitor- only because I printed things out.

The lightening also knocked out the red lights on my road, so when I left the house to run with the group, I decided to turn around, drive home, and run the neighborhood instead. I ran easy miles, followed by the 12 x 100m workout that the Road Racing for Serious Runners 5K plan called for this week, and some more easy miles.

On Wednesday, we had track night and a goodbye party for John, who is moving to Phoenix, Arizona. Everyone ran their workouts (our group is BYOW- Bring Your Own Workout), then we headed to Icehouse for drinks and food. Since it was John’s last night, we let him take the group selfie. It’s a funny selfie because Mike is covered up completely by John’s head and it looks like Charlie (Mike’s daughter) is floating in mid-air.

IMG_20170712_175439

The final 5K of the Race the Landing series was Thursday night. It wasn’t my fastest time, but that’s okay because I’m deep in training for next month’s Race for the Ark (and did not rest or take it easy prior to the race). I was happy to run, receive a finisher’s medal, earn an age group coaster award, and make memories with friends.

Shawanna visited from Columbia and set a new course record (18:07!!), and Noah Moore Runs Real Estate group sponsored free ice cream for all runners. You can’t beat a run with friends and ice cream at the finish. If you’re jealous of Charleston races  and want to be a part of them, contact Noah about moving down here. You can even use Lucey Mortgage Corporation, who sponsored the ice cream truck earlier this summer, for your financial needs.

image

On Saturday, Emily and I ran the bridge for a long run. It was hot and muggy, and traffic lights and crazy drivers made us stop a bit. Thankfully, Chris from Fleet Feet Mt. Pleasant and Catherine from Blue Sky Endurance had water stops out, which were a big help with the hot temperatures.

I’m a huge advocate of supporting your local running and triathlon stores is because they give back to the community. A large chain running store probably wouldn’t have water and Nuun for runners doing Saturday morning long runs on the bridge or to Sullivan’s Island.

We ran just over 11 miles and hit Cooper River Coffee Roasters, where we ran into Cindy and Ed and chatted over delicious cold brew.

IMG_20170715_105824

On Sunday, I ran with the OnShore Recreation Group (plus one extra mile to make it to 50), then had some brunch and ate a bit more ice cream that evening. Because copious amounts of cookies and cream are the only way to make it through summer running.

Have a great week, everyone!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link and with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC.

This entry was posted in Blue Sky Endurance, Fleet Feet Mount Pleasant, OnShore Recreation, Race the Landing, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Weekly Rundown: July 10-16

1. Nice job hitting 50 miles last week. I’m hoping to be up there in either August or September. Slowly but surely working back to that level.

I love that there was free ice cream after your race. What a great perk for a summer race.

It was awesome- everyone enjoyed the ice cream. I think more races need to have the ice cream truck. This race does provide dinner, but ice cream is just so good in the summertime. The kids run is big at this one so the kids love getting the ice cream too.

2. I’m totally moving to Charleston and leaving all the kids behind!!! Ha ha ha! Congrats on the big 5-0!!!! WOOHOOO!

3. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

You had a great week and congrats on the 5K! I can’t imagine running 50 miles in one week, lol! It looks like your friend had a nice sendoff. I need to find a race with free ice cream!

There is nothing special about running 50 miles per week, but you could do it (heck- I do it and even take a day off running). It’s not the kind of thing you just do, but once I got my mileage solidly over 40mpw it really wasn’t that hard (just added a mile or two onto other days). It’s definitely not for everyone though, and I’m not even sure if it’s for me. I run a lot, but I’m still not fast.

4. Sounds like a nasty storm you had. Glad you were productive though.

Great runs this week and Yay for free ice cream! Nice plug for the Realtor too! My friend lives in Columbia and is also a Realtor!

Noah is great! It’s not just a plug for him- he did sponsor the truck, and I guess I wanted to clarify that even though it was free, obviously someone paid and it was him.

Noah Moore and Lorcan Lucey are two local runners and businessmen who are very generous with sponsoring local races and runs. They both have inspiring stories and are great people in general for giving back to the lowcountry.

5. Yay for a 50 mile week! That’s a huge accomplishment (even if you run 48-49 miles weekly usually!)!

Can’t beat free ice cream in July! That’s awesome 🙂

I love ice cream. Sunday was National Ice Cream Day, so I ended up going to a local shop that was giving away ice cream too. Cookies and Cream and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough are my favorites.

6. Elizabeth C. says:

Major congrats to you on the 50 mile week. And that includes a race, so even more impressive. The thunderstorms and power outage sound miserable. Good thing you were able to make do with just the one monitor. I feel like we are at the ‘halfway’ point of summer, with the finish line in sight!

I’m *still* making do with one monitor! I feel like it’s a first world problem to complain about but I don’t know how people work without dual monitors (if they work a job in software development that is).

I wish I could say we’re at the halfway point of summer, but it is warm here until at least mid September. This afternoon wasn’t too bad; it was 82 on my run and overcast which is the best you can ask for in July.

7. Congrats on running 50 miles! That is awesome!!

8. Hollie says:

Numbers are so funny. It’s literally one mile or breaking a certain time by 1 second and it seems like an obstacle. Congrats on getting up there Amy!

9. Woohoo 50! I’ll be getting there in a few weeks but man, I’m already wiped now at just 41 miles lol. I love that you have such a great running community down there. It makes all the difference in my opinion.

To be honest I am kind of wiped out too and think I need a cutback week- or a permanent cutback. 50 is a big milestone, but I feel “fresher” at 45ish. It doesn’t mean I won’t run another 50 mile week again, but I may save it for training for longer distances.