Weekly Rundown: July 3-9

Happy Monday, everyone! Tuesday’s ION Firecracker 5K race nightmare and Wednesday’s strength training that left my legs sore until Sunday made me change up the schedule a bit.

After the race, I skipped my workouts from the training plan. I needed to recover from the race (even if it was a bad race), and skipping a speed workout is not the end of the world. Fortunately, this was my choice and not because injuries or illnesses forced me to skip the workout. Today starts a new week, and I’m confident it will be a better one.

image

Fall victories aren’t sweet, they’re sweaty. Besides, complaining about the heat and humidity doesn’t make them go away or make the runs any easier. We will reap the benefits of our training in October.

Monday 6 miles
Tuesday 7.3 miles including Ion Firecracker 5K (22:26)
Wednesday 30 min. strength + 6.4 miles
Thursday 7 miles
Friday 60 min. yoga
Saturday 11.3 miles
Sunday 8 miles
Total 46 miles

Summer officially arrived on Wednesday, our first run in temperatures that felt like 100+ degrees. At track, I was hoping to run my second workout of the week, but instead ran steady state miles on the track while cheering for my friends who did their workouts.

image

After track, I picked up some cupcakes from Trolly Dolly Treats, a mobile bakery based out of Summerville. I won the cupcakes in a Facebook giveaway for sharing the page’s posts. You can find Trolly Dolly Treats at the local farmer’s markets, so if you’re in Charleston, check them out.

The cupcakes were delicious- Clay and I had two and sent the rest to his workplace so he and his coworkers could enjoy them.

image

On Thursday, I woke up with serious DOMS from Wednesday’s strength workout. I did lots of lunges and single-leg deadlifts. I ran the bridge that evening, and even though I finished near a track, I skipped the 12 x 100m workout because of the DOMS. It was 90 degrees but felt like 108 and I just wanted to drink tons of water and Nuun.

Work was crazy on Friday, and I spent the entire morning and early afternoon dealing with client issues. Thankfully, our clients are happy and I made it to yoga. I needed yoga for the stress of work and because my legs were still sore.

On Saturday, I ran 11 miles with Emily around Mt. Pleasant and over the bridge. We took it easy and even stopped to check out some new home construction on the route. I’m a real estate nerd and love keeping up with it. Charleston’s definitely a seller’s market, and homes don’t stay on it long. I’m glad we own a home because in the four years since we bought, prices have skyrocketed.

Sunday’s run was the best weather of the week. 81 degrees and only 84% humidity. We even had a little breeze. I ran 8 miles with the crew, then we shared popsicles and Mike’s Hard Lemonade. It’s five o’clock somewhere, and it’s always five o’clock after a Sunday morning group run.

image

I hope everyone has a good week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link and with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC.

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Weekly Rundown: July 3-9

1. I feel like once July got here, the heat and humidity turned up a notch or two. June was kind of mild (comparatively speaking). I think everyone is struggling at this point and just ready for fall. Not gonna lie, I’m kind of jealous of the recovery beverages Sunday morning. Sounds really refreshing 🙂

I agree that June was pretty mild here. Up until this week we had a mild summer and still technically have. We had a lot of days that didn’t reach 90, but I think those days are over for awhile now.

2. Sunday was nicer for us as well. It’s funny because the humidity will drop just a tiny bit but it makes a HUGE difference!

It’s crazy but it does. Yesterday, we had some thunderstorms in the early afternoon which dropped our humidity that evening below 90%. It felt like a cold front to my excessively heat acclimated body.

3. I’m a real estate nerd too!!! Your temps and humidity sound AWFUL. 🤢You are one tough chick.

Nah, this is where I have lived and run for the past five years. Eventually you just kind of adapt to life in the heat and humidity. It’s like how other places have cold weather and hills that challenge runners (we don’t have cold weather or hills here).

4. HoHo Runs says:

It’s hot and humid here (of course) but I just can’t imagine doing a track workout when the heat index is over 100. Although, if you promised me a cupcake — I might just do anything. Here’s (or cheers) to fall running payoffs.

I like the track on the really hot days. It’s hard to do any workout where you sustain a hard pace for any amount of time, but at least with the track being loops, you have access to water often and you can stop if you feel bad.

5. sarahdudek80 says:

Another great week of workouts! Those cupcakes look delicious. That would be all the motivation I would need to keep running in the heat.

I wish I could have picked the cupcakes up before the workout, but the lady was at a farmer’s market- so I ended up with a dozen cupcakes on my drive home. I was so hot and sweaty that I didn’t want one until a few hours later anyway. They were quite delicious.

6. girl, you are doing an amazing job training this summer! those cupcakes look divine but then again, I’m a sucker for cupcakes!! it was really good to finally meet up at onshore again and get in the miles with you. I always enjoy running that route and need to do it more often!!!!
    hope you have a great week ahead and you can get in all your workouts!

Thanks! I did get a workout in yesterday and was so thankful for that. It means I have two days of easier running before RTL. The cupcakes were delicious and the lady who makes them does not live too far from you (she’s off Bacon’s Bridge Rd). She goes to the markets and events in the Summerville and Cane Bay areas so check her out if you see her.

7. Elizabeth C. says:

Nice week and I think it was a good decision to skip a workout after a hard race like that. I feel like races that don’t go well can take even more of a toll then when you ran a “fast” race. Anyway, we had low-humidity weather here on Sunday as well. It was a nice break.

Humidity was lower here last night, so I took advantage of it and did a workout. That’s one thing I like about this Pfitz plan, you’re not tied to a given workout on a certain day of the week, so I can juggle it around. Granted that means times like last week I missed a workout, but it’s hard to do a workout when the “feels like” is 108 and I question if it’s even worth doing a workout if you can’t recover from it with the heat. Sometimes it takes everything I have to recover from easy runs in the weather.

8. Christine says:

Those cupcakes look delicious. Last week the heat and humidity just came flying right in. It was sort of shock to my system. You know it’s been ridiculously hot and humid when it’s 85 degrees and you’re out there thinking it feels cool.

Sad but true. We were outside Saturday night and it felt good outside, then I got in the car to leave and saw that it was 86. We all now have a skewed perception of what feels good!

9. July certainly has seemed to bring the humidity with it!
    I would love to have a Trolly Dolly here! Those cupcakes look amazing!