Weekly Rundown: June 26 – July 2

Happy long holiday weekend! Between Canada Day on July 1 and Independence Day on July 4, we have a lot to celebrate.

Last week, I did two workouts, shared a number of runs with friends, went out for post-run recovery food and drinks twice, and am injury free and happy. That’s what I call a successful week.

Monday 30 min. strength + 8 miles
Tuesday 8 miles
Wednesday 60 min. yoga + 6.2 miles (10 x 200m)
Thursday 7.1 miles (30 min. tempo)
Friday No workout
Saturday 11.1 miles + 60 min. yoga
Sunday 8 miles
Total 48.4 miles

I started my Monday out with some strength training, then ran the bridge with Steve and Dave that afternoon. The humidity was lower (66%, so basically nonexistent for Charleston this time of year), so the run didn’t feel half bad! I love running the bridge, and if I lived or worked downtown or in Mt. Pleasant, I’d have to stop myself from running it every day.

On Tuesday, I participated in the Run Into Shape LOVE Wins! run for Emmanuel AME Church. About 70 people gathered at White Point Garden to run in the shape of the word LOVE or a cross and remember the Emanuel Nine church shooting victims.

image

The run was very inspirational, with people of all ages and abilities showing up to remember the victims, and it made the local newspaper. In the end, running is about bringing people together, not just medals, times, and awards.

image

On Tuesday AND Wednesday, I had crazy DOMS from Monday’s short lifting session. I did weighted lunges for the first time in weeks, and I’m pretty sure that’s what did it (we won’t speak of the baby weights I lift). I went to an extra yoga class on Wednesday to try to get rid of the soreness.

On Wednesday night, we did a group track workout. I ran 10 x 200m with about a 200m jog recovery (I say “about” because I ran the recoveries in the outer lanes of the track). This was another workout from the Pfitzinger Road Racing for Serious Runners plan, and I’m digging these shorter intervals, especially in the heat.

After track, we headed to Montreaux Bar and Grill for a going away party for Keri, the Summerville Tri Club “Team Mom”. She’s dealt with her share of injuries and setbacks but stays super involved pit crewing and organizing events and parties for the club. We will all miss her a lot.

image

image

image

I was off work on Thursday, so I had lunch with Clay and did my tempo run that night at Planet Fitness. I normally like a day between my two workouts, but I had a lot going on Friday and didn’t want to chance missing the workout.

Saturday’s long run went pretty well- at least, much better than last week. The humidity was 100%, and the worst part of running in the heat and humidity here is that my socks and shoes are wet with sweat. I can wipe sweat from my face, and it drips off the body, but you can’t change shoes and socks mid-run.

Chris from Fleet Feet Sports Mt Pleasant was at the base of the bridge with Nuun and bottles of water. I was thankful to see him at Mile 3 and Mile 8 of my run and grateful for the extra hydration. The Cooper River Bridge has fountains on both sides, and I’ve planned my route to hit a few water stops, but the water Chris hands out is COLD! After my run, I drove home to change then did a yoga class.

On Sunday, I ran with the OnShore Recreation group for 8 miles. Pat brought popsicles, beer, and Mike’s Hard Lemonade, so we had a nice “recovery party” to celebrate surviving another hot Sunday run. I don’t drink beer and was thrilled with the Mike’s.

image

Lots of the runners go to brunch at Moe’s Crosstown Tavern each Sunday, and I don’t usually go because Clay and I often do brunch, or I go to yoga. Clay was out of town on Sunday, and I did yoga the day before, so I took the rare opportunity to have brunch with everyone. I had the “America Pancakes” with strawberries, blueberries, and white chocolate chips, and they were delicious and patriotic. I had a great time hanging out and talking to some different runners who joined the group run this morning.

image

I hope everyone has a great week, and best wishes to anyone racing on July 4!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link and with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC.

This entry was posted in OnShore Recreation, Summerville, Summerville Running and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Weekly Rundown: June 26 – July 2

1. Angela says:

That run on Tuesday is awesome and even looks awesome on the map, LOVE!!! Sounds like a fab week (I lift baby weights too) those pancakes look sooooo good!!!

This group has a run every month and each month is a different shape or word. I’m going back because it’s really fun to see how it turns out when you’re done. It’s easy to over think when running though, wondering if you’re making the wrong turn or if you did something wrong, but then when I finished I loved how it looked! Guess it’s a reminder that in the end, things turn out okay :).

2. Ooooooh those pancakes look good! Baby weight lifters unite! I haven’t had a Mikes in SO LONG. They look so refreshing after such a humid run!!

That cooler of Popsicles and beer is basically a pot of gold after a run here. Mike’s was my drink of choice in college, but now I want to do like the 90s kids and try a ZIMA and Jolly Rancher since ZIMA is back (at least here in the States).

3. That LOVE Wins run is amazing! What a fantastic tribute 😉

It was so great to see runner come together not to compete or try to win, but to honor the victims and remember them. Plus all ages and abilities were there, even little kids and walkers. Everyone had the same great goal in mind!

4. Those pancakes – yes please! Love that run you did on Tuesday – how special. And yes, COLD water while running is THE BEST THING EVER.

5. laurenweiner says:

I’ve been gone forever and so glad to see you are back to being healthy and injury free! Those pancakes are making me seriously jealous right now!

6. Wow, love your run on Tuesday! And those pancakes look good for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

They were great! Only available until 1:30 on Sunday at Moe’s Tavern, though- after that, they switch to the regular menu. That restaurant has the best pancake specials, but they don’t rotate them often so when I see one I like, I always order it.

7. angelilli016 says:

Short intervals in the heat are the best! Great week of training!

Thanks- I didn’t realize I’d like the short intervals as much as I have. The workouts go by quickly and even though the distance isn’t very long, I sure do feel it the next day.

8. Kara says:

That does sound like a successful week! Especially the post-run recovery food and drinks x2 🙂 Glad you’re injury free and happy!

9. Elizabeth C. says:

I’m drooling over the America pancakes. Great week! It’s crazy that the humidity was so bad that your shoes and socks were soaked wow. Nice job fitting the tempo run in and the strength training. I’m so excited that you ran 200s. I think they will really help your speed and it only takes a few sessions for you really to notice an improvement!

Yeah, most runs lately my shoes and socks have been soaked. I think it may be the brand of socks I am wearing (Feetures Ultra Light). I ran 6 miles last night in a different pair of socks and they were not as soaked, so maybe I will keep experimenting with socks.