Weekly Rundown: June 19-25

Happy Monday, everyone!

We’ve got nine weeks until Race for the Ark 5K, and this week felt harder. Looking back, I realize it’s because I didn’t treadmill any. It’s amazing how different a weekly mileage number feels when some of them are “treadmiles” compared to all outdoor running in the heat and humidity. The weather cooperated, so why not?

Monday 30 min. strength + 8.8 miles (garages + 12 x 100m)
Tuesday 7.3 miles
Wednesday 30 min. strength + 6.3 miles (including 5 x 1000m)
Thursday No workout (5K volunteering)
Friday 7.8 miles
Saturday 11.1 miles
Sunday 8 miles + 60 min. yoga
Total 49.4 miles

On Monday, Planet Fitness got new machines so everything was in different places. I’m not a fan of the new machines because they don’t fit my body well. Seats don’t go far enough up, things like that. That’s a drawback of ANY weight machine and why I try to use free weights, barbells, and body weight (and because machines don’t work stabilizer muscles) but I’ll miss the hip abduction and glute machines that I liked.

Monday afternoon I did a parking garage run with Steve, Emilie, Dave, and Irene, followed by the 12 x 100m workout from the Road Racing for Serious Runners 5K plan. I was nervous about this workout, but after so many years of tempo runs and long intervals, my body probably needs it to develop a fast gear. I ran up and down a side street beside a park, so people sitting in the swings saw me running back and forth. I hoped they’d cheer for me like I was some kind of Olympian, but it didn’t happen. Oh well.

Wednesday was National Selfie Day and track! We had a few others show up who missed the picture. The rain and storms held off, but it felt like running in a sauna. Summerville always lives up to it’s name.

image

My workout was 5 x 1000m, again from the plan. The target time was 2-3 seconds per lap slower than goal 5K pace. I did not hit this for the first two intervals, but the last three went a little better.

After failing the first two intervals on Wednesday night and not sleeping well that night, I took Thursday off running but ate like I ran a marathon (as usual, and I don’t run marathons).

That evening, I volunteered at the Daniel Island Happy Hour 5K. The rain held off and it was overcast but muggy. I gave out bibs and shirts to preregistered runners, then took some pictures. Everyone had a safe race and finished smiling and injury free, so it was a big success. I love volunteering- you see a different side of the sport without putting my body through the ringer of racing all the time.

image

Saturday’s run was brutal. You know how Facebook lets you mark yourself “safe” to show you survived a hurricane, tornado, or other disaster? I needed that for Saturday’s long run.

I started early (7:40 AM) and have run later and in hotter temperatures plenty of times, so I’m not sure why this run felt so much worse. There was a headwind on the bridge, and I had two WTF stops. WTF stands for “Where’s The Finish?” among other phrases, but I stopped to catch my breath during the run. I was jealous of the cyclists on the bridge, longed for a bike to get back to my car faster, and debated walking (I didn’t, because that would be on Strava.

Brutal runs are hard, but I’m proud of my 100% success rate of making it through. Saturday was Clay’s birthday so I picked up a lemon bundtlet from Nothing Bundt Cakes and we went to The Southern General for lunch. It wasn’t a huge birthday bash, but we like low-key.

19397063_960894927533_7656481893390156299_n

The Southern General has the BEST sandwiches for a bar, especially the sesame shrimp. Clay said his pork tenderloin with chimcurri sandwich was the best he’d had in a long time.

19397148_960894902583_730867950514200146_n

Sunday’s run went MUCH better than Saturday’s! I ran from Hampton Park with the group, and Emily and I logged a solid eight miles. We proceeded to “recover” with yoga and the Boozie Bingo Brunch at Charleston Sports Pub, where one of her friends won a mimosa carafe for our table- score! Bingo was a lot of fun and I think we’ll do it again soon.

19424549_961195260663_4021649526400827609_n

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link and with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC.

This entry was posted in Daniel Island, Daniel Island Happy Hour 5K, Race Volunteering, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Weekly Rundown: June 19-25

1. Happy Birthday, Clay! The food looks good. Would the parking garage runs be SO HOT there?! Because there’s no breeze? Nice job on all your workouts last week!

There’s a nice breeze at the top of the garages so it’s a bit cooler, oddly enough. The view is also worth it and you can smell restaurants around downtown. I don’t eat barbecue, but it makes for a nice smelling garage…

2. Happy birthday to Clay!
    What is a garage workout?

We run a downtown sightseeing route but also run up to the top of six different parking garages to get some hill work in. Or as close to hill work as you get living in Charleston…

3. angelilli016 says:

Great week of training! Strava surely is a great motivator isn’t it? What’s your goal for the 5k you are currently training for?

4. Awesome week of work! Track workouts are brutal (at least for me as I’m just now getting into them.) This summer seems like it’s gonna be a hot one here too. Happy training!

5. That sandwich looks yummy! A garage workout huh? Pretty interesting. Track workouts are not fun but they need to be done.

6. sarahdudek80 says:

Sandwiches and bingo! Seriously, that sandwich looks amazing. My husband loves bingo. We once took every piece of furniture out of our apartment and turned it into a giant bingo hall for a fundraiser. It was awesome. Although, I’m sure the keg helped 😉

Bingo is always more fun with booze. I think that’s why it’s so popular on cruise ships- yesterday was my first time playing bingo since my last cruise a few years ago. I’m definitely finding bars and restaurants with bingo now, I want to play more often.

7. Bingo! So fun. 🙂 Saturday was INSANELY humid in DC as well. The humidity is much lower in Chicago, which is awesome! Happy birthday to Clay!

8. Nice work on your faux hills followed by 100m repeats. Sounds like a tough work out.

Happy birthday to Clay. Those massive sandwiches look like a pretty good way to celebrate.

9. Elizabeth C. says:

Nice week! You are really progressing. I looked at your Strava splits for your Saturday run and you were quite speedy. Especially up that 100+ ascent within one mile on a warm morning! No wonder you had the WTF moments. It’s awesome that you finished it though- it shows a lot of perseverance and you can bring that with you to races.

Yeah, Saturday was a bridge run. We don’t have any hills or real elevation here, just the bridge, so I try to run it when I can (usually: Saturday mornings). I love running it.

It’s always hot and humid here these days, although yesterday the humidity was only 66% so not bad at all. I heard this morning was nice too but I’m totally not a morning person to experience that!

10. Kara says:

Haha laughing about your “because it would be on Strava” comment. There’s been so many times that the only thing motivating me was the fact that the data would be recorded on my Garmin or I knew I’d have to blog about it. Great job on finishing!

Anddd those sandwiches look sooo good!

Those sandwiches are the best! I recommended it to a tri club lady and they went there after her daugher did the Kiawah Island Kids Triathlon, since it was on their way home. She said it was the best sandwiches ever and is still raving about it (and that triathlon was in April, lol). It’s budget friendly too because the meal is like $10!

11. I know what you mean about treadmill miles vs outdoor miles. When I was running all the time a few years back it was definitely easier to hop on the treadmill without and incline versus running on the Pittsburgh hills haha!

Your sandwich from The Southern General looks so good! Happy belated birthday to Clay!