Weekly Rundown: June 5-11

Happy Monday everyone! Training had its ups and downs last week.

The highlight of my week was Thursday night’s Race the Landing 5K. I volunteered at the race since I ran a 5K race the night before. Thursday was a gorgeous night for running with no humidity, and my friend Shawanna visited from Columbia to set a new course record of 18:19.

We are all so proud of her and excited to see her win the race for the ladies and break the course record. I have fast friends!

image

Volunteering was tougher this week. Several volunteers were on vacation and we were short a few people, but Melissa’s kids and a few other kids saved the day. Our road races and future are in great hands with the kids who volunteer at Charles Towne Landing. They did an awesome job handing out water and medals.

Monday 30 min. strength + 8 miles (treadmill intervals)
Tuesday 7.6 miles
Wednesday 30 min strength + 7.2 miles including The Big Run 5K (22:28)
Thursday 7.4 miles
Friday No workout.
Saturday 11.1 miles
Sunday 8 miles + 60 min. yoga
Total 49.3 miles

We had some crazy thunderstorms on Monday that kept me inside again. I planned to run the bridge with some friends, but after hearing a loud boom of thunder on my drive downtown, I changed lanes and went to Planet Fitness. It was pizza night at Planet, so I chowed down on two slices of Papa John’s after my 8 miler. The pizza has been upgraded from Domino’s to Papa John’s.

pf_pizz

Tuesday’s run was an uneventful Trash Truck Tuesday on the bike path, although too fast for the day before a race. Thursday’s run was basically the same usual route as Tuesday’s but an easier, slower pace. I need to start earlier so that my runs don’t turn into progression runs.

I ran the Big Run 5K race on Wednesday, and while I’m not where I want to be, at least I’m healthy and can keep working toward my goals. I’ll blog more about The Big Run later this week, but I was very disappointed with my performance. Summer is the perfect season to try new things, so I plan to do that over the next few (okay, 11) weeks.

IMG_20170610_104527_950

By the end of the week, the weather was gorgeous- for June in Charleston. The temperatures were warm, but the humidity was lower- so it felt quite mild compared to the scorching hot and humid days we usually have this time of year. I did a long run on Saturday over the bridge and back, then a nice easy effort on Sunday downtown. I met up with the OnShore Recreation group but most people weren’t running 8 miles today, so I ran the last 6 solo.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

image

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link and with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC.

This entry was posted in Fleet Feet Mount Pleasant, Fleet Feet Summerville, Race the Landing, Race Volunteering, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Weekly Rundown: June 5-11

1. kookyrunner says:

Great job on your workouts this week and congrats to your friend on setting a course PR! I love pizza, especially Papa John’s pizza. It’s a great way to carb load!
    Thanks for linking up for the Weekly Wrap!

Papa John’s isn’t my favorite (I like thinner crust pizza), but since it was there and I ran 8 miles… why not? I took it home and ate it, and at least I didn’t have to worry about dinner post run.

2. Great week! Do the thunderstorms get rid of the humidity? Like once the storm passes, the humidity goes with it for a few days?

3. I love that you shared your pizza pic. ❤

4. I came back to hot temps and high humidity after being in CA for the past few days. I was not excited about it, lol. Have a great week! Glad that the kids helped out volunteering!

We were super glad the kids helped. The humidity hasn’t been through the roof here over the last few days, and it’s kind of nice to have a break from it! I know it will just get hotter, so I’m enjoying the break from it!

5. Elizabeth C. says:

Nice week! With the other volunteers not being available, it was great that you were able to help out as much as you did. And yay for Shawanna! I follow her on Instagram. What an inspiration she is. Looks like a nice week, and I await your race recap.

I was glad I could help. I spend a lot of time defending my decision to volunteer to other runners, but I just don’t want to race twice in one week. I love helping and feel like more runners should volunteer, you look at the sport differently when you do.

Shawanna is great, inspirational, has a positive attitude, and supportive of all runners. We need more runners like her in this sport and it’s great to see someone like her setting course records and winning SC Runner of the Year.

6. The Race the Landing races always sound like such fun! Especially racing at night!! Congrats to your friend on her course record! Yay for nice weather 🙂

We were so happy Shawanna broke the record! They are fun races in the evenings- most of us are doing them as tempo runs or just for fun, so the run has a nice spirit. It is not super competitive (not that you can be with this heat).