Weekly Rundown: May 29-June 4

Happy Monday everyone! June is here, so hello heat and humidity! It’s the reality of living in the South, just like other areas have to deal with cold weather or snow. Plus, running in the humidity always makes my lungs stronger for Fall races and strengthens my mental game as well.

No matter what the weather reports or my Garmin say, I can’t complain about running right now. May was my highest mileage month since October.

Thankfully the weather wasn’t too crazy this week, and life wasn’t too crazy either. I did two workouts, got a sports massage, and volunteered at Race the Landing. I also had a productive work and real life week.

Monday 8 miles including 30 min. HMP tempo
Tuesday 7.1 miles
Wednesday 30 min. strength + 6.4 miles track
Thursday No workout.
Friday 7.2 miles
Saturday 11.1 miles
Sunday 8 miles + 60 min. yoga
Total 47.8 miles

I was off work on Monday for Memorial Day, so I did a 30 minute tempo run at Planet Fitness on the treadmill while watching The Price is Right. I need a running game for treadmilling during the Price is Right. Maybe increase the incline by 1% every time a contestant outbids another by $1 and see just how steep the run is by the end of the show.

Lowe’s had a fun sale on grills for the holiday so we bought a new one. So far this week, Clay grilled kabob vegetables, sea scallops, and chicken. My husband loves his grill.

18765874_952728138843_1342659435259717370_n

On Tuesday, I had to squeeze my run in early because I scheduled a house cleaning and we were the first home on the lady’s list. I ran so early that I even beat the trash trucks and school buses.

I ran on a bike path near my house, and there’s a fallen tree on the path. The tree’s about the color and size of a gator. It’s been on the ground since the winter, and I’ve run by it probably 20 times, but when I approach that tree, I always think it’s a gator- especially early in the mornings.

I wish some good Samaritan would move the tree- shouldn’t the city have a number to call for that?

k43G3R8

^^That is a meme. Those are real gators and that is a photoshopped sign. That is NOT my actual bike path.^^

Aside from the psuedo gator, Tuesday’s run was boring. I was hungry and tired, and my pace reflected that. Sometimes you have to schedule the miles whenever you can. I’m not usually a weekday morning runner, but I was far more productive for the rest of the day, and perhaps my run contributed to that. Even if it wasn’t the best run, it made my day a little better- and that’s what counts.

On Wednesday, I did a track workout with the crew. We had a good crowd, but we had to dodge high school aged sprinters who basically hogged the track. Their coach said we could run in lanes 8-9, which isn’t ideal but most of us program our workouts into our watches so the lane we run in doesn’t matter. I’m just grateful we can run there because other schools here lock tracks, and we’ve been using this track for over two years now.

Anyway, this coach and his athletes left their spikes, blocks, and a chair out in lanes 8-9. Kids were walking in front of us or just standing there. One kid ran a lap really hard and basically collapsed in Lane 9 and stayed there with me lapping him during my 1200. The other kids who run in this area are great and the coaches are understanding and supportive.

18834671_10103849153387628_1690789673_n

Despite dodging obstacles and kids, I ran 4 x 1200m repeats, and it was probably my best workout since February.

I took a rest day on Thursday to get a sports massage and volunteer at Race the Landing. I unpacked 200 medals, opened at least that many water bottles, and took a ton of pictures. I learned that I need to take a day off running on days I volunteer because it takes a lot out of you physically and mentally. I was exhausted when I got home.

Every runner should volunteer sometimes. Whether you volunteer because you’re sidelined or by choices (and I’ve done both), you leave with a different appreciation and view of the sport. That’s a whole different blog post, though.

18813726_953104459693_4982434559560043854_n

On Saturday I ran the bridge. I watched the Lowcountry Splash swimmers swim underneath the bridge while I was running it, which was neat. Over an 11 mile run, I didn’t see any runners I knew on the bridge, which is really rare. Almost everyone I know was running a local 5K or doing the Splash Swim.

I ran with the OnShore/Hampton Park group on Sunday for 8 miles. It wasn’t quite 100% humidity so I had a small dry spot on my shirt when I finished (Saturday was so humid, I looked like I did Lowcountry Splash). Afterwards Emily and I went to Harris Teeter to buy groceries since it was Super Double Coupon weekend and then went to yoga.

18920328_1331385000262874_2895322953150298577_n

Now, it’s Sunday evening. Clay grilled again! I hope everyone has a wonderful week.

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link and with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC.

This entry was posted in Race the Landing, Race Volunteering, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Weekly Rundown: May 29-June 4

1. Hollie says:

I would agree that every runner should volunteer at least once. Races and running truly cannot happen without volunteers.

It sounds like it was a solid week for you Amy. Nice job.

It’s crazy how much work goes on behind the scenes that most of those running the race don’t even know about! It takes a LOT to pull off these races…

I hope you’re doing well, Hollie!

2. You had an awesome week of training! I love the treadmill game idea! Please come up with something and let me know so I can play along 🙂

I should! It might make for a great workout but if nothing else, it would be truly unpredictable.

When someone outbids another by $1, then gets on stage, I’m always mad and root for them to lose! Same when people spin the wheel, get into the showcase, and bid on the car when the person has already won a car.

Give the other contestant a chance at the car, okay?!?!

3. Do you ever see real alligators when you are running? What do you do? Alligators really freak me out so I would probably be resigned to a life of treadmills and city sidewalks.

I do not see real alligators often but I have seen a few in the water or very far away in the distance. I have also seen dolphins a couple of times when running over the IOP connector and places like that.

I frequently see snakes, usually dead (thankfully).

4. I just can’t with the possibility of a gator. No ma’am! Love that y’all got a new grill. That’s a great way to kick off summer!

Every gator I’ve ever seen has been WAY far away, but sometimes they do come into people’s yards here. The gators really do not like people though. I see way more articles about gator sightings than actual gator sightings in person…

5. Oh I can’t STAND it when people don’t follow track etiquette! It also bothers me when groups of people are walking toward me on the sidewalk and none of them sidestep to let me through. I either have to jump onto the road or yell at them with my forearms out! Ha ha! Nice week of training. I’m SO GLAD you’re all healed up.

The sad thing was, these kids were in high school. We have a team of very small elementary aged children that comes out most Wednesday nights and they have better manners and sportsmanship.

As a coach, if you’re going to let the adults use 2 lanes of the track (which isn’t much when you have a *nine lane* track), at least keep your kids in the other 7 lanes and keep those lanes clear. Even if no one is running in the lanes, kids shouldn’t leave blocks and spikes out on the track. You put the equipment away when you’re finished with it so that it doesn’t get lost, damaged, or hurt someone. When I volunteer coached back in Florence, our head coach would have *never* let this fly.

6. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Poor track (or any type of running) etiquette upsets me. Like, why can’t they see that you’re running there? One of the routes I run on has a narrow boardwalk and sometimes I’ll alert people several times that I’m coming up behind them on their left and they don’t budge over. Then again, sometimes those people are so plugged into their headphones that they don’t hear me… but that’s another complaint. Despite the kids, great job on your best track workout in a long time!

7. Another solid week!!! Thank you again for volunteering at these local races!!! And oh my goodness even when I enlarged the log photo it STILL looked like a gator!!!!
    Off subject but I discovered one of my friends from the animal rescue is a crazy coupon lady. We went to HT yesterday and I got several free items ( kids snacks, lotions, pain reliever, etc). I cut my typical grocery bill by over half!! And I also figured out the eVIC thing so I get the emails now!
    Anyways, glad you had a good week. Good luck at the big run this Wednesday!!

Haha, I am a crazy couponer. Well, not really but I do the super events. I scored some super cheap Honey Bunches of Oats, MIO, yogurt, and crackers today.

HT has a good sale in general right now. They have peanut butter for $1 (their brand) and also the Rockin Refuel for $1. Glad you can get the emails now and get the weekend freebie!!

I’m going to take a picture of the log on my run one day and post here, just to show how it looks like a gator. Thankfully it wasn’t a real one, but I did see a stick that suddenly moved (eek, snake) on my run Saturday!

8. MB Jackson says:

I always say, buy a man a great grill and you will not have to cook as much! That picture is freaky! I live in Florida and it dang sure looks like gators! That would freak me out on a run! Great job on all those miles too! Thanks for linking up!

That picture is a meme and I believe it is gators. I didn’t take that picture and that’s not what I saw on the side of the road.

I should take a picture of the log because it really does look like a gator when you are approaching it from far away, and it’s right by a swamp. Plus, every pond in the neighborhoods here has a sign that says gators may be present.

9. My hubby loooooves his grill too. And I love to eat so it works well. 😉 Nice week of workouts!! I strength train but don’t always log it. I’ve been running strides and modified ‘hard’ effort workouts just to stay fit. It’s kinda weird to go from 60 mpw to 40…on a good week. ha!! And every single runner needs to volunteer at least once. Its a ton of work. Gives one more appreciation for the events.

40 miles a week is still amazing! But I understand it has to be weird to go from training for a marathon to well, training for pregnancy. It took me a year to build up to 40 mpw from the mid-30s, and honestly, any time I log a week with a mileage starting with 4, it’s a good week.

Strides are great! Everyone is modifying now due to the heat anyway.

10. You get in such amazing mileage every day. Glad you have found groups you love to workout with.

Yeah, I want a solid summer of running before my Fall half marathons- and eventually to run a marathon, so mileage is kinda important.

We’re lucky to have a lot of running groups in Charleston. I wish we had a long run meetup of some sort, but it’s easy to turn the Sunday 8 miler into a long run by adding on some miles (especially since it starts at 8:30).

11. Congrats on a great week of workouts! I’m surprised they lock the tracks by you. Ours are unlocked and open to the public — though not many people know that, which is nice for me. 🙂 Track day tomorrow!

Most tracks here lock up. I think it’s due to vandalism, because tracks are quite expensive to maintain. We do have a few public ones though, and you can always do intervals and workouts on the roads if you’re lucky enough to live somewhere with a quiet enough stretch of road with little traffic. I love doing track though, especially in the heat because you have access to your water every 1/4 mile.

12. Elizabeth C. says:

Dodging kids, dodging geese. . . same thing! LOL. Glad you had a nice week of running and were productive at work. I actually can’t believe that tree is NOT a gator. It looks exactly like one and it would freak me out too.

Eh, geese and animals in general are kind, unless kids who have attitudes ;).

Those are actual gators in the meme. It’s a meme. I probably need to clarify that it’s a meme because everyone responding seems to think that’s my actual bike path?

Also no one runs here so we wouldn’t have a sign for runners on our bike path. No one bikes it either, it’s mostly for golf cart use!

13. Congrats on the high milage week, Amy!! Whoop whoop!! I seriously thought that tree was a gator. So creepy!!

The photo in the blog is a meme and those are actual gators (the sign in the photo is also obviously photo shopped).

I should take a picture of the tree and post it to see what people really think, I just don’t ever run with my phone to snap a pic.

14. What a busy week! You manage to fit so much exercise in!
    I wish I could find the time 🙂
    The new grill looks great! I love having BBQ food 😀
    I can’t imagine running in high humidity I struggle as soon as it gets a bit warm in England, I much prefer running in the spring/autumn!

Rachel | Coffee & Avocados

I work from home, so no commute. It helps big time with fitting the workouts in. I do have to drive places to run and drive to the gym, though.

We haven’t had too many really hot days here yet, the weather this week has been nice now that the rain stopped, but Mon-Wed were pretty rough with storms.