Weekly Rundown: May 22-28

You know you live in Charleston when your workouts are influenced more by Mother Nature than your goal races or training plan. By Tuesday, everyone had missed a run, ride, or class. Clay was stuck in Mt. Pleasant until 7 Tuesday night and couldn’t get home due to flooding and also wrecks on the bridge.

Thankfully, the weather was gorgeous (for May in Charleston) from Thursday on and made for some great runs!

Aside from that, my coworker and senior writer, who I worked with for almost 9 years, retired this week. She was one of the other remote employees at my company and a big contributor to my growth as a technical writer. I knew this was coming for a few months, but it was really sad to see her go and know that I won’t be able to go to her with my questions and other life chatter next week.

image

I was a little stressed out this week, so I ran more than usual to help with that- so much that I hit my second highest weekly mileage so far this year. The last time I ran this many miles in a week, I ended up injured the next week so hopefully that doesn’t happen this time!

Monday 30 min. strength + 7.4 miles
Tuesday 7.6 miles
Wednesday 8 miles (treadmill intervals) + 60 min. yoga
Thursday 7.2 miles
Friday No workout
Saturday 10.2 miles
Sunday 8 miles + 60 min. yoga
Total 48.4 miles

On Monday, I was excited to run the bridge with the group that afternoon. Before leaving, it was thundering out here and sprinkling rain, and we had thunderstorm watches. I hit Planet Fitness instead, where I ran 7.4 miles on the treadmill with a janky TV. It didn’t even storm, and the rain wasn’t hard at all. I hate when I move my workout indoors due to forecasted thunderstorms and the storms don’t happen.

I was determined to run outdoors on Tuesday. The humidity was 94%, and I had a little dry spot on my shirt when I finished. The pictures of dry spots on my clothing after a run won’t last much longer.

image

I tried out a new pair of shoes on my run, the Mizuno Wave Sky. Typically, I run in performance neutral shoes but as I increase my mileage (and run tough surfaces like the Cooper River Bridge), I was excited to try a premium cushioned shoe. The Wave Sky are definitely more plush than my other shoes but work well for easy days and recovery runs. Once I run in them more, I’ll review them in a future post.

image

Wednesday was another crazy weather day. I ended up treadmilling my usual track workout at lunch because of the chance of thunderstorms on Wednesday night, and because I wanted to go to yoga after missing Tuesday’s class. Yoga was so tough- it wasn’t advertised as a heated class but the studio was super warm and I was drenched in sweat. It was cooler outside than in the yoga studio, so I probably missed our last cool track workout until September or likely October.

Thursday was a gorgeous day. I was planning to rest, but with the beautiful weather, I switched my days around because it was 73 degrees and 50% humidity on my run. 50% humidity may as well be ZERO humidity. I wish I could bottle up that weather and save it for the dog days of July and August, because it certainly didn’t feel like a typical Charleston day in May.

Friday was a rest day, which means Rest Day Brags. Clay and I went to Bluerose Cafe and “recovered” from our workouts with a brownie sundae. Good stuff.

o

Saturday was cooler, so my planned 8 miler turned into a long run, then on Sunday, Emily and I ran the OnShore group and she ran some extra. After the group run, we made our obligatory post-run Starbucks trip. I had a free drink on my card, so I got a mocha frappucino light with extra espresso. It’s kinda weird to get frappes when you’re in your 30s, but when I have a freebie, I like to splurge on something I can’t make myself at home (I also got the largest size).

We also hit up the Piccolo Spoleto festival and checked out all the art in Marion Square. I can’t afford to purchase art, but it’s fun to walk around and see the different paintings. Lots of local artists were there, and Marion Square has a Sunday Farmer’s Market during the summer. It’s a fun way to spend a morning or afternoon downtown without necessarily spending a fortune.

o (1)

I hope everyone has a great Memorial Holiday and upcoming week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link and with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC.

This entry was posted in Downtown, Training Log, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Weekly Rundown: May 22-28

1. Coco says:

Wow, you are logging some solid miles most days! I max out at 4-5 on weekdays. Those Etch-A-Sketch drawings are amazing!

Thanks. I’m hoping to run 3 half marathons this Fall, so I want a solid base. I also lost a lot of endurance earlier this year with the 6 weeks off.

2. Great week of training. Hopefully you will not be sore next week like you were prior! I have worn a pair of Mizunos but I find the toe box to be too narrow for me so I have switched back to my Brooks Launch!

I love the Brooks Launch. If I were the type of runner who only had one pair of shoes (which face it, I will never be that runner), those would be it. They’re cushioned enough for a longer run but responsive enough for a 5K or 10K race.

3. Yup, I love Brooks Launch too and hey you know me, I’m all about building a solid base of mileage for those upcoming half marathons! It’s a tricky balance to be able to push our bodies just enough, just below the threshold before it breaks. I bet the last injury you had was the LAST injury you’ll have!

4. The weather this week was dicey here as well – very “spring” like with all the changes. I love Mizunos but never run in that variety – I’ll be interested to hear your review.

The Wave Sky is a brand new shoe. They came out a few weeks ago and will replace the Enigma. It’s my first pair of Mizuno shoes in a couple of years- I’ve worn the Wave inspire (first “real” running shoes), the Wave Precision (RIP! Discontinued!), Wave Rider (3 pairs), and Wave Hitogami. I’ve liked their shoes but moved toward Brooks and New Balance because the Wave Rider changed in model 17, and the Hitogami didn’t last very long.

So far I’m liking the Wave Sky.

5. kookyrunner says:

Great training this week and some really solid miles – congrats!

Those Mizuno sneakers look awesome. I usually run in the wave inspire sneakers but would definitely try out this model.

The Inspires are stability and these are neutral, but these are a good shoe (so are the inspires). Depending on how much you need stability, these might work for you too. It would be a good question to ask at a local running store. They’re $150 shoes so I would say definitely make sure they are right for you before purchasing.

6. Angela says:

You are clocking up those miles!! I decided to have a week or two off from running after the marathon but I really miss it especially as the weather has been gorgeous here!
    That brownie sundae looks sooooo good as do those Mizuno shoes!

You are doing the right thing by taking time off after a marathon, though! Get some serious #RestWeekBrags.

Side note: I think after a marathon is a good time for desserts and new shoes ;).

7. Melissa says:

Are great shoes! I love the color and the style of them. Hopefully you can get some better workouts in in the weather will cool down a little bit? Or at least the humidity haha, I am sure that is wishful thinking!

The weather will cool down… in September, if we are lucky- most likely October. But it’s all good because running in the hotter temperatures and humidity really makes your lungs stronger for the Fall.

8. Elizabeth C. says:

Oooh, I like those new shoes. I think it’s good to have a high-cushion shoes for the easy days. And great job with all your runs. You have been amazingly consistent since you returned to running. That Sundae looks really yummy!

9. Wendy says:

That etch-a-sketch display is incredible!

I’ve heard so many things about those shoes–all good! I’m not ready to ditch my Asics but I know where I’d go if I was…

I’m not an Asics wearer, but these remind me a bit of them. They definitely don’t feel like the traditional Mizuno ride (firm!).

The etch-a-sketch art was awesome. We mainly stopped by to see a friend (Tate) but walked around to check out all the art and it was really fun. Some of the concerts and events are quite pricey- but some aren’t- and walking around downtown and admiring the art is always free.

10. I’ve been finishing runs wearing drenched clothes too. It’s not fun 🙂 Great week. Love the shoes!

Today I put my drenched clothes into the dryer because I had a cleaning lady coming and she was cleaning the bathroom, so I didn’t want my wet sports bra and shorts hanging in there for her to see!

11. HoHo Runs says:

I love the color of the new Wave Sky shoes. I wear Inspires for stability and changed one time with almost crippling results. It’s good to see you running those miles again. My clothes are dripping when I return from my morning (highest humidity) runs. They leave a puddle where I hang them to dry. I still get a caramel Frappacino occasionally with no whip and an extra shot. Thanks for linking, Amy!

I don’t wear stability shoes- and actually wish a company would come up with an “anti stability” shoe because I have the exact opposite problem with my foot strike- but the Inspires are a great shoe. In fact, they were my first “real” running shoe back in 2010. I had 3 pairs before switching to the neutral shoes.

I can’t stand the wet, dripping clothes! If I drive to a run, I now change shirts (and sometimes shorts) before driving home because I don’t even want to wear the wet clothes for the car ride. I also changed before we went to Starbucks.

12. Christine says:

I switched to slightly cushier shoes (Brooks Ghosts) during my illness/issues. I find that I still wear them sometimes during the easier runs. Sometimes it’s nice to have that extra cushion. I have yet to go to the Piccolo Spoleto festival. One of these years I’ll get there. It looks like so much fun! Good job slogging through our soupy air!

I haven’t been to the Spoleto events either. I love the arts, but I feel like some of the events might be a little TOO cultured for me. It is definitely worth a walk through Marion Square to see the art.

13. Nice work on all those miles, Amy!! Rockin’ it! I can’t believe the heat (and just crazy weather) in Charleston!! Oh, and you totally have me craving a brownie sundae 🙂

Thanks- it really hasn’t gotten hot here yet. Mostly the storms were what threw everyone off last week. The weather has been rather cool for this time of year, even tonight was very nice for the 5K (I volunteered). I know it’s just going to get worse though!