Weekly Rundown: May 8-14

Happy Monday everyone!

I had a great week. After spending six weeks rebuilding my mileage from a peroneal tendonitis layoff, this was my third week back to training. I don’t have any goal races in mind and just want to survive the summer and complete a race ending in “-arathon” this year. Half marathons count.

The best part of injury comebacks is seeing your fitness improve from week to week. It’s like beginner’s gains all over again.

Monday 30 min. strength + 7.7 miles (bridge)
Tuesday 8 miles + 60 min. yoga
Wednesday 30 min. strength + 5.7 miles (track)
Thursday 6.2 miles
Friday No workout
Saturday 9 miles, including Run for Your Mother 5K/Omega 5K
Sunday 10 miles + 60 min. yoga
Total 46.7 miles

Monday’s run was a huge confidence booster for me. I met up with Steve, Stevie, Emilie, Dave, and one of Stevie’s friends to run the bridge. We ran from Downtown Charleston to Mt. Pleasant and back. I’ve run on the bridge a few times lately, and I ran the Cooper River Bridge Run, but Monday was my first time running the bridge out and back since November. Maybe this run helped me make peace with my string of injuries- who knows?

On Wednesday, we ran our usual track workout. I ran 5 x 800m in the outer lanes of the track. Since my peroneal tendonitis is in my left foot, I try to be careful with very sharp turns and keep the workouts in Lane 8 or 9. This adds a little distance, but I’m okay with that. It was 90 degrees but we had a big crowd.

image

I ran again Thursday morning, then volunteered at Race the Landing #2 that evening. I ran Race the Landing #1 but decided not to do the series because I want to run different races this year. I don’t want to run back-to-back races every Thursday night and Saturday morning, and I was planning to race on Saturday morning.

I volunteered by helping with the kids run and taking pictures. A lot of my friends ran so it was great to get pictures for them, open water bottles at the finish, and hand out medals. This race series is the best, and we even had an ice cream truck.

18403372_947025966043_6257720108203188595_n

Saturday morning, I did two 5Ks, both as workouts. First, I ran a small 5K race, the Run For Your Mother. It drizzled rain the whole time, and I finished in 23:07. During the race, a police officer directed me the wrong way, and I logged 3.26 miles. I ran a 7:06 pace, so I was on track for my first sub-22 5K post-injury. The organizer was very nice and apologized for the officer and extra distance, but it didn’t affect the race placing so it was okay.

Next up, I ran the Omega fun run. This was a very simple run and only $10 with the proceeds benefitting a boys camp. It poured rain, and I ran off the adrenaline from Run For Your Mother. The course was a loop, and according to my Garmin, my time was 21:50. Funny that I ran sub-22 in rain, after another 5K, in a fun run, and on top of a heavy training week.

To celebrate, Clay and I went out to Marina Variety Store and Restaurant for dinner. I had the Captain Holcombe’s Crunchy Flounder with sides of roasted root veggies and squash. Clay had the soft shell crab po boy sandwich. My dinner was amazing, but I’m not sure either of us are fans of soft shell crab. I should probably give up my Charleston card after saying that (I feel like gave up my Southern card long ago since I don’t drink sweet tea or eat barbeque and I prefer Dunkin over Krispy Kreme).

IMG_20170513_185958

The view at the Marina Variety Store Restaurant was also quite amazing. I love the restaurant and how the tourists haven’t discovered it. The view, food, and prices beat California Dreaming.

IMG_20170513_185127

Sunday, I ran with the OnShore Recreation crew for a long run. I ran the 8 mile loop with Jason and Allison, who was visiting Charleston to find a place to relocate for her internship at MUSC. We had a lot of fun showing her the sights of Charleston on the run and telling her about all the local races and group runs. The miles ticked by pretty fast!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link and with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC.

This entry was posted in Charleston Food, Race the Landing, Race Volunteering, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Weekly Rundown: May 8-14

1. wanderwolf says:

Congrats on the first sub-22 5k post-injury! Impressive that it was right after a different (long) one.
    The celebratory dinner looks great…but you’re right. Are you sure you’re southern? Krispy Kreme with the “hot” sign lit are the BEST.

I’m really not a donut fan at all! If I do eat them, there’s a local shop I prefer over Krispy Kreme or Dunkin- but I’d rather have ice cream or frozen yogurt.

2. Angela says:

Your strength is coming back so quickly! What a great week of training! That view is so pretty, I love eating in places with a great view.

We did too. Marina Variety has the best view for the best price. It’s reasonable and the food and service are good. They don’t attract a lot of tourists or charge high tourist premiums on the food. They also serve breakfast until 2 PM!

3. sarahdudek80 says:

What a great week. You are making such lovely progress. And that food looks so good! I’m a little unsure of soft shell crab too.

Thanks- yeah, I tasted Clay’s soft shell crab and I wasn’t a fan. It didn’t taste like crab or really any of the fish that I like. My flounder was delicious, and I made the right choice. I don’t think either of us will ever order Soft Shell Crab again.

4. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Congrats on your race – it looks like you’re recovering very well! I went on vacation in Charleston for my birthday a couple of years ago and it was one of my favorite trips! I still need to run the bridge though!

5. Congrats on hitting a sub 22 min 5k. That is awesome! You are very speedy!

6. You look so tiny in that picture between those two men! 🙂 You must get sick of people saying that to you–I’m sorry. Why is it okay for us to tell people when they look tiny but not okay if they look huge? Like, what if you were really big, fat and tall and you looked like a giant standing between two normal sized men? Would I ever say in the comments: Whoa you look so huge between those men! HA HA! NO!!!! Anyway. I’m a douche for focusing on your body and not on your talents and the fact that you killed last week’s workouts and runs. ATTA GIRL.

Haha, yeah Ryan and Joe are tall guys! I think I make everyone feel tall, though (I am 5’0″ but look even shorter around dudes, I don’t look super short like this around my female friends really).

I agree with you about being tiny, though. I’m OK with people calling me tiny because people do- it’s in the nickname (people call me tiny, tt, tiny terror, etc). What I can’t stand is when people ask me how much I weigh. I don’t know what possesses anyone to do this, but it’s always a stranger because friends know better, obviously. No one would ever just randomly ask an overweight person they just met how much they weigh, but if a person is very small it seems okay to inquire? Crazy huh!

7. hilaryruns says:

Daaang, double 5ks? I didn’t realize you’d done that! Nice job on the sub-22 (*both* of them!) and it really is so good to see your running ramp up. I’ll be interested to learn which half marathons are options for the fall and which one you ultimately decide on!

When I asked the officer where to turn, her response was “I don’t know, I guess” and I couldn’t see the leader to know any different. It stinks not to have an “official” sub-22, but I ran a good pace and didn’t massively positive split the race, so I can’t complain. I had a slight positive split (6 seconds) but then again, I did have to ask the officer, turn around, etc.

It’s not like sub-22 would be a PR (sub-21 might be), but hopefully I can make it official in a race at some point this summer.

As far as half marathons go, I’m signed up for two: Lexington and Kiawah. I deferred Lexington last year due to injury and signed up for Kiawah half when it was $40 last December. Most likely Kiawah will be the goal race.

8. Dare I say you are back?! Great week and the best part is being able to hear how confident you are now. That food looks YUMMY! Stinks about the misdirection but like you said, didn’t affect race placing. Two 5ks in one morning is pretty badass – especially with the second faster than the first!

Well… the second one was also shorter. Thanks police ;).

I don’t like to say “back” anymore. I said that after my first injury. I think our experiences and everything we go through sort of mold us into different types of runners. Even if I run the same times as last year (which I’m not, my times are still slower), I still won’t have the innocence that I had of being injury-free for two years…

• Totally true! BUT you seem much more confident than you did just a few weeks ago, which I think is great!

Yeah- things get a bit better each week. I am finally confident enough to the point to even think about goals (for the end of the summer, right now the main goal is to survive summer in SC…)

9. girl,that’s a sub 44 10k!! congrats on both races! I’m glad your speed and stamina are starting to return quickly after your injury—keep at it chica

Well, I did have a bit of a break in between the two… but I think I could easily run sub-44 in a 10K this Fall.

But first, Race for the Ark… 🙂

10. Elizabeth C. says:

I cannot even imagine running a track workout in that kind of heat. How do you keep hydrated and prevent heat exhaustion? Anyway, GREAT week. I love seeing you back in the swing of things.

Running in the heat is hard, but well… I live here and plan to run races this summer, so I have to do it sometime.

As far as staying hydrated goes, I try to drink all day long. I have two 20oz medal cups (the imitation yetis) that I keep full of water or enhanced water (nuun, etc) all day and sip on. And of course I bring water to track and if I need it, stop and drink.

Plus, I keep my expectations low and the workouts effort-based rather than time based. I know I won’t be running intervals in July at the same pace as I would run them in January.

11. HoHo Runs says:

Both 5ks are very impressive, Amy! You have my permission to stop worrying about that tendonitis issue. LOL. Sorry to hear about the officer mis-directing you. Thankfully, it didn’t affect your placement. I’ve had an officer stop me in a 5k race so that traffic could go through the intersection. Ummm…excuse me? 90 at track workout? UGH. I can’t wait to hear what ARATHON you choose. Thanks for linking!

Ha- I’m signed up for two half marathons this fall: Lexington SC and Kiawah Island. Most likely, I will shoot to PR Kiawah because it is flat.

As far as the tendonitis goes, I don’t want to say I’m “back” from injury. I feel like injuries, illnesses, and issues kind of change you. It’s another experience in our running lives- influences how you train and think, the physical and mental sides really!