Weekly Rundown: May 1-7

The last few weeks have been proof that you can run consistently and still feel bad about running. I find myself asking when my confidence will come back. Will it ever? Does anyone else wonder if the soreness and achiness is in your head?

I miss making plans and signing up for races. Not beer pressure, drunken, sign ups, although I’ve done that a time or two, but I miss saying “yeah, I’ll run this race” and going home and registering. I don’t have the guts to register early, I don’t write my weekly workouts in my planner on Sunday nights anymore, and every plan to run with a friend now has an asterisk beside it.

Yeah, I’ll be there **if I’m not injured**

I’ve only missed one planned run since I started again- an easy day I opted to Arc Trainer instead as a precaution. I just *feel* like an injury is bound to happen- and I’m tired of the feeling.

Monday 6.3 miles easy
Tuesday 7.75 miles (treadmill intervals) + 60 min. yoga
Wednesday 45 min. strength (lower body) + 5.2 miles (pub run)
Thursday 7.2 miles, including Race the Landing 5K (22:11)
Friday No workout
Saturday 8.2 miles
Sunday 10 miles + 60 min. BodyFlow
Total 44.6 miles

Despite the mental anguish, I had an awesome week of training. I kicked it off with an easy run on Monday, followed by some Tuesday treadmillage. I ran intervals of 4 minutes on, 1 minute off.

We normally do track workouts on Wednesday but cancelled because most people couldn’t make it due to work, travelling, or life circumstances. I’m not into doing a workout on Wednesday and a race on Thursday, so I opted for the Fleet Feet Summerville pub run.

The pub run was at Montreaux, and we got there early to run a few miles before and try out the Addaday rollers and CEP compression socks. I wish more group runs had foam rollers and recovery tools. I’ve run a few races that had an area for this and think it’s a great idea.

The pub run had a good crowd and gave out prizes. It was a nice change of pace (literally) because Melissa and I took it pretty easy.

18268657_1262392730525012_358959621499507909_n

image

Besides the pub run, I spontaneously decided to run Race the Landing on Thursday night. Most years, I sign up for the entire series as soon as it opens, but with the injuries in the past six months, I’m opting to be a race-day (or week of) registrant for awhile.

The series has five 5K races and it’s a lot of fun, but I want to spread some love to other races this year. I plan to volunteer at the other Race the Landing events, and who knows, maybe I will run one more this summer.

I’ll write more about Race the Landing this week, but I ran a 22:11- my fastest 5K post-injury, and I placed third overall female. It’s far from my best time on that course, but I finished without any new injuries and didn’t meet any paramedics, so I was pleased.

18199014_945241626873_8263087625979144186_n

I took Friday off completely. It was my first complete “zero day” since March (I did not work out on the day of the Myrtle Beach Marathon because I was busy pit-crewing for my friends). I had a busy day at work and finished up two projects, but spent the afternoon catching up on Netflix and eating like I ran a marathon even though I’m nowhere near running even a half marathon.

In the end, it’s better safe the sorry. I had runs planned for the weekend and didn’t want to increase my mileage TOO much this week since I did both a speed workout and a race.

IMG_20170505_161838

This weekend was gorgeous and probably our last cool weekend until September (if we’re lucky) or most likely October. I ran in Mt. Pleasant and up the Cooper River Bridge on Saturday and have never wanted to quit a run so much. The headwind was so strong that the one mile stretch up the bridge was 75 seconds slower than my average pace for the 8 miles. If there wasn’t a rail between the bridge and the water, my run would’ve turned into a dualthon because I’d blow into the Cooper River.

Saturday’s temperature was 57, so everyone on the bridge was dressed for the arctic tundra. Any time it dips below 70 here, people in Charleston wear clothes they have no business owning- like running tights. A walker was wearing a hoodie that said “Winners believe in themselves, even when no one else does”. It was the perfect quote at the perfect time and I kept that phrase on my mind for the rest of the run. It’s tough runs like this that make us stronger, physically and mentally.

18221577_1301083959959645_1196488896328416612_n

Sunday’s long run was beautiful- 61 degrees and 72% humidity. That’s the kind of training weather you want to bottle up for year round. I ran with the Hampton Park group and logged my second 10 miler post-injury. It was much easier and more enjoyable than last Sunday’s hot run. I know we have plenty of hot runs coming over the next few months, but it’ll be worth it to log faster times this Fall.

After the run, Emily and I went to Harris Teeter and got our super double coupon deals. Needless to say, I’m pretty stocked up on K-cups and MIO now, and I only spent about $13 on the haul.

18275121_945928610153_4754469409633789336_n

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link and with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC.

This entry was posted in Race the Landing, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Weekly Rundown: May 1-7

1. Liz says:

I feel like with every injury I’ve had, I’ve stayed paranoid well past when they’ve healed. I tore the ligaments in my thumb at the end of 2012, and it wasn’t until this past year that I would do overhead squats since it always put pressure right on that area. I hurt my hip in 2014, and that STILL bothers me. After two injuries that took MONTHS to heal (my hip took over a year before I could squat again- I should have seen a doctor for that one), I am way more cautious. I definitely have a different approach to working out, because I think more about the longevity of what I’m able to do, rather than being more extreme now. But I think I just learned to accept a different mindset. It’s not about times or weights anymore- it’s just about being active long term, and I can’t do that if I keep getting hurt. Good job at Race the Landing! At least you’re getting back into races, even if it’s not quite the same as it was before! And this weekend was PERFECT running weather! It was beautiful out! I wish we had a few more weeks of this weather, but the weather just said it was supposed to be 93 on Wednesday. I didn’t see the rest of the weather for the week though.

It’s supposed to be in the 90s most afternoons this week! I think this was the last cool weekend we will have here. I’m really glad I’m not running the Thursday night race this week because of the heat.

Injuries are so weird. I had a stress fracture and those are tricky but when they heal, they heal. Tendonitis just kind of lingers for awhile. I don’t have any pain and can run with no problems, but every so often I feel it a little when I get up in the mornings. I think I sleep with my toes pointed and doubt that is helping.

2. kookyrunner says:

Looks like you had a great week or training
    I also love shopping with coupons!

3. I love that hoodie!!! Okay, so my ex husband Jason blew out his ACL several years ago during a soccer game and had to have surgery. Once he got checked again and cleared for activity, the surgeon told him that he needed to go to psychotherapy first before he started playing soccer again because although physically his injury is completely healed and ready to go, MENTALLY, most people are not ready and when we go into a tackle or into a workout when we’re mentally hesitating or not confident, then we will re-injure ourselves. Did he go to psychotherapy? Nope. And guess what happened. The first soccer game he played in since his surgery, he broke the tibia on the same leg as his ACL surgery. He hasn’t stepped onto the soccer pitch since.

I loved seeing that saying on the hoodie. I have a shirt from Race 13.1 (it’s actually the shirt I’m wearing in the bottom picture), and the back of it says “You Can. You will.” It’s encouraging when I put it on, and maybe it will encourage someone else out there too, who knows? I wonder if clothing makers think of those things.

My doc didn’t tell me to go to psychotherapy. Honestly, the doc didn’t give me much advice at all. I do get sports massages sometimes and I always go to the same people, and I feel like chatting with them when I’m on the table is almost like the same thing… verbal diarrhea, so to speak.

4. Christine says:

We’ve had some really beautiful weather here lately. I’m enjoying it while I can, which is really only a a few days. And yes, I spent a good two years feeling like garbage about running and running like garbage because of sickness. And right before that I was pregnant and while I didn’t feel like garbage then, I was still frustrated and couldn’t wait to get back and push my training again. And then I couldn’t. It’s so frustrating.

I’m still having mental anguish over it and I completely lack any kind of confidence in my running abilities. When you spend two years running and getting slower, that happens. I haven’t pulled the trigger on any races yet either because I know my head isn’t in the game at the moment.

You’ll get your confidence back (and so will I). It will just take some time.

Yeah, I’m finally feeling like garbage but I know that the heat is here too. You adjust your expectations, but summers are always hard because even if you’re putting in the work, your race times won’t show it because who can run really fast when it’s in the 90s, you know?

The past 6 months have made me grateful for all my runs even if they’re not my best times or runs. I’m glad I can get out there. Every run is bringing me closer to my goals, not that I really have any besides completing a half marathon this year.

5. sarahdudek80 says:

I love how people in the south bundle up when it hits 50! I saw some long down jackets during a run on the beach in Florida. It made me chuckle. I totally understand the feelings you are dealing with. One time when my husband was injured he said something that stuck with me. “When you are injured, you start to feel like it will never get better. You know it will, but it just mentally drains you.” The mental effects of injuries tend to last longer sometimes than the physical. You are doing amazingly well. It will all fall back together!

Sometimes I think people own these clothes and just want to wear them, so when it’s a slightly cool day they’re excited to finally wear them. I also advise anyone moving here to just go ahead and sell their winter clothes to save space in the moving trucks!

6. I hope you are able to shake a bit of the worry you have. I think it probably just has to happen through time, right? Such a solid week!

7. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Great week of training! I wish races set up areas with recovery tools as well. I hope you are able to shake that worry – sometimes the caution of reinjury can really linger but that doesn’t mean it will happen!

One race I did, Race 13.1, had a gym come out and set up yoga mats and foam rollers for after the race. It was awesome! Our local running stores, Fleet Feet and Blue Sky Endurance, do have baskets of recovery tools out to use after group runs. It’s a good idea although I usually wind up leaving the store with a lighter wallet because I buy them after I try them ;).

8. I enjoyed your Charleston tidbit that people were running tights when it is under 70. Made me giggle. I completely understand how you feel about confidence. I find myself asking that after every run.

I was fortunate to only have to wear pants on one run this winter. Granted I spent a lot of this winter injured. Even that one run, I think I could have worn shorts except I wanted some sort of compression on my knee since it was recovering… really no need for tights.

9. I have a race shirt (that actually fits well!) that says “You are mighty” on the back. I wear it whenever I feel like I need an extra boost of confidence on a run. I’ve been feeling kind of doubtful lately so I’ll keep the quote from that hoodie in my mind too.

You are a smart and strong runner! I hope you are training and racing with confidence again soon.

10. Elizabeth C. says:

Do you feel like an injury is about to happen because something hurts, or are you just mentally afraid of it? It sounds like you had a really strong week and if nothing is bugging you, why not sign up for a goal race? Something you’ve learned is that you are able to race “for fun” so even if you aren’t in your best shape you can still enjoy it!

I think I’m just mentally afraid of it, honestly. In 2017, I have spent more time either injured or rebuilding from an injury than I have actually training. I do have some races on my radar, but hesitate to call anything a goal race with the impending heat and humidity.

11. I’m totally one of those that puts on hoodies when it’s “cold” LOL

I feel ya on the injury paranoia. I didn’t get bad when I came back last year, but now, when it’s not even a full blown injury, I’m super worried about it becoming something worse. I think it has something to do with my BQ attempt and the worry I already have about that, lol!

A 22 something is fantastic for an easing-back-into-it race!! Kinda jealous 😉

Oh, I always wear hoodies and warm stuff when I’m not running or outside- since it’s so hot here, buildings and businesses turn the AC up pretty high so it can be chilly.

Yeah, I think with a BQ attempt coming up, I’d be nervous about training and injuries too!

12. HoHo Runs says:

One day you’ll realize you haven’t thought about that injury in a while and that IT IS OVER switch will click on in your head. Those tendons are tricky business but I’m confident you’ll get there. I’m very impressed with your mileage despite your injury reservations! Congrats on the third place finish st the 5k! Thanks for linking, Amy!

Thank you- yeah, I really long for the day when I don’t think about it anymore. For the most part, the physical issue of the injury does not bother me as long as I am keeping up with the prehab/rehab and using that cream on it, icing occasionally. It’s not causing me to miss runs, at least. But the mental healing is going to take some time.

13. I hear ya on the desire to register early for races. That’s how I used to roll now! Whether it’s injuries, babies or spontaneous family things going on, it’s so hard to plan THAT far out in the future. In a perfect world, we could all early bird register and toe the line healthy, too!

You are certainly getting back at it and ran a very nice 5k time! Very smart to be easing into things the way you have and I love that you have such a big running group. P.S. All those grocery goodies for $13??!? We need a Harris Teeter over here!

Harris Teeter is great! I either shop there or Publix. The BOGOs and coupons are great.

Most races, the early pricing and the day-of aren’t too different, fortunately. I guess a big race like a half or a full marathon, or the bridge run, those have incremental increases… but your local 5K, it might go up $5 but that’s it. I’d almost rather pay more for the flexibility of bowing out if I had to, ya know?

14. I’m totally jealous of your kcup stash! I think I’ve only been to Harris Teeter once, but I totally loved it!

15. Sarah says:

Okay, so can I just say I LOVE the picture of you with all the mobility tools… you look so thrilled 😉