Weekly Rundown: April 17-23

Happy Monday everyone! After the Cooper River Bridge Run, the Savannah Women’s Half Marathon and 5K, and Easter, I was ready for a relaxing week and weekend.

April isn’t quite over, but my goal for the month has been to run easy miles over workouts or races. Since November, ITBS and peroneal tendonitis have caused me to lose some of the innocence I had when I was injury-free for two years. I’m now hyper-aware of every niggle, ache, or twinge that I used to train through without any second thoughts.

Hopefully soon, my body- and heart- will be ready to take the chance of training and racing again. Until then, I’m rebuilding and keeping the faith.

Monday 5.5 miles
Tuesday 7.3 miles + 60 min. yoga
Wednesday 60 min. BodyPump + 5.3 miles (track)
Thursday 5.2 miles + 45 min. BodyPump
Friday 60 min. Arc Trainer
Saturday 8.2 miles
Sunday 7.1 miles + 60 min. yoga
Total 38.7 miles

Monday’s run was an easy Cooper River Bridge run with Steve and Emilie. We ran from downtown to the top of the bridge then back down, rather than running the whole thing. It was my first time on the bridge since the race, so it was nice to take it easy- or as easy as running the bridge is- and enjoy a run with friends.

On Tuesday, I ran around my neighborhood that morning then went to yoga that night. I missed yoga last weekend due to Easter holidays (classes were cancelled for Easter, which is totally understandable) and hated to take two weeks off. It feels good to stretch out, especially as I’m feeling the effects of running each day.

Wednesday, I went to BodyPump that morning, then did a track workout that evening.

Since my peroneal tendon injury was on the left foot, I ran my entire workout in the outer lanes to avoid sharp turns at fast (for me) speeds. I ran 3 x 1200m, which was about .86 miles for each interval in the outer lanes, then recovered with a 200m (half a lap) jog between each.

image

It rained before our workout, so the inner lanes of the track were slick and the humidity was insane. It felt like 1000% humidity, but even that feels better than an injury.

Thursday was another easy run and more cross training. My mileage isn’t high, but my cross training game has been on point. I even went to the Purple Prison (Planet Fitness) by choice on Friday and arc trainer-ed. I was tired of running my neighborhood, and Planet Fitness was a change of scenery.

On Saturday, I ran the Cooper River Bridge again, but started in Mt. Pleasant (the steeper side) and ran to the top and back down. At 8 AM, it was already 75 degrees and humid, plus the uphill climb on the bridge had an intense headwind. I don’t normally post training paces, but my pace for the 1 mile climb up the bridge was a 9:32. My overall pace for 8 miles was 8:22, so you can do the math and see how bad the winds were.

I concluded the week with 7 miles at the Be the Light for Jimi run at Charles Towne Landing. It was a fundraiser for a local musician who is battling cancer. There were no awards or times- but everyone left with a full heart and dedicated a run to Jimi. Supporting each other is what our sport is about.

18034309_10213290947127364_5022150359375274730_n

Emily and I got some solid mileage in, then refueled with orange slices, coffee, and Cinnabon. Good stuff! I headed to yoga that afternoon to stretch out, strengthen my body, and reflect on the week. I hope everyone has a great week!

18034343_10105150749897837_7330501232584173907_n

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link and with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC.

This entry was posted in Injury, Race the Landing, Summerville Running, Training Log, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Weekly Rundown: April 17-23

1. Great week! I think taking a cautious approach to workouts following a string of injuries is a smart move.

Also: I feel you on missing yoga classes. With a busy end of the semester and a change in class offerings I haven’t been in a couple weeks and I can just tell that I my muscles are tight/stiff. I really need to make time for a class ASAP!

I prioritize yoga and cross training over running, honestly. I can run anytime but I can’t do yoga or BodyPump at any time, so I have to plan my schedule around the classes. It’s hard because my gym rarely offers BodyPump anymore. And yeah, missing classes on Easter Sunday is understandable, I wouldn’t expect the instructors to teach on a holiday… although my gym left it on the schedule ALL WEEK so it was hard to plan for :(.

• That is what I need to do too. Prioritize yoga because I know I’ll still manage to squeeze in a run. What a smart way to think about it. Duh, lol.

No lie, when I write out my training on Sunday nights, I schedule the classes and let the runs fall where they fall (except Wednesday night is obviously scheduled since that’s a track workout).

• Do you only plan about a week in advance then? I usually write up 2-3 months at a time, but the thought of being on a strict schedule from now until my marathon (January) sounds miserable. So I’m not quite sure what I’m going to do all summer…

Since I don’t have any races on the calendar and am coming back from injury, I only plan one week in advance. I had a few months planned out last Fall, pre-injury. I honestly doubt I plan more than 2 weeks out in advance anymore… at least not for a long time. We only have 5Ks around here anyway until at least September/October, so it’s not like I need to be hitting a certain long run distance.

2. Ohhhh really smart about using the far lanes to avoid stressing your foot. You’re so wise.

I try… unfortunately, you can be smart and try to do everything right and still get injured :(. I was extra careful the last time and it still didn’t turn out great. I’m just hoping for no more DNS in 2017 and maybe more than 5 weeks of actual training. We’ll see!

3. Angela says:

I’m the same since ITB issues, I think I even convince myself that there is a pain/niggle when there isn’t! You’re doing great and being sensible since being injured!

Injuries definitely have a psychosomatic component.

When I returned to running 5 weeks ago (can’t believe it’s been so long), I didn’t until I ran on the treadmill in the PT’s office and she told me it was okay. Maybe I could have run before, and I still had some pain that first week, but it was almost like I needed permission to get back out there.

There’s also a difference in an injury and the soreness that naturally comes from training. If you’re training, you won’t feel 100% because that’s the nature of the beast. Soreness happens. After an injury, it’s hard to know those boundaries like you did before.

4. Hahaha, the Purple Prison. That makes me laugh. Injuries suck, end of story!

They do, but I do go to the Purple Prison occasionally when I’m uninjured… mostly to run on their treadmills.

As you can see from the picture at Sunday’s run, I certainly don’t need the tanning beds at the Purple Prison. Being able to run (outside!) again has been good for my tan.

5. What a good week, Amy. I would have not thought to use the outer lanes to limit the pressure on your foot – clever! Nice to read about the 7 mile for Jimi – good for the soul.

It was a great run for Jimi. I think I will blog a recap of it, even though it wasn’t a race. It was a positive and moving experience to see the running community come together for good.

The outer lanes of our track aren’t quite as beat up, and it works well for longer intervals. I do all my speedwork by feel and don’t target specific paces anyway, but even if I did, that’s what GPS watches are for.

6. Another really solid week – and I’m sure you were happy to have the business of the races and Easter behind you.

Definitely- I didn’t race Easter weekend, and we didn’t really celebrate the holiday (we’re not particularly religious), but I volunteered at a Kid’s tri and had a lot going on. This week’s another busy one!

7. sarahdudek80 says:

Once a runner is plagued with injuries, they start to notice EVERY niggle. I have a friend who is a PT and he told me he dreads us runners because we tend to get paranoid. I love the Arc Trainer and think it is wonderful cross training for runners. One of the smoothest machines around!

The arc trainer gets my heart rate up more than any other cardio activity besides running. Plus the incline and resistance, it’s a great way to cross train when injured OR NOT. Love that machine.

8. Liz says:

I haven’t been reading blogs much lately since I was finishing up a paper, but I did see a picture of you after running so I was wanting to get over here and see how the running had been going! I’m so glad you’re able to run again! I was about to say that there have been some beautiful days lately, but now we’re in the midst of this gloomy weather, although I kind of like it. I still haven’t tried the Arc trainer. It still looks too complicated from afar, haha. But I am happy just walking my inclines anyway at the gym. I always feel like people running the Ravenel Bridge (I still call it that, is it the Charleston thing to call it the Cooper River Bridge?) are hardcore because it always seems SO windy when I drive over it. Every time I drive by the Cinnabon just down the road (the one attached to the gas station), I ALWAYS think about getting one. I haven’t yet, but now that you mentioned Cinnabon, I really want to go get one!

Oh, the Cinnabon! I’ve been in that gas station a few times to go to the bathroom (conveniently on the bike path) and the smell permeates the entire station. Cinnabons are one of those things that the smell is amazing to me but the actual dessert itself is a little disappointing. In fact, they were SOOOO sweet I couldn’t even eat it. It tasted like diabetes… ;).

As for the bridge, if you run it out and back… you’re bound to have a headwind on one of the uphills, right? It really isn’t as tough of a run or walk as you think it will be, though.

9. Michelle says:

You are so freaking tan, I’m so jealous! You’re build up has been going great, I think it’s time that you trust those legs for workouts now. I know it’s hard though, I’m pretty paranoid about getting injured again too. I miss the days from last year when I was running so confident and feeling great. I don’t even remember having niggles a year ago. I wish there was just some sort of machine we could step in and it could be like “You need to ____________ in order to make this pain go away.” or tell us the perfect shoes or that we need to foam roll a certain muscle or whatever the heck it is that is about to make us feel some pain hahaha.

I wasn’t this tan until I was able to run outside again. I’m also an afternoon runner and the sun is out, I think that helps. Your tan will get there soon though the way the heat has been.

The sad thing with injuries is, there are never easy answers. You can see 4 practitioners and get 4 different answers as to what contributed. I got orthotics at The Foot Store- both Carolyn and my podiatrist said I needed them. Then my PT was like, don’t run with this. I do run with it but don’t wear it otherwise.

The other sad thing is seeing runners make admittedly dumb choices and not get hurt, when you’re trying to do the right things yet getting hurt. I’ve heard people bragging about running marathons or ultras with basically no long runs, things like that, yet I have to DNS a half marathon (and ran the last one with only one long run of 12 miles).

• Michelle says:

I hope I can get as tan as you. Although lately I’ve been running early morning or late evening, I guess I need to get out there for my long runs during the mid-day sun.

Injuries are never an easy answer. I wish they were so bad. When I had the IT band/ Tendonitis issues going on I saw the GP, PT, and Ortho and they all had a slew of recommendations and diagnosis. I just sort of mixed what all of them said and tried to follow each one of their instructions.

I have a friend who literally only runs once a year and its a half marathon. He does cycle a lot but he doesn’t run or train at all. He got into MCM and he did one 13 mile run so far as a training run and hasn’t run again for like 3 weeks. He’ll totally go into that marathon without training at all and manage to get away uninjured.

I sit here every night over analyzing what I’m going to do for mileage this week, how I’m going to strength train/yoga/ cross train/ MYRTL/ hip strengthening etc. I’m constantly freaking out about every little niggle. I’d like to just have one healthy training cycle. I feel like last year I hit 29 years old and just broke lol I’M NOT OLD YET BODY!

10. Awesome week! Your base seems to be coming back really quickly. Almost 40 miles is impressive (post injury or not) and you are definitely smart to keep up the strength training and the yoga.

I really like yoga and strength training! I can tell a big difference. The strength training just gives my body a better shape, my arms aren’t as skinny and gangly and have a little muscle now. Plus yoga has huge physical and mental benefits. Both have become part of my *training* not just *cross training* ;).

11. laurenweiner says:

You will get back to normal in no time, as long as you continue to be smart about your training. I feel you on the yoga. I feel it when I miss it!

12. Elizabeth C. says:

Your mileage is really starting to climb and it’s great to see. And doesn’t having an injury put bad weather in perspective? It’s like – who cares how hot and humid it is– at least you can run!

13. Christine says:

It looks like your rebuild is going well. It’s too bad it’s just as the heat of summer is hitting. Ha! That’s frustrating, but it’s also a good way to keep it reigned in a bit, too. The humidity doesn’t let you go as fast as you would in cooler temps. And PRs are hopefully waiting in the fall!

Yeah, it’s all good because I’m in no hurry to race and set PRs right now. I’m glad I get to train at all regardless of temperature. Yesterday was beautiful and I had a great run on the trail here in Florence, so we still have a few more cooler days left!

14. HoHo Runs says:

In my world, that still impressive mileage. You’re being very smart to build back slowly and easily. There is plenty of time to work on speed and train for races. I have no doubt you’ll be back where you want to be very soon. I haven’t had a Cinnabon in so long. That sounds delicious. Thanks for linking, Amy!