Weekly Rundown: April 10-16

Happy Marathon Monday! I have a few friends running Boston today, so I’ll be geeking out on the computer while I work, tracking their progress and wishing them the best as they tackle the journey from Hopkinton to Boston.

I have a *long* way to go, but I hope to someday race a marathon, qualify (it will probably take several marathons and training cycles), and run Boston. With how the past 6 months have been, at this point I just want to complete a race ending in “-arathon” this year.

I had a busy week of life, and I ran a few miles too. I have ZERO races on the calendar, and I like it that way. It’s nice to rebuild my mileage without any pressure to be ready to run a certain distance or pace on a specific date. Since I’m not training, I can run as long or as little as I want each day, within reason of course. I can also shift my schedule around to attend group runs and volunteer.

Monday 5.6 miles + 30 min. Arc Trainer
Tuesday 6.5 miles
Wednesday 60 min. BodyPump + 5.1 miles including 8 x 400m.
Thursday 3.3 miles
Friday 6.1 miles
Saturday 4.1 miles
Sunday 8 miles
Total 38.9 miles

Monday’s run was an easy sightseeing run around downtown Charleston with Steve, Richie, Stevie, Emilie, and one of Stevie’s friends. I’ve been running with them for almost four years now and love our sightseeing runs. Downtown Charleston is a beautiful place, and we always hit some fun landmarks on these runs. Plus, it’s a great way to shake out the legs after a Saturday race.

On Wednesday, I lifted then did a track workout that afternoon. It was my first track workout in TWO MONTHS, and I felt very out of shape. Still, I’ll take feeling out of shape over feeling pain from an injury. We had our usual crew back so it was fun to run with friends, several of whom are working hard to come back from injuries and get off the #TeamJanky roster.

17862326_10155198588878185_6118949217908055158_n

On Thursday, I participated in the group run for MJ at Blue Sky Endurance in Mt. Pleasant. MJ is the daughter of my friend and training partner, Brent Munsell. MJ has a rare condition called AHC (Alternating Hemiplegia of Childhood). Donations were welcome and Blue Sky Endurance donated a portion of sales on Thursday to AHC research. You can’t beat running for a good cause and supporting friends, the weather was perfect, and we had a large crowd at the run.

Best of all, the event exceeded the fundraising goals by several hundred dollars.

17951711_418148758545716_5916138561078388607_n

I was off Friday, so I took a field trip to run on the Greenway and tried a new bakery downtown after my run. I’m thinking of dedicating some runs as destination runs and trying a new coffee shop or restaurant on each one- seems like a good way to go through my list of places to try, run some new routes, and enjoy a treat (relatively) guilt-free.

On Saturday, I volunteered at the inaugural Kiawah Kids Triathlon. I’ve volunteered for tons of road races, but this was my first time volunteering for a triathlon. The triathlon sold out with 250 kids, and we had a big crowd of volunteers from Summerville Tri Club.

The triathlon was open to kids ages 3-14, so we had everything from tykes in floaties and training wheels to preteen Junior Olympic hopefuls with tri bikes and tri suits. All of the kids seemed nice and aside from a few tears (inevitable for this many kids), everyone had a great attitude and good sportsmanship. The kids got medals, snacks, and everyone finished as a triathlete.

kkt

On Sunday, I ran with the Hampton Park group, and it was my longest run since February (pre Peroneal Tendonitis). Missing runs because of injuries is hard, but you also miss seeing training partners and friends, and I feel like that’s even harder. I ran at a comfortable pace and enjoyed the conversation and a beautiful day, even if it was a bit warm. I didn’t really look at my watch and focused on getting the run done, even if it was shorter and slower than my long runs used to be. With all the injuries, just running is a victory sometimes.

After running, we all went over to a friend’s house for breakfast and drinks. It was great to be back with everyone and celebrate Easter.

IMG_20170416_110532

I hope everyone had a great week and long weekend, and best wishes for the week ahead!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link and with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC.

This entry was posted in Blue Sky Endurance, Summerville Running, Training Log and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Weekly Rundown: April 10-16

1. It is always fun to try new bakeries or restaurants after runs. I always feel less guilty about splurging on treats if I do it after a run.

2. Yay for pain-free running and volunteering and races and Boston!!! WOOHOO!!!

Yep, I am fangirling everyone at Boston. Maybe someday, but I can’t even make it through training for a HALF MARATHON right now, much less running a marathon and BQing. It’s going to be a very long term goal for me to ever go to Boston.

3. Great week. Love seeing you back to your daily runs and building back smartly. I too, hope to run Boston some day. I’m hoping I can qualify when I’m 40 (in 5.5 years) – that’s my long term marathon goal!

I love that you set a long-term goal to qualify for it. You have come SOOOO far since I started following you. I remember you trying to run sub-2 for a half for the first time and now you’ve done it quite a few times.

I’m trying to build back safely and be smart about it. I’m also not anxious to race and think that helps.

4. Christine says:

Glad that you are finally back on the road. It’s a great feeling to get back out there even if you’re slower and less in shape than before. Your muscles will remember things quickly, though!

I hope so. Right now the focus is on building a stronger base for summer training, so that I can run some faster races this Fall, but I still did a track workout this week. It’s hard not to do them since I want to go and be with everyone.

5. Glad you had a week of pain free running. I like your idea of visiting a new bakery or coffee shop after a run. There is a new turkish cafe (with turkish bagels and tea) in Georgetown that I would love to try and should plan out a route that ends there.

I’ve never had Turkish food, and that sounds amazing. I wish Charleston had more ethnic foods. We have some good Chinese places and Asian fusion restaurants, but that’s about it- aside from Southern food.

6. sarahdudek80 says:

It looks like you are starting to get more workouts and mileage in. I am so happy for you. Don’t sweat the pace or feeling like you aren’t in the same shape. The miles will start to flow and it will all come back sooner than you think. I LOVE the idea of runs dedicated to trying new running routes and places to have coffee/eat treats. So fun!

Thank you Sarah! Yeah, it is coming back a bit. I was honestly surprised at how well the 5K went last Saturday on no workouts. I’m doing the Wednesday track workouts, since I set them up for a group, but mostly think April will be about base building. Honestly… the whole summer probably will be. Six weeks off is a pretty big setback, unfortunately.

7. Angela says:

It’s great that you are building back up and you are doing it sensibly too! I’m in awe of anyone who can BQ, I’m still trying to get a sub -2 Half, haha!
    What a great way to try new coffee shops I think a treat at the end would motivate me!
    We were just saying on Saturday at the running group how we will all miss each other after the marathon (it’s a marathon training group) I think we will still meet up to run!

If you guys continue to meet and run, you’ll continue to improve. I was chatting with a friend last night and talking about how many years I’ve been running and how many people I ran with who just suddenly stopped or weren’t consistent. I am not the fastest runner out there, but I really think the only reason why I’ve improved is because I’ve kept it up for so long. Many people just give up once a race is over (bucket listers) or after the first year or so when the beginner gains are gone. If you keep running for a long time, you will see progress. Lifetime mileage matters…

• Angela says:

I know after I did 2 halfs 2 years ago I didn’t run regularly and training has been so tough! I’m definitely keeping it going after the marathon this time!

8. I’m so glad you are getting back in the swing of things!!! Looks like a solid week of regaining your base and speed. I need to start running at Hampton on Sundays again!!

It was good. I ran with Howie and two other guys. We just took it easy, averaged 9 min/mile. Small crowd with holidays- I think a lot of people headed to the beach.

9. mommyrunfaster says:

I know what you mean about feeling so out of shape after time off, but nearly 40 miles is still a really solid week! You are ore fit than you give yourself credit for. 🙂

Yeah, I’m not hitting the paces I hope for (in the one workout I’ve done, which happened to be extremely hot, so I guess I should give myself a break…)

10. laurenweiner says:

Glad you are getting back into the swing of things – injury free! Volunteering at the kids triathlon sounds like a ton of fun!

11. Elizabeth C. says:

That’s fantastic weekly mileage coming off of your injury! I’m so happy for you and I think it’s great that you are focusing on getting back into the swing of things and not putting any races on the calendar. It sounds like there are races almost every weekend, so you could just decide to race on a whim if you wanted. Congrats on getting back to the track too.

Yeah, we have tons of races here and I’m not in a rush to do any of them. I’ve run almost every race in Charleston now, and the ones I haven’t run are not at this time of year anyway. When I feel like jumping in one, I’ll just sign up day-of and not have the pressure.

12. HoHo Runs says:

I’m so glad you are back to running regularly and even made it to your Wednesday track workout. There as so many different parts to a triathlon. It would be easy for a child to get overwhelmed — I do! But, it does sound like a fun event to volunteer at. I’m not doing nearly as many races as I once did since my return from injury. They will still be there when I feel ready. Thanks for linking, Amy!

13. Yay for a solid week of running and for training without the pressure of any races. I know your injury was tough and I definitely agree that missing running is hard, but missing the social aspect of it is worse. I like your plan of “destination runs” to try out new restaurants and running routes in the area! We run at the same places and go to the same coffee place/bakery every weekend. Haha. I think we need to add some variety!

14. That sounds like a great idea to run and find new places. Isn’t the only time it’s guilt-free after a run? It is for me anyway, lol.
    Great to see you back out and racking up mileage and very smart to not have a certain race day you have to be ready for!