Weekly Rundown: April 3-9

“There is magic in misery. Just ask any runner.” – Dean Karnazes

Welcome to another week of post-injury base building- because you know it’s all about that base.

My mileage is low, and I’m not doing any workouts yet. Still, any running beats being sidelined with injuries- and I have a LOT to be thankful for and proud of this week.

Monday 5.2 miles
Tuesday 60 min. BodyPump
Wednesday 7.2 miles
Thursday 6.2 miles + 60 min. BodyPump
Friday 3.2 miles
Saturday 6.7 miles including Publix Savannah Women’s 5K (22:28)
Sunday 60 min. yoga + 3.6 miles
Total 32.1 miles

My weekday runs this week weren’t too exciting. Monday’s run was a slugfest because I had lingering fatigue from the Cooper River Bridge Run, so on Tuesday, I opted to take the day off and cross train instead. Even the Purple Prison (Planet Fitness) would give me a better effort than slogging through a run.

IMG_20170210_120214_thumb.jpg

On Wednesday, I was planning to run the Newington subdivision, but severe thunderstorm watches forced me to stay home. I ran 7.2 miles from the house once I figured out I wasn’t driving to Newington to run, so it was my longest post-injury run. The storms weren’t that bad and Melissa and Larry had a great run at Newington. I hated missing out on running with them, but it’s a 30 minute drive for me. I had to put safety first and get a run in while I could. After taking Tuesday off, I didn’t want to risk another day of not running.

This weekend, Clay and I travelled to Savannah, where I ran the Publix Savannah Women’s Half Marathon 5K. I was a race ambassador and originally had big goals for the half marathon. After six weeks off running and only three weeks of easy mileage, the days of setting race goals seem like an eternity ago.

IMG_20170408_064935

I had a successful 5K race, and I was the first finisher… in the beer tent. My race time wasn’t anything to write home about, but at least I could be first at something, right? This will probably be the only time I can ever claim to receive that first post-race drink, and even though six ladies finished ahead of me, I clearly had my priorities in order.

A 5K run with a medal and mimosa in hand by 8 AM is clearly a WIN.

On Sunday morning, Clay and I went to a yoga class in Ellis Square Park, which was also hosted by the Publix Savannah Women’s Half Marathon. The class was a great way to recover and stretch after Saturday’s race and walking all over Savannah that afternoon. The weather was gorgeous all weekend, and we had a great getaway. I’ll be blogging about it more this week.

IMG_20170409_101820_663

Cheers to longer and faster runs, new friends, and smiles in the beer tent!

IMG_20170408_085044_598

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link and with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC.

This entry was posted in Publix Savannah Women's Half Marathon and 5K, Training Log, Yoga and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Weekly Rundown: April 3-9

1. Hollie says:

It’s great to see you running healthy again Amy. I think you are on the right track and going to have a great summer of training.

2. Angela says:

You will be back to where you were (even better) in no time!!!

3. What a great race day, Amy! Big congrats! I hope your week goes well!

4. mmmmmm, beeeer….. 😀 Great job!

5. First woman to the drink tent is my kinda race accomplishment!

6. Your Instagram post made me smile! First finisher to get a mimosa is an accomplishment – and I still have yet to try one of those. They sure sound good though! I am SO excited for you to be back running again and, in my opinion, you are back up to solid mileage. Keep it up – here’s to a great year of injury-free racing!

Mimosas are a really good drink if you’re normally not a beer fan (I’m not). It’s basically orange juice mixed with champagne so it’s light and refreshing after a run. You can certainly get drunk off mimosas, don’t get me wrong, but you can have one or two and be OK even if you’re kind of a lightweight (I know from experience). Even if you can’t try one right now *wink wink*, they are definitely my favorite post-race drink!

7. OMG I so love a good mimosa after a race or heck even during it, yep had them on the course for a few races.
    Great to see you back running and you really jumped right in with 32 miles too! WTG!

8. Michelle says:

I love me a good mimosa! Sometimes us girls will do a “mimosa bar” for football Sundays and get all sorts of fruit, peach juice, and pomegranate juice to mix in with the champagne and OJ. So good. This race looked like lots of fun. I was scared to sign up with it being so close to the Bridge Run and dealing with injuries lately. It’s definitely on my radar for next year though. I’m glad you finished with a good time and uninjured. Looks like you and the hubby had a great weekend together and that’s the best part of destination races.

The race is the same day as the Bridge Run next year, so it’s going to be tough for me to choose. I really want to run this half marathon course, though. Then again, I never know what my goals will be in the Spring of 2018, and there’s plenty of time to decide. I will say this year’s Bridge Run was the best yet… great bands, the medal, all the hype leading up to it, etc.

I’m just no longer signing up for races at all, haha. That’s one way to guarantee I don’t have any more $100 t-shirts.

9. Yeah, I think your injury time is going to make you an even faster and stronger runner just because you utilized the cross-training so damn much!

I’m really sad that I can’t fit as much BodyPump into my schedule this week. My gym only offers it a few times a week, and two of those times are when I usually have runs and races (Thursday evening and Saturday morning).

I’m scared my baby muscles will go away!

10. Elizabeth C. says:

This looks like a really solid week. It’s great you were able to run the 5K, and get that medal + beer. Plus, it meant you could spectate the half. I love watching races! Given all the time off you took, I think you should be extremely proud of that 5K time and I look forward to reading the full race report.

I really liked spectating the half! I saw my friend Joy win it and got a picture for her. Also I did my cooldown on part of the half course with some of those runners and I was talking to them and cheering for them. They were having so much fun out there :).