Weekly Rundown: March 27 – April 2

This week, I continued my recovery from peroneal tendonitis and added a few more miles.

Coming back from an injury is hard, and I won’t sugarcoat it. I’m grateful to be running, but building a mileage base is not easy. Running doesn’t always feel great- especially when you’ve spent more weeks of 2017 being injured than you have training. I averaged more miles per week in January than I have for the past two months (46 miles in February, 37 miles in March). It’s quite humbling.

I have a long road to to where I was before peroneal tendonitis, and further to get where I want to be. Thankfully, I’m closer than I was last week.

On Monday, I got a sports massage on my ankle/lower leg. After texting Frances that morning, she was able to squeeze me in that afternoon. The next day, my entire lower left leg was sore! I wasn’t in pain, but it felt weird. The sports massage was probably the most intense I’ve ever had, so I took Tuesday off to have a full 48 hours to recover from the massage.

On Wednesday, a group of us met to run the Newington Plantation neighborhood in Summerville. It’s the hilliest neighborhood in town, although it wouldn’t qualify as hilly anywhere outside of Charleston. Wednesday’s run was hard. I looked at my watch at the end and saw the average pace for 4 miles was a minute slower than what I ran at the Charleston Half Marathon in January, yet I was breathing super hard and felt trashed. I’ve lost a lot of fitness and have a long way to go.

Even tough runs are better shared with friends and training partners.

image

image

On Saturday, I ran the Cooper River Bridge Run. This was my longest run in almost two months, and my only goals were to make it to the finish with no NEW injuries and to have fun. I encouraged the runners I knew when I ran by them or with them, and I thanked the National Guard, police officers, and volunteers. I even took a chocolate chip cookie from a spectator at Mile 4; I’d never do that in a race, but I guess there’s a first time for everything.

A number of my friends placed or set new PRs and I’m very proud of them. Shawanna, Emily, and I took a picture with one of the overall females too- she is blazing fast (and tiny like me).

17523643_10105061358903107_7463047557679266291_n

Next up for me is the Publix Savannah Women’s Half Marathon 5K, which is Saturday. I’m excited to visit Savannah for the first time, run the 5K, and do the free yoga class on Sunday morning. I’m a race ambassador and have a discount to share, so if you are in the Savannah area and want to run, register at this link to save $15.

Congratulations to everyone who ran or raced this weekend, and I hope we all have a great week!

Monday 4.1 miles + sports massage
Tuesday 60 min. yoga
Wednesday 4.3 miles
Thursday 5.1 miles + 60 min. BodyPump
Friday 3.1 miles
Saturday Cooper River Bridge Run 10K (48:24)
Sunday 3.2 miles + 60 min. yoga
Total 26.1 miles

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link and with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC.

This entry was posted in Injury, Peroneal Tendonitis, Publix Savannah Women's Half Marathon and 5K, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Weekly Rundown: March 27 – April 2

1. Angela says:

You’ll get back to where you were, I’m sure of it!

2. Stephanie Kliethermes says:

Hang in there, Amy! I know your fitness will come back quicker than you think possible. I love that you grabbed a chocolate chip cookie! I grabbed a popsicle during my first Boston because it was so hot and I was simply out to enjoy the ride. It definitely reconnects you with the joy of running. All the best as you continue to heal!

3. Theresa says:

Don’t forget to factor in the heat from Wednesday. It was a warm evening. 🙂 Glad you see you back again!

It was crazy hot on Wednesday! Mike and Howie really pushed the rest of us hard on those hills. I love running in Newington, and I think when we get back to the track, I may still drive out to Newington occasionally on other days to run it. I could see it being a nice morning run this summer…

4. Your progress is really coming along. I feel like every week you are getting closer and closer to where you used to be. Enjoy Savannah – I’m surprised you’ve never been. I love that city!

Thanks, this is only week two back to running, but I’m glad that nothing has gotten worse. I hope to increase my mileage this week, assuming the peroneal tendonitis does not flare up or I don’t sustain a new injury (seriously, I take nothing for granted these days).

5. So glad you’re doing better but I can tell how guarded you are. Which, I don’t blame you for at all. Injuries are freaky! Here’s to a full recovery and higher mileage this week! You’re doing amazing!

I’m being careful because I know my foot is not 100%. Anything I have to ice and put heat packs on, and rub an NSAID cream on, is definitely something to watch. Plus, I didn’t run for 6 weeks, so now is not the time to take chances with it. My feet and legs are not used to that pounding quite yet, even if my aerobic system is okay with it.

6. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Glad you’re still progressing and getting better little by little! I visited Charleston once and loved it, I never got a chance to run over the bridge – looks like a great race!

It was a great race- and I will have a review later this week… or either next week…. whenever I get a chance to write it.

If you ever come back to Charleston, you can run the pedestrian path across the bridge for free at any time. It makes for a great training run.

7. Sarah says:

Haven’t checked in on your blog in a bit… so sorry to hear you’re dealing with peroneal tendonitis (been there, done that, it’s a B****). BUT I’m glad to hear you’re moving in the right direction. Injuries are tough, both physically and mentally, and like you mentioned in this post it’s really humbling. I know you’ve done BodyPump for a while… what’s your favorite song/artist? When I used to attend Pump classes (only do Combat these days) I loved everything Paffendorf. I’m also a LesMills music tracklist junkie 😉

8. Elizabeth C. says:

That’s awesome you are getting back out there and you were able to participate in the race. How is everything feeling? I know the previous week things were still a little achey so I am hoping they are getting better and better. Coming from someone who did nothing but lay in bed for about 3 months, your fitness will come back faster than expected, but it might not be linear. So one day you may just find that you’ve massively gotten more fit overnight! Anyway, congrats on hitting the road again!

That’s a really good insight. I’ll say that last week was definitely better than the week before. But, I am still taking it VERY easy coming back. I was out 6 weeks and my body isn’t used to the pounding of running. I felt a little run down after yesterday’s 5 miler so I opted to elliptical today.

Even a 10K that is 5 minutes slower than your original goal beats a DNS, though :).

9. Angela says:

I am so happy you were able to run this race, and that you are starting to recover!!

Thanks- me too! It was my worst race time in a long time but it was so much fun. I was thankful to be out there and the Bridge Run atmosphere is so incredible. It’s something everyone should experience at least once.

10. Just keep the good work, Amy! You are very inspirational!

11. sarahdudek80 says:

I had the same form of tendinitis before and I know it can be so discouraging. You have a great attitude about all of this though. It is hard to believe, but while it takes awhile at first to get back, you will soon find that it starts to come back much faster. Just be patient with yourself and your body. You are getting there!

I am, and am being patient that I just can’t run every single day right now. I am cross training on the days I can’t run to stay sane and keep my fitness up. I figure I was out for 6 weeks and it will probably take about that long to get back, too.

12. Christine says:

I’m glad you’re able to get back out on the road. It is definitely hard coming back. I’m really struggling right now to rebuild after the months I spent sick and barely ran any miles at all. It’s almost worse than coming back from pregnancy. Savannah is so fun! I love it there. I hope you have a great time and a great race, even if you’re still on the mend.

Yeah, it is definitely tough. I am hoping to build my mileage a little more this week as well, but the weather looks so rough today (so I might be sentenced back to the purple prison).

Still, the purple prison treadmill beats injuries!

13. HoHo Runs says:

I think your fitness will return quickly. It’s not like you laid on the couch all day eating ice cream and chips during your injury. (You didn’t, right? LOL.) I’m glad you were able to participate in the Cooper River Bridge run and have fun with your friends. I wish I could have done the Savannah race but the date didn’t work out. Maybe next year! Thanks for linking, Amy!

14. Injuries stink 😦 I was out for 6 weeks last year and did my best to keep myself busy but nothing equates to running (for me, lol). Hope you have fun Saturday–Savannah is gorgeous and I wish I could run a 5k there!! 🙂

I’m with you- nothing substitutes for running for keeping up race fitness. But, I feel like cross training has helped me return to running faster and with fewer issues. I still have a long way to go, though.