Weekly Rundown: March 20-26

This week’s mantra: I have a long way to get back to where I was pre-injury, and even further to get where I want to be- but I’m closer than I was yesterday.

Notice the title change?

Last week, I saw a physical therapist for my peroneal tendonitis, and she told me to test out the ankle. The test runs certainly didn’t feel wonderful, but they didn’t make things worse. My friend who recovered from tendonitis (and is a rockstar ultra runner) suggested that sometimes the body needs the stress of impact to begin rebuilding strength in the bones, tendons, and ligaments. I may have to log some uncomfortable miles at first, but it’ll make me thankful for pain-free running again.

16195177_1247354745340198_608492759364533366_n_thumb.png

By the end of the week, I was running a bit longer. Some runs were still uncomfortable, but after six weeks off running, you keep the expectations low. You’re asking your body to do something it’s not used to, and you give yourself grace.

Besides that, I’ve tried to be positive. That’s hard sometimes, as this sport has many more high moments than low moments. It’s important to keep a good outlook, but at the same time, you don’t have to sugarcoat it. I’ve shed my share of tears over this injury as well- and that’s perfectly okay.

Monday 60 min. Arc Trainer + 1.2 mile run
Tuesday 60 min. Elliptical + 2.5 mile run
Wednesday 3.1 mile run
Thursday 60 min. BodyPump
Friday 5.1 miles + 60 min. yoga
Saturday 60 min. BodyPump + 3.1 miles
Sunday 5.1 miles

Along with cross training and the easy runs, I did PT stretches every day. Most of these are core/glute exercises, but I also do some foot/ankle exercises.

I also spent a lot of quality time in the “Purple Prison” of Planet Fitness. Honestly, I like the gym- I just hate being there on weekend mornings because those are for running, not cross training.

2017-03-23_15-50-30

I didn’t have much confidence going into Tuesday’s test run, so I wore the cotton t-shirt I had on all day. I ended up running 2.5 miles, and that shirt got hot very quickly since it was 83 degrees. Where is Spring, Charleston?

image

In non-running life, I had an unintentionally busy weekend. On Sunday, I watched NCAA basketball and the Gamecocks making it to the Final Four. I’m glad I watched, even though the game made me miss my usual yoga class. I may be a bandwagon basketball-er, but I’m not a bandwagon Gamecock fan. Every day is a great day to be a Gamecock! Throwback time- this was a great day back in 2008.

Copy-of-Picture-022.jpg

Next week’s focus? Base building and less junk food. Easter is the worst time of the year to be injured because all the candy is so good! Thankfully it’s out of the house now- only because I ate it all. When your diet consists of Cadbury eggs and Starburst Jelly Beans, your injury weight gain certainly isn’t all muscle. I plan to keep base building for the next few weeks and savor the simple joys of running again.

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out here. I’m also linking up with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC. You can check those posts out here.

This entry was posted in Injury, Peroneal Tendonitis, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Weekly Rundown: March 20-26

1. Okay, here is the random question I ask when I see it… why did you end a lot of your runs on .1 or .2 ?? Hehe. I’m glad you got a lot of running in! Do you gain a lot of weight when you do workouts other than running? Because you have been cross training A LOT. (Like, duration.) Is it because you can’t do super high intensity?

Honestly, the weight gain is nutrition. The food in this city is delicious, and it’s easy to eat anything when you don’t have a workout on the calendar. Typically with training, I did workouts in the afternoon so I had to eat a bit healthier during the day. Also, some foods bothered my tummy on a run but I can eat just about anything and hop on an elliptical or lift.

Thing is, I’m 31 and no matter how hard I’m working out (or not), I don’t have a college kid’s metabolism. I’m not trying to “diet”, but I’m going to cut out the junk food to feel better.

As far as the .1 or .2… I do it because if I stop my run right on 3.0, Strava will log it as 2.9! There’s a cul-de-sac by my house so I just run that for the extra .1.

2. YAHOO! I am so happy to open this up and read that you’re logging some mileage! I’m so happy for you and I wish you all the best with keeping injury-free.

Thanks, it’s not completely healed by any means, and my body is lagging with returning to running, but I’m glad to do something! I am getting a sports massage this week to hopefully work out the rest of the kinks in my peroneal tendon. Still doing PT exercises as well.

3. So happy to see those miles on your training log!!!!!

4. yay! your BACK!!!! so happy that you have been able to get some miles in this week!

5. Kaitlyn says:

So glad you are back to running! And back up to 5 miles already, no less!

I have a follow up ultrasound tomorrow morning, so hopefully I’ll be back out there (slowly) with you soon 🙂

Good luck with the follow up and I hope you can get back to running soon. You have such a supportive group to train with and I know you’re antsy to get back and start working toward your goals. You’ve overcome so many setbacks and you WILL overcome this one!

6. thisrunnersrecipes says:

I am so happy for you that you are back to running!!! Hooray!! Cadbury eggs are Kryptonite. I have to force myself to wait until Easter day to have them, because otherwise I’d eat them way too much when they are in stores for so long before Easter!

Thanks, yeah they are very tempting and the sales don’t help. I plan to stock up after Easter because I heard they freeze well. My favorites are the new cookies and cream ones from Target.

7. Yes! So happy to see you are back!

8. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Glad to hear that you were able to run a few miles! Best wishes as you continue to heal, slow and steady!

9. I really like your mantra! I am really glad to see some miles back in your weekly rundown! I’m sorry some were painful. It makes sense what your friend said about putting some stress on the ankle to make it stronger. I think that’s how weight lifting works. You put your muscles under stress and then when you rest after, they become stronger! Something like that 🙂

10. Michelle says:

I saw some of your runs on Strava and it made me smile. I think any runner who has been injured knows that feeling of those first runs back and how freeing it feels. 🙂

It does, but it still doesn’t feel 100% comfortable! I really miss being able to run with ZERO pain and discomfort, but hopefully soon. Even the short runs are nice because I’m outside. I still have to supplement with a lot of cross training though.

11. HoHo Runs says:

I’m so glad to hear you are running again! I am also running on an uncomfortable foot as I’ve been told it takes months (possibly a year) for the bone to completely remodel. And yes, I’ve also heard it needs stress to help it rebuild. So I keep plugging along. At least not all days are uncomfortable. Hang in there! You’ve handled your injury with so much grace! I know keeping a good attitude is not the easiest thing to do. Thanks for linking, Amy!

12. Elizabeth C. says:

Alright, I have to disagree with Easter having the best candy. Peeps!? Ew. Jelly Beans?! No. The best candy is definitely Christmas! Anyway, I’m so happy to see that you are running again. I saw your posts on Strava and Instagram and Facebook (stalker much?). I really like your attitude and the fact that you are respecting the process of making a comeback. Comebacks can be really fun because the progress happens much faster than typical week-to-week running progress. I hope things continue to improve for the ankle.

Haha, following on Facebook and Instagram isn’t stalking. I mean, we are Facebook friends (and typically my friends- IRL and online- know things before I have a chance to blog em anyway).

I don’t like peeps. Just don’t. I like the cadbury mini eggs and the Starburst jelly beans the best. I can’t think of any Christmas-exclusive candies I really like more than cadbury mini eggs (and I don’t eat the cream eggs, eww!).

13. Tracy says:

Yay for getting some miles in! That place of being not 100% but not getting worse is a weird, hard place to be. Hope you’re able to keep logging the miles and getting closer and closer to enjoying pain-free runs again!

14. Weekly RUNdown!!! Yay!! Keep it up lady. Always being diligent to keep up with PT exercises. I try to do those 1-2x a week as “prehab”. Good luck with the less junk…that’s my struggle. I could eat all.the.raisenettes…Love seeing your smiling face! 🙂