Chronicles of Cross Training: March 13-19

This was a weird week. At the beginning of the week, I found myself debating if I should test out my ankle and go for a short run. I won’t run (or do any exercise) in pain. In Myrtle Beach, I even told my training partners that I’d give myself at least three days after stopping pain medicine before I attempted to run.

injured_runners_manifesto

On Monday, I cross trained as usual that morning, thinking I could try a test run that afternoon. It rained that afternoon so I easily talked myself out of it.

I cross trained Tuesday morning and planned to test my ankle out on a run that afternoon. Bored at work, I googled “How do you know when you’re ready to run again?” or something like that, and an article suggested hopping on the injured foot. I hopped on my left foot and my right foot, and it felt different on the left foot. I talked myself out of it again.

At this point, I wasn’t sure if I was physically injured or dealing with the psychosomatic fearful effects of reinjury and returning to running. I’ve dealt with anxiety since I was a child, but the anxiety from “testing it out” has been much worse than say, pre-race anxiety.

You know you’re an anxious, injured runner when you have borderline high blood pressure but your resting heart rate is in the 40s.

I went to Blue Sky Endurance to buy something and made the staff feel like armchair sports psychologists because I spilled my guts. With their advice, I booked an appointment at at Premier Physical Therapy. I went to physical therapy on Friday for an evaluation, and the staff spent almost an hour and a half talking to me and evaluating my ankle. I left with a long list of stretching exercises that I’ve completed this weekend. We’ll see how this goes.

cct_thumb.jpg

Monday 60 min. Arc Trainer + ankle/heel exercises
Tuesday 60 min. Elliptical + ankle/heel exercises
Wednesday 60 min. Arc Trainer + Volunteering at Catch the Leprechaun
Thursday 60 min. Elliptical + 60 min. BodyPump
Friday 60 min. Arc Trainer + PT stretches + 1 mile run at PT
Saturday 60 min. BodyPump + PT stretches
Sunday 90 min. Elliptical + 60 min. yoga + PT stretches

In real girl life, my stress level was high this week. Clay left for Albuquerque Wednesday morning and returned late Sunday night. We have busy schedules and he worked 3rd shift while going to college the first year of our marriage, so we’re used to not seeing each other at times- but I missed him a LOT! No weekend date and no hearing his SUV pull into the garage at 7:30 in the evenings when he gets home made for a lonely few days.

To bring some happiness to this post, here’s a picture of us from five years ago when Clay was always tired from nightshift.

Aside from that, we’ve had some pretty crazy changes at work. I’m getting my products ready for release and also learning a new project. I’ve been a technical writer at my company for 8.5 years and think I’ve written for every product we sell. It seems like yesterday when I graduated college, but May 2017 will be 10 years in the field of technical writing. Crazy, huh?

Since Clay was gone this weekend, I went to the Charleston Beer Runners Bridge and Brunch run on Saturday. Each month CBR does a group run over the bridge and tries a different restaurant near Shem Creek. I ended up doing “BodyPump and Brunch”, which isn’t the same but at least I got some exercise in.

17358996_534294480101940_800739910218529667_o

We went to Vickery’s, where the food was good and the view was gorgeous. The service was outstanding and the staff kept us well taken care of, even though we had such a big party. I had the blackened mahi sandwich and black beans and rice on the side. It was a bit pricier than what I’m used to for lunch, but the food was good and I can’t complain about a lunch with friends.

IMG_20170318_134618

The Charleston Beer Runners brunch brightened my day. I don’t think of myself as a runner right now, but I’m thankful for good friends, beautiful views, cold drinks, and tasty brunches.

Cheers to recovery!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out here. I’m also linking up with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC. You can check those posts out here.

This entry was posted in Charleston Beer Runners, Injury, Mt Pleasant, Peroneal Tendonitis, Technical Writing, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Chronicles of Cross Training: March 13-19

1. I am guessing the arc trainer does not hurt your foot? I miss Paul a lot when he is gone too! Even though we spend a lot of time doing independent stuff at home, it’s still nice to know he’s here!

The Arc Trainer doesn’t hurt my foot at all. Since my injury is toward the heel and my heels stay down the whole time on the machine, it does not bother it. The elliptical doesn’t either.

I’m excited to Arc Trainer today because I read a good blog post about changing the settings to mimic running, so I’m going to decrease the incline and increase resistance today and see how that feels.

2. Your cross-training blows me away. You’re an animal! I’m sad that you had a stressful week. It’s a good sign that you and Clay want to be together, though! My parents are so miserable that they love it when one person has to go away. LOL

Ha. I’ve been called an animal, a hero, and hardcore because of my cross training routine. I am none of those things.

I am an injured runner who loves food.

3. wanderwolf says:

Love the manifest.o. Good to stick to it.

I am, although #1 is odd because I have zero idea what “mistake” led to my injury, besides registering for a race before the expo (I will be a race day registrant forever now). I know people who participate in ultra marathons on fewer MPW than me and get hurt, or people who make really stupid training decisions or increase mileage suddenly- and they do not get hurt.

I really tried to do everything smart and by the book. I’ll do the same as I recover from this.

But sometimes, shit happens.

• wanderwolf says:

Sometimes, some people are more unlucky than others. It’s unfair and lame, but you have to make it work for you. I admire how you’re dealing with it and hope you can have a good test run soon!

4. Sorry you are still stuck on the cross training train 😦

It’s okay. I’m kinda used to it now.

I’ve affectionately named Planet Fitness the “purple prison”. All the equipment is purple and it’s like running jail.

5. Good for you for sticking it out with the cross training–here’s hoping you’ll be back out on the roads super soon!!

6. thisrunnersrecipes says:

I hope the PT exercises pay off! I can’t imagine 90 minutes on the elliptical…you are doing so well in keeping your endurance up with cross-training!

Yeah, hopefully my endurance won’t be too shot. I still want to race some this summer, and of course I love eating Charleston food (a little too much) so I needed to cross train as much as possible.

7. liz says:

I’m glad you’re being smart, Amy! I also think it’s wise of you to alternate the ARC trainer with the elliptical machine. I know how hard it is when you’re already stressed and your partner isn’t around. After a frustrating day at the gym, I just want to make dinner, watch HGTV, and play Jenga. You really do have to keep looking at this period of “break down” as an opportunity to “build up.” I can tell you, from my experience, that I have been willing to try so many new things, in terms of exercise and nutrition, that I was too tired or superstitious or set in my ways to try before. And if all of those things can heal me when I’m hurt, just think of how much stronger they’ll continue to make me when I’m well. Summer’s going to be good to us. Hang in there.

This injury really has forced me out of my box. Nutrition wise, I’m still eating like I’m training for a marathon. Of course, even when I was training, I wasn’t training for a marathon- just eating the part ;). I am lifting weights again and it’s nice to feel a bit firmer in my upper body because I hadn’t lifted any upper body in months!

8. Thank you again for volunteering at chase the leprechaun!!! I know it’s hard watching friends and training partners toe the line while you’re cheering on the sidelines but we really appreciate your support!! The beer runners sound like a cool bunch of people. They need to make periodic trips to the Ville!!
    Anyways, I do hope this new PT plan gets you healed up and ready to run the roads again. Keep your chin up, I’m just a text away if you need anything!!! Sending virtual hugs!!!

9. Cheers to recovery, indeed lady! So cool that you’ve been with the same company for 10 years. That is awesome 🙂

I haven’t been with the company for 10 years (yet). I started in 2008, so it’s been almost 9. My first year of work was at a different company that was horrible, but in the same general field (technical writing). Funny thing is, I never wanted to be a tech writer when I was in college. It was my least favorite writing class. I wanted to go into journalism.

I’m *So* thankful that did not work out ;).

10. I hear ya – I miss my husband a lot when he gone for long periods of time, too! I get used to the sound of him driving in each night, it’s comforting to have someone else home. Isn’t it crazy to look back to the different seasons of marriage? Our first year was a crazy one, too, and I would never want to go back to that craziness!

I’m glad you got to enjoy some running fellowship! And, hey, you are still a runner even if you don’t feel like one. Actually, a wise runner, to not be pushing it as you recover.

It really is comforting to hear the garage door go up and the music blasting from Clay’s SUV. You don’t realize how much you miss things like that in the evenings until you don’t have them for a few days.

11. Elizabeth C. says:

Sorry I am super late to reply to this post. Good for you for not even testing the ankle. Better to just wait until you know you are 100% healed instead of aggravating it. You mentioned that you don’t think of yourself as a runner right now. How do you even define runner? if someone in your running club was injured, I think you would still consider them to be a runner. Anyway, keep on keepin’ on – you will get back out there and you will be thankful you allowed yourself proper recovery time.

Am I still a runner? Yes. Do I think of myself as a runner when I’m injured? No, not always.

I ran for years and didn’t think of myself as a runner because it wasn’t a part of my identity. I just ran and did Zumba a few times a week to combat the stress of work.

Our minds play games on us when we’re injured. Right now I feel like a glorified gym rat because that’s where I’m spending most of my time. I did run a few times this week, although I still have a long way to go and it wasn’t 100% comfortable. Of course, if I always needed to feel in my comfort zone on a run, I wouldn’t race.

I think this may be one of those injuries that takes a while to completely heal and even if I can run, I may feel it occasionally. Sometimes it’s similar if someone breaks a bone as well. I will run through discomfort, but not PAIN.

12. Congrats on almost 10 years in the technical writing field! I’m sorry you had a bit of a stressful week between healing, work, and Clay being away. Here’s to a less stressful week!