Weekly Rundown: February 13-19

With no runs or workouts, I can’t call this a weekly rundown anymore, but I’m not clever enough to think of a new name.

At this point, my last run was February 9, and my dreams of running the Myrtle Beach Half Marathon are now just that… dreams. After two years of injury free running, I’ve had one half marathon PR, two injuries, and only five solid weeks of training in the last three months. Running has been a roller coaster, and like most roller coasters, the drops are steep.

Forget Run Less Run Faster, Higdon, Hansons, or Pfitz… my new training plan is “Cross train til ya go insane”.

Monday 30 min. Arc Trainer + 30 min stationary bike + ITBS Rehab Routine
Tuesday 60 min. Arc Trainer
Wednesday 60 min. yoga + ITBS Rehab Routine + ankle/heel PT
Thursday 60 min. Arc Trainer + 60 min. BodyPump + ankle/heel PT
Friday 60 min. stationary bike + 30 min. foam rolling class + ankle/heel PT
Saturday 60 min. BodyPump + 60 min. yoga
Sunday 90 min. Arc Trainer + 60 min. BodyFlow + ankle/heel PT

I won’t bore you with cross training discussion. It’s cross training. It’s incredibly lonely, and it’s what injured runners do so they don’t lose too much fitness.

IMG_20170210_120214_thumb.jpg

On Tuesday, I went to a podiatrist for my ankle. If you ever have any injuries involving your feet or ankles, I highly recommend a podiatrist over an orthopedist. No one wants to go to any doctor, but when you’re injured, it’s inevitable. My feet were x-rayed from several different angles, and the podiatrist examined them as well as my shoes. I told him the models of shoes I wore, that I was fitted in neutral shoes in 2014 and again in 2016.

After the X-rays and measuring my arches, I learned that my left arch is higher than my right arch- which explains why my knee injury and my ankle injury were both on the left side. My arches are high even for high arches, and the left foot underpronates even more than the right foot. The podiatrist fitted me for custom orthotics in the office and I left with them in my Brooks. My shoes feel much heavier now and I’m sure I’ll notice when I try to run again.

I also left with pain medication, a topical cream, and Flector pads to place on my ankle for pain relief. The podiatrist was super nice and used to run, so he was understanding and wants to get me back out there as soon as possible. He liked hearing about my half marathons.

o (2)

I left with answers and medicine, but most of all, I left incredibly grateful for my health. I was the youngest person in the waiting room and the only person without a walking boot, cane, or walker. I was healthy enough to walk from my car to the doctor’s office, walk around the pharmacy while my prescription was being filled, walk up and down the stairs of my home, and exercise. Many patients in the podiatrist office could not do these things.

I don’t ever want to take running for granted, but most of all, I don’t want to take my health and quality of life for granted.

As for now, I’ll keep cross training, soaking my ankle, taking medicine, wearing insoles, and following doctor’s orders until the pain subsides. I don’t have any goal races this year, just enjoying the process of running and training- and keeping the dream alive.

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out here. I’m also linking up with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC. You can check those posts out here.

This entry was posted in Injury, Myrtle Beach Marathon, Peroneal Tendonitis, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Weekly Rundown: February 13-19

1. It is so important to be thankful for what we CAN do! As sad as I get when I can’t do what I want when I want to, I inevitably end up feeling bad about it at some point because there are so many people worse off than me!

Agreed. I’m glad I’m not in a walking boot or crutches, and I can walk around stores, the house, and do things in the gym. To be honest my injury isn’t affecting my daily life too badly, and I am grateful for that.

2. Hollie says:

Thinking of you Amy and I hope you’re able to figure everything out. You’ll feel the orthodicts and it definetely takes some getting used too but hopefully they work out well for you.

I agree about seeing a podriatrist. They’ve always helped me with my foot issues.

Thanks Hollie. I hope the orthotics will help. I’m not sure what’s up with one arch being higher than the other, except maybe my right arch has fallen a little from running and the left one just didn’t? It’s weird.

The podiatrist was rather helpful, and I didn’t have to wait too long, so that was a plus.

3. Your outlook is so wonderful – being grateful for your health is no small thing. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you and your podiatrist sounds great!

4. Awww…shiiiiiit! But man, do you ever have a positive attitude. You’re golden, Amy! I’m glad you found someone you trust who is looking after your feet. It really helps to have someone who is also a runner, eh? They just “get” us more than other professionals do. I hope this passes quickly and that these orthotics are the answer to solving your feet problems! Hang in there!

Yeah, he’s an older guy but has run the bridge run several times and seems to know what he’s doing but also cares and wants to get me back out there. I think he understands how hard it is mentally to not run when you’re so used to it!

5. Liz says:

I never even thought about a podiatrist with my foot. The guy I used for my stress fracture is some huge sports medicine ortho guy who had all these magazines signed with the athletes he treated on the covers. I had no idea who he was, but I guess he must be an okay guy? I guess if I have problems out here though, maybe a podiatrist would be the way to go! I always reminded myself when I was injured that at least I’m still able to get around. It’s also why I changed a lot of my goals with fitness a long time ago. I realized I couldn’t maintain my level of fitness without risking injury, so my priorities totally changed. I don’t want to be some huge athlete- I just want to be healthy and be able to get around when I’m 90. So if I need to lay off the weights now to prevent injury, well, I guess I’ll do that! I hope the orthotics help and get everything healing up. I can only imagine when you’re so used to running that it’d be so hard not to be out there all the time.

If you do have problems, I can let you know where I go (same if you need to know other doctors, etc out here). Honestly my ortho didn’t do much to help my knee issues the last time, so I’m glad I switched doctors..

It’s hard not to be training but most of all, I miss socializing and being with everyone. I’m looking forward to hanging out with you soon and basically just thankful for any chance to get out of the house and hang out. Cross training machines aren’t the best company for workouts and Planet Fitness is kinda lonely, lol.

6. wanderwolf says:

Urgh. What a bummer about the injury. It’s frustrating how things can be going so well and then BAM injury, time off, trying to keep some fitness… I’m sorry.
    But, I think it’s great you went to figure out the source of the problem and got fitted for orthotics. They’re not a panacea, but I found having them in my everyday shoes when I walk around a lot really helps. I tried running in them and found that they didn’t really help and I only got blisters. But having them for everyday support has actually kept me free from longer-term running injuries.
    You have a positive outlook, and it’s good to keep that in mind. While I include being able to run as part of being healthy, it’s also good to reflect that I’m lucky and can be happy on any day I don’t struggle with my health.
    Heal quickly!

These are temporary orthotics, but they said they should last for about a year. I figure in a year, I can revisit the issue to see if I really “need” them or not (if so, I’ll shell out the $450 for actual custom orthotics, but I didn’t want to do that the other day). I only have one pair and have a ton of running shoes, so I may look into something like Green Superfeet for another pair of shoes for running. Superfeet are relatively cheap (~$50) and it wouldn’t hurt to have several pair for my shoes.

7. Laura says:

You are doing awesome getting all that cross training in! I find as I increase my miles that we all have this line that we toe… we don’t know how close we are to it until we cross it and BAM, get injured. Especially those of us who are not biomechanically perfect. It’s frustrating, but like you said, the important thing is to be grateful for our health and what our bodies CAN do!

You are so right. My friend Tom said it best one day on a run when he convinced me to shoot for the Charleston Half- typically these things happen when we are in amazing shape and just about ready to PR. But he also said that when you cross train through it and work hard on recovery, runners tend to come back about as healthy as before… and I believe that. I don’t know *anyone* who is mechanistically perfect as a runner, form wise, and everyone’s body is different.

8. Hoping you have a speedy recovery! You’ve got such a positive attitude towards this which is great, it can be so hard to be positive in a situation like this, so great job.

9. Hang in there as best you can and keep up with the positive attitude!! While cross training is lonely you are still being active and still accomplishing fitness goals albeit in just a different manner….
    As always, I’m here if you need a shoulder to lean or just need someone to vent to
    🙂

Thanks Melissa. I can’t wait to see you guys succeed in MB! I hate that I will see it because that means I’m not running on the course with you, but I’ll still be there for y’all on race day- and every day!

10. pondernwonder says:

It’s true how much we take our health for granted. I hope you feel better and great job on staying on top of cross training and also that positive attitude. Sending you positive vibes!

11. I hope the orthotics & medicine get you on the road to recovery (and keep you there!). I’m sorry your cross training has been so isolating, but it sounds like you are doing a great job of keeping a positive attitude.

Thanks. I’m glad to at least *see* some of my running friends (I’m going to happy hour after tonight’s group run, so I’ll be there even if I’m not running) and some of the classes are a little social, I guess. But cross training is pretty lonely for the most part.

12. I’ve been linking up with Holly and Tricia for months now and never ran across your blog …glad I did today! I, too, have been sidelined from running for quite a while …ankle injury. I’m just now slowly beginning to run a little but still doing lots of cross training. I love the “cross train until you go insane” motto ..it fits perfect! I just got my new custom orthotics and am having quite a time adjusting to them….but then again, patience is not one of my virtues! Good luck!

I’m so sorry you are sidelined as well. It is no fun at all, and I guess I did cross train until I went insane because I lost all motivation to do anything today! My orthotics feel super heavy still, I don’t know how I will adjust to running in them.Maybe it will make my legs stronger, who knows?

13. Running Manz says:

Blergh. That’s hella frustrating! If it’s any consolation, back at the start of 2011, I was dealing with myriad issues that led to me taking almost six weeks essentially completely off running. I also cross-trained a lot (although I don’t think even as much as you are) and ended up setting some PRs later in the spring and into the fall. It kind of helped me press reset and re-establish good routines that prevented bad stuff from continuing to happen cyclically. Hopefully your ankle heals up quickly and you are similarly set up for success!!

Haha, I took it easy yesterday, then was planning to work out hard today but got a sports massage instead so now I want to do nothing! She told me to walk today and don’t try to run, but was very insightful on my injury. Hopefully we have figured out the root cause of both injuries now, so I can start to heal and get back to training injury-free!

14. Yes, keep those dreams alive – you have so much potential and a big future ahead! I’m so sorry that you can’t run… seriously, I hear ya. Being the cross training runner is super lonely, especially when you have a rockin’ run group. BUT this recovery time isn’t spent in vain and it sounds like you have a podiatrist that totally “gets” distance running. Hang in there, continue being smart with your recovery and don’t every give up on those dreams, Amy!

Oh, I’m not giving up! I still have several chances at the half marathon before the summer heat hits, or opt to run those as 5Ks if I want to work on speed. The “M word” is permanently banished from my vocabulary because every time that even crosses my mind, I seem to get hurt these days.

15. Elizabeth C. says:

You’ll be out there soon enough. I admire that you are being so diligent about cross training, and it looks like you have a really nice gym. Once you get this tendon thing figured out I think you will go injury free for more years to come. Overall you seem to have good biomechanics!

Girl… my biomechanics in this foot are sad. I was basically running on the outside of my foot. I’m trying to “retrain” my feet to pronate and it’s tough. You have to think about what you’re doing as you walk (and run, when I can run again). It’s especially tough when it hurts…

16. so glad that you got some help from the podiatrist and man are you killing the cross training, hours and hours each day.

17. HoHo Runs says:

I definitely agree about choosing a podiatrist over an orthopedist in matters of the feet and ankle. I have extremely high arches too and don’t think there is a shoe out there that solves our problem. It has been suggested I try inserts and I may go that route too. I am fortunate to enjoy my cross training activity…cycling. It gets me outside (which is so important for me!) and gives me something I can work toward (training for metric century ride and sprint tris) as I rehab my feet. The best thing of all? Bodies Heal! You will get back to running in no time. Hang in there! Thanks for linking, Amy!

18. Christine says:

Ugh. Sorry you’re injured and it messed with your race plans. But it’s good to still be grateful for overall health. Even with all of the asthma, allergies, and deficiency issues I’ve had, I’m still grateful that it’s not more serious and can mostly be managed or fixed.

19. laurenweiner says:

I’m sorry you are dealing with all this, but it sounds like you are in good hands at the podiatrist. I think your perspective of thankfulness regarding your general state of health is really important. I think it so easy to get frustrated about not being able to run, when there are so many people that would kill just to walk! You are doing a great job cross training and keeping up your fitness….I’m sure you will heal up and bounce back in no time!

20. That is why I enjoy reading your posts so much, the positive outlook shines through in everything you do. Amy it’s just so refreshing. Hating your dealing with this but wishing the best for you through this.