Weekly Rundown: February 6-12

This week’s mantra: Cross train ‘till ya go insane.

Funny how last week, I considered adding another easy run to my weekly schedule, and this week, I’m hoping I can run the races on my Spring race schedule. For such a repetitive sport, running is truly unpredictable. As always, I’m grateful for every run, even the worst day of running beats the best day of injury or illness.

Monday 6 miles easy + ITBS Rehab Routine
Tuesday 60 min. barre
Wednesday 2.1 mile test run + 60 min Arc Trainer
Thursday 6.2 miles + ITBS Rehab Routine
Friday 60 min. Arc Trainer + ITBS Rehab Routine
Saturday 60 min. Arc Trainer + 60 min. yoga
Sunday 60 min. Arc Trainer + moving furniture
Total 14.3 miles. Whomp whomp.

On Monday, I woke up feeling congested and tired. I think running into the headwind for 5 miles of Saturday’s long run contributed to this. I did my ITBS PT and went on a 6 mile easy sightseeing run around downtown with some friends. I do love my sightseeing runs and downtown Charleston is a ghost town on Monday nights!

My left ankle hurt a bit after Monday’s easy run, so I proactively took Tuesday off running. I had a stress fracture in my left heel in 2014, so any time something feels off with that ankle, I’m taking the day off. I take a “zero day” from running each week, and after last week’s 49 miles, maybe I needed that day off a little earlier than usual. I went to a barre class that my friend Kelly teaches. Kelly’s always inviting me to barre, so I figured an unplanned day off running was a good time to check it out.

Wednesday, I woke up and ran 2 miles around the neighborhood to test the ankle. It did not feel 100%, so I went to the chiro to have it adjusted and seek advice. He was great and showed me places to roll/massage around my peroneal tendon. It felt better, but I still decided to skip Wednesday night track and cross train on the Arc Trainer instead.

IMG_20170210_120214

Thursday morning, I broke out a new pair of shoes because my New Balance Zante’s had about 450 miles on them (does anyone else keep extra pairs of shoes in your closet to break out randomly?). The pain got worse over and after my easy 6 miler, so I proactively scheduled an appointment with a podiatrist on Tuesday. It’s hard to get a doctor’s appointment, so when as I think I might need one, I call to get on the list ASAP. If the rest makes the injury go away, I can cancel the appointment. That’s one phone call I’d be thrilled to make…

I headed downtown for Charleston Beer Runners on Thursday night. Everyone (else) ran to Mellow Mushroom Downtown for a big party thrown by Yazoo brewing. Charleston Beer Runners had a huge crowd and Vy and I were trying to peep into the picture from the back.

16665577_520520798145975_2444097369217096545_o

Yazoo gave out t-shirts to runners, offered specials, and had a pizza eating contest. The contestants tried to eat a small Mellow Mushroom pizza covered in hot sauce in 15 minutes. Two guys accomplished this feat and were handsomely rewarded with prizes and a growler of free beer from Yazoo brewing. It was fun to watch- I tasted one bite of the pizza and it was crazy hot. Plus, those personal pizzas are huge and easily feed two people.

IMG_20170209_210950

IMG_20170209_212339

I decided to arc train for the rest of the week, until the ankle feels 100%, or until the doctor says I can run again. I feel like 60 minutes on the Arc Trainer is an equivalent effort to a 60 minute run, so I can keep my cardiovascular fitness up. This machine is no joke and will keep your heart rate elevated much better than the elliptical. Your hamstrings, calves, glutes, and core will feel it.

Here’s to hoping some rest will make my congestion and this ankle “niggle” go away! Have a good week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out here. I’m also linking up with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC. You can check those posts out here.

This entry was posted in Arc Trainer, Charleston Beer Runners, Injury, Training Log and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Weekly Rundown: February 6-12

1. liz says:

Those pizzas *look* good but I hate hot sauce! Let me know how Tuesday goes. ❤

2. laurenweiner says:

Sorry you are having issues with your ankle. I hope all goes well with your appointment this week, and you are very smart for being cautious!

I’m being as cautious as possible and hoping the appointment goes well, too. I learned from my last injury that it takes awhile to lose fitness if you keep cross training pretty hard, so I don’t mind taking a few days off running and hoping it will heal.

3. I recently have been having ankle problems as well and I think it was because I was running in old shoes since I started running in my newer ones consistently I haven’t had any.

Thanks. I don’t think any of my shoes were completely worn out, and I rotate through so many pairs too (I’m definitely more careful since the knee injury). Unfortunately it still hurt this morning when I got up, so I’m thinking it may not be shoes… :(.

4. Love Mellow Mushroom! Hoping you get the green light to run soon. You are being so smart about this!

5. Emily says:

The arc trainer does give you an amazing workout. I like to do intervals on it too and get my heart rate up high and then bring it back down. Good luck with your ankle!!!!

6. Oh no, sorry to hear you are having problems with your ankle. Hopefully you caught it early and resting will take care of it.

7. (I’ve got 2 pair of shoes in my closet waiting to be broken in, lol!)
    Even though you had a frustrating week with congestion and ankle issues, you are smart to be cross training and scheduling a drs appointment. I do hope the niggle goes away and/or your Dr appointment goes well and you figure out what is going on with the ankle. I know you will still go to MB to cheer our crew on but I REALLY want you to be able to run with us!!!
    And wow that hot sauce pizza?? Kudos to the guys who ate it all!!!

Agreed! I still want to run it, even if I’m not in the best shape (it’s getting to the point where I’m now rethinking my goals even if I can run it). Regardless, I want to be there for you and everyone else and enjoy the trip, but it stinks to sink so much money and time into training for a race and not be able to show off your hard work.

I opted to cross train again today and figure this is probably the best option until I go to the doctor because if anything is broken or wrong, it’s not worth risking it for 1-2 runs.

We tried SO HARD to get Dan to do the challenge and he wouldn’t! I still got him in the picture looking longingly at that pizza!

8. Oh no! Sorry to hear you’re having issues with your ankle! Hopefully it’s nothing too serious and you can get back to training soon!

9. I am sorry to hear about your ankle but resting it proactively is a GOOD idea, so go you. I agree that the arc trainer can REALLY resemble running if you put it at just the right incline/resistance. I used to do that when I would get injured (now it bothers my ITB go figure) but while I would rather be running, I could not deny that it was just as good of a workout and of course easier on the old joints.

10. I’ve started liking Buffalo sauce, as far as hot sauces go. I am a huge whimp when it comes to spicy food, but I’ve felt a rush with Buffalo sauce. The pizza eating contest looked crazy though!

Ugh. I’ve been sick for a few weeks. There’s a horrible virus going around Ohio right now. Mine started three weeks ago, and I did receive antibiotics at the urgent care after the first week. I finished the antibiotics several days ago, and I think I’m finally reaching the end… HOPEFULLY. And hopefully you’re feeling better! 😀

I’m not sure I know what a barre class is, but it sounds like you’re enjoying it.

Have a good night!

11. Elizabeth C. says:

I saw in your comment on my blog that you ran 14 miles this week. You’re very smart to cross train and I hope that this ankle thing disappears just as quickly as it came on. It sounds like you are overall in good spirits and keeping your attitude in a good spot, which is so important. Also, I love the Mellow Mushroom. Didn’t realize they had it in SC!

We do have Mellow Mushroom… Charleston area has like 5 of them now, it’s insane! I love the Kosmic Karma pizza there :).

I am trying to keep my spirits high through the injury. It sucks, don’t get me wrong. Even if I can run MB, my goals are out the window at this point. But, at least I can do the arc trainer and yoga.

12. HoHo Runs says:

I could not even eat one bite of a pizza covered in hot sauce. Wimpy. I hope you ankle issued is short lived. I had an ankle stress fracture years ago. NO fun at all. As you know, there are plenty of ways to stay cardio healthy while you rest that ankle/foot. We do what we can, right? (I’m currently cycling for my cardio workouts.) Fingers crossed you get good news from the doc. Thanks for linking, Amy!

13. Liz says:

I feel like the elliptical keeps my heart rate up, haha. I still have never tried an Arc trainer. I’m pretty sure Jon could have eaten a pizza in hot sauce in 15 minutes. He eats SO fast all the time. And he loves hot sauce. I hope the tendonitis gets better. I had it in the tops of my feet my freshman year in college and it was so painful and took awhile to get better.

The pain is terrible when I wake up in the mornings. I’m hobbling around and it’s almost unbearable. It happens after I lay in bed a long time, so if I wake up at say, 4 AM, to go to the bathroom it hurts, and then I have to try to go back to sleep.

BTW, I’m gonna message you my cell number so we can hang out soon. Not sure what you’re up to, I have no plans tomorrow except yoga and next week is mostly open too.

14. I’m so sorry about the ankle issues! You’re smart to cross train and try to nip the niggle in the bud before it turns into something serious!

15. Sarah says:

The Arc Trainer is no joke. Definitely a good substitution as needed! I love this “As always, I’m grateful for every run, even the worst day of running beats the best day of injury or illness.” YES. That mindset girl. Also, that pizza.

16. supereli23 says:

I always keep an extra pair of new running shoes in my closet to break out when I need them too. How do you like the Zantes? I switched to them when they horribly redesigned the Pure Flow 5s. I have found them to be a good substitute for those and hopefully the 6’s are back to the usual design. Hope your ankle gets better and that you are catching it in the early stages before it goes from niggle to full blown injury!

17. Your Monday night runs sightseeing around town sounds like a great way to see the town.
    You do a much better job at not only listening to your body but the follow through part of taking it easy. I don’t always do great in that part! Trying but not always.
    Holy cow that is a big group! That would be like the attendance of a local 5k here! I do love Mellow Mushroom and try to talk my hubs into eating there when we see one, but one it hot sauce is not even appealing to me and just the thought would send my husband into heart burn arrest!