Weekly Rundown: January 23-29

Happy Monday everyone! I’m another week closer to the Myrtle Beach Marathon and the Publix Savannah Women’s Half Marathon, and training went well this week. I did some workouts, ran a race, went to an art show, and went out on a date with Clay.

Before we get to that, the Awkward Yeti is my favorite online comic, and one of last week’s posts was perfect for the weekly rundown blog post.

16195177_1247354745340198_608492759364533366_n

Since the knee injury, and really all year, my goal is to just have fun with running, writing, and life and enjoy the process in everything. Funny thing is, now that I’ve stopped putting pressure on myself and just rolled with life, things have gone really well!

Monday 6.4 miles + ITBS Rehab Routine
Tuesday 7.8 miles, including HMP tempo
Wednesday 6 miles, including 4 x 800m
Thursday 6.3 miles + ITBS Rehab Routine
Friday 30 min. yoga
Saturday 7.4 miles including Charlie Post 5K (21:23) + 60 min. yoga
Sunday 13.1 miles
Total 47.1 miles

Clay was sick with a head cold last weekend, so on Sunday night, I slept in the guest bedroom. I woke up with a sore neck and achy. At least I don’t need full movement of my head and neck to run, right? Thankfully, no trash trucks were out and I only encountered one crazy construction worker driver.

On Tuesday, I ran on the treadmill at lunch, and that afternoon, I went to Lululemon to get my free gear from the 40K/80K Strava Challenge. From logging my runs on Strava, I snagged a new tech shirt and speed shorts. Since I have a mortgage and Roth IRA, I run in $10 shorts from the Nike outlet and tech shirts from the discount bin at race expos. I met up with Eryn at the store and we’re pretty stoked to try out the Lululemon gear.

16300523_917794770593_505731749965029487_o

lululemon

Wednesday night was track night and the weather was perfect with temperatures in the 60s and low humidity. I wore my speedy shoes (New Balance Fresh Foam Zante) and was stoked to get one last workout in before the Charlie Post Classic 5K.

We had a good crowd at track, with both newcomers and old faces, and everyone had someone pushing them to run their best. Larry was there coaching, offering advice, and cheering. We miss a few of our runners who are dealing with injuries or other struggles right now.

IMG_20170125_180113

I decided to run 800s and intended to run 6, but stopped after 4 and ran easy the rest of the time. I hit all my paces, but my stomach started hurting- in fact, it hurt the rest of the night. I tried a new protein bar that afternoon, and when I looked at the wrapper after the fact, I saw that it contained sugar alcohols. I will stick to other snacks from now on if I’m running in the evening.

On Thursday I ran early in the day, then headed to James Island that evening for Austin’s art show. The art show was held at the Costa Williams dentist office, which seemed odd at first, but is really a cool idea. The dentist office was super nice (it looked like it belonged in a magazine), and with all the foot traffic from patients, it’s a great place to display and sell art. Austin’s art featured a lot of animal prints and bright colors, and she’s very talented.

16388397_918346040843_4874801107620053855_n

It was great catching up with friends when we weren’t all sweaty from running, and we enjoyed the wine and sushi. The sushi chef was rolling the sushi fresh on site!

16299076_918345926073_465651696694047606_n

16299309_918346060803_2101025953646725669_n

On Saturday, I ran the Charlie Post Classic 5K with a couple of my training partners, and it went really well! Brent and Theresa set new PRs- Brent placed in his age group and Theresa broke a 5K PR that was several years old. Melissa and Dan ran another consistent (consistently fast) 5K under 20 minutes.

Thanks to Charleston Half Marathon recovery, Tuesday’s tempo, and Wednesday’s track, my legs didn’t want to race today. I ran my fastest 5K post-injury, and coming off a hard week of training, I’ll take it.

16194953_918652067563_5660567685721784970_n

After the race I had a delicious veggie burrito that the race provided (so good!) then headed to a 12:15 class at Soul Yoga and Wellness. It’s a donation, all levels class and having it on a Saturday after a race is convenient. A different lady taught and she broke down the anatomy and benefits of each pose. I’ve enjoyed all the classes I’ve taken at the studio.

On Sunday, I did a few miles before meeting up with the Hampton Park group for a long run. I started out running with the group of faster runners (who were all taking it VERY easy) and ended up running with them for much of the 8 miles. I was close to 13 when I finished, so tacked on 4/10 of a mile to make it a 13 mile and half marathon day.

I came home from the run and Clay was home from Columbia (he was there all weekend), so we made up for lost time with a little date. We went to Poe’s Tavern on Sullivan’s Island, and I had the black bean veggie burger and he had the burger of the day.

16386919_919080424133_4524875537143745531_n

16388302_919080389203_7059600195913475653_n

It’s kind of a drive just for burgers, but it’s fun to say we ate at one of the area’s most popular restaurants. We also went grocery shopping and did some more things to get ready for the week like yard stuff and meal prep.

I hope everyone has a wonderful and warm week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out here. I’m also linking up with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC. You can check those posts out here.

This entry was posted in Charleston Food, Charleston Running Club, IOP/Sullivan's, James Island, Myrtle Beach Marathon, Publix Savannah Women's Half Marathon and 5K, Summerville, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Weekly Rundown: January 23-29

1. Hollie says:

Sounds like a good week and I’m glad you are able to record mileage healthy again! That Lululemon Strava challenge is pretty awesome.

Thanks Hollie. I don’t think anyone in the challenge expected to get free clothes out of it. I was shocked personally- I figured we would get a coupon or something.

2. Theresa says:

Dang apparently I need to get on strava!

3. Usually I’d be all over those burger photos but the sushi one looks amazing! My mouth started watering and it won’t stop! I may need to grab an avocado roll sometime today. Great mileage last week, Amy! Love that Lulu stuff. I usually wear cheap old running clothes but I have a few more expensive items that I love wearing too.

I’m really loving sushi lately. I went out for sushi a few weeks ago a few days after the Charleston Half Marathon and it was so good. Besides, the rice is a good source of carbs for us runners :).

I haven’t tried out the lulu shirt yet but the shorts are pretty nice. They have a great zipper pocket in the back that’s good for my car or house key.

4. laurenweiner says:

The art show at the dentist’s office sounded like an interesting location! And those burgers from your date with Clay look amazing!

The burgers were really good.

The art show was GREAT. Turns out, a dentist office is really the perfect place to have this because there’s a huge waiting room and a nice long hallway to display the art. There were a few offices (not exam rooms) that were relatively empty as well, for displaying art, having the food laid out, etc. The dentists who work there are friends with Stevie and Austin so it worked out well for them to do the show there.

5. Solid mileage this week! The strava challenge sounds awesome! Goodies for hardwork is always a bonus! 😀

The sushi and the date burgers look amazing!

Thanks- it was a great bonus. I had no clue the challenge would give us free clothes. I figured we’d get a button on our Strava and maybe a coupon or something (even with a coupon, I can’t afford Lululemon on my homeowner budget).

We have quite amazing food down here…

6. Jennifer @ Dashing in Style says:

Love that first graphic! Running your fastest 5K in a while on top of such a high-mileage week is awesome. Such a great week!

7. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Hahaha Awkward Yeti is one of my favorite comics and that one made me laugh! I’m seriously bummed that I didn’t catch onto the Strava challenge until it ended…that’s awesome how you got actual clothes, not just a coupon or something.

8. I totally agree that when you roll with it and have fun, good things happen. Great to see you having fun AND running well. That Lululemon | Strava Challenge was awesome. At first I was like, ok badges, sure why not? What a great surprise! 🙂

It was a wonderful surprise :). And yeah, I think less running anxiety will definitely help at the start lines of races. Injuries suck, but being thankful for what I can do is a good result of having to take most of November off and miss some races.

9. I love that comic! And what a great week – lots of good running and a fast race + lots of fun non-running stuff! Yay!

10. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Great job on your workouts and the 5K! Okay, that sushi looks amazing! I need to really look into working with a running club but I just get too shy to go out there and meet new people….one of these days!

Well, we welcome everyone at our track workouts. If you’re willing to come to the workout and suffer with us, we don’t care if you’re suffering at a 6 min/mile pace or a 10 min/mile pace. We also cheer for everyone no matter what they are doing, being at a track makes that easy.

Really, I’ve run with quite a few groups in the years… and I have only met a handful of runners who were not-so-nice. As in, I could count them on the fingers of one hand. This is a sport where people really respect each other, so you should give it a shot!

11. Love the comic!!! Solid week of training and the fact that you pulled a fast time for the 5k on tired legs is a sign that you are getting stronger and faster. Not much longer until MB… you are so going to crush it!!!

Thanks girly! You’re going to crush it too… we’re all working so hard and I am proud of you for Saturday even if it wasn’t the time you wanted. You are consistently in the 19s now and that is amazing.

12. mommyrunfaster says:

Congrats on your speedy 5k! And especially after a week including some tough workouts. You’re so right about taking the pressure off, it can really make a difference!

13. hilaryruns says:

Super random, but do you have housing lined up for Myrtle Beach? We have extra (free!) space, so if you are in need, let me know! (Fair warning, it’ll be a non-runner crew besides me, so they’ll be…*ahem*…enjoying themselves at the beach.)

14. Elizabeth C. says:

Awesome week, Amy! I am so jealous of everyone who got the free Lululemon gear. I am on Strava and somehow had no idea that this challenge was going on. But congrats on getting some free stuff! That sushi looks amazing and sounds like you had fun eating it. Sorry to hear about Clay being sick and your stomach distress!

Thankfully the stomach issues resolved themselves quickly, I was only a little uncomfortable during the workout, but it stinks to not feel great during a workout. I just join every single strava challenge now, after this one you never know what it might get you…

15. HoHo Runs says:

I hate I missed the Lululemon/Strava challenge. I would have enjoyed trying their apparel. You had another great week of training! My father in law is an artist and some of his shows have been at very unusual or quaint locations. I think it makes it more fun. I still have the Savannah Publix Half on my radar and will make a decision on that soon. Thanks for linking, Amy!