Weekly Rundown: January 16-22

Happy Monday everyone! It was another warm, beautiful training week here in the South, as if we needed a reminder of why 48 people per day move to the Charleston area. It’s still a little warmer than I’d like, but it beats the alternative of oppressing humidity and heat.

I ran a lot of miles this week, but weekly mileage doesn’t tell the whole story. The Charleston half marathon kicked my tail and some of these miles were HARD! Even on the easy days, my body didn’t always want to get out of the door. Fortunately, I felt better at the end of the week.

Monday 6.3 miles
Tuesday 7.2 miles + ITBS Rehab Routine + 60 min. yoga
Wednesday 5 miles, including Fleet Feet Pub Run
Thursday 7.8 miles, including HMP tempo
Friday 60 min. yoga
Saturday 10.6 miles + ITBS Rehab Routine
Sunday 7.4 miles + 60 min. BodyFlow
Total 44.3 miles

On Monday morning, I felt like I was run over by a bus- the disgust bus. I ran easy, but I was fatigued and mentally tired from being “on” for 13.1 miles. Not only was I recovering from the Charleston Half Marathon, I was also recovering from my longest run since October. I tried to make sure I got lots of fruits and vegetables, took L-Glutamine, and slept a lot.

Sleep-Meme

I planned to run Tuesday morning before work but ended up sleeping up until 15 minutes before I had to be at work. Good thing I work at home, but my body needed that 10 hours of sleep.

Wednesday I went to the Fleet Feet Summerville Pub Run, which rotates to a different bar or restaurant each month. We ran around the neighborhoods off Old Trolley Rd. and on the Sawmill Branch Trail. I ran around a neighborhood to get some extra miles in before the run, but I took it easy and enjoyed the lower humidity.

IMG_20170118_193828

I did a tempo run on Thursday, on the treadmillat Planet Fitness. I still felt like poop but made it through the run by focusing on the fact that Friday was a rest day. Donald Trump was on the TV news, as if feeling like death on the treadmill isn’t bad enough. Emanuel AME Church was also in the news, so I ended up leaving the gym feeling like crying. Other runners talk about taper crazies; I guess I had the recovery crazies.

On Friday, I went to a really awesome myofascial release flow yoga class at Soul Yoga and Wellness. We spent the first half of the class basically rolling out our muscles on myofascial release balls- just what I needed.

The second half of the class was spent doing various yoga poses with the block. If you’ve ever thought using a block made a pose easier, or that not using a block in yoga makes you a hardcore yogi, this class dispelled those myths. The blocks completely changed how some of the poses felt for me. It was a great class and way to not get out of the “pre-hab” we runners needed.

Saturday was long run and coffee day. Recovering from the half, I told myself I’d do an 8 mile run if I felt like poop, 10 miles if I felt okay, and 12 miles if I felt good. The rain held off and the Fleet Feet/Summerville Family YMCA training program was out on the trail, along with many other runners, so that was a big boost.

I logged 10.6 miles with some faster miles wedged in the middle as a faster tempo run. All of us started out the first two miles together, so it was good to run with everyone. Success is never a solo effort.

IMG_20170121_085618

Afterwards, we went to Cuppa Manna for coffee and smoothies. Life is meant to be enjoyed, and I enjoy our post-run coffee dates and chats. There’s a running group in Downtown Charleston where the members are in their 60s, 70s, and 80s, and they run around Colonial Lake, then go out for breakfast or coffee. Whether it’s Downtown Charleston, Downtown Summerville, or wherever I live, I hope I’m still running and going out with friends years from now.

IMG_20170121_094446

IMG_20170121_092541

We had a thunderstorm on Sunday morning, so I hit the treadmill instead of running outside. Since I missed running the bridge, I did an incline workout and watched Food Network. I’m pretty sure Food Network and ESPN are the most popular channels at Planet Fitness.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out  here. I’m also linking up with Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run, DC. You can check those posts out here.

This entry was posted in Charleston Marathon, Fleet Feet Pub Run, Fleet Feet Summerville, Summerville Running, Training Log, Yoga and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Weekly Rundown: January 16-22

1. Jennifer @ Dashing in Style says:

Glad to “meet” you via the linkups! Your week sounds very similar to how mine usually are in terms of lots of mileage and fatigue, but I give you kudos for adding a race to all that. I usually only did races as training runs. Racing races would add a whole new element of difficulty for sure. So given that, awesome week!

Well, my Charleston Half Marathon wasn’t an A race. I typically run races as a part of training because it’s a good chance to push myself and get a speed workout in. Plus, most of my friends are at the race so I figure I may as well be there too- to support them and support the charity.

I’ll say I was glad this was a race-free week because I needed it to recover from the Charleston Half. Recovering from your longest run in months, which ended up being a PR, is tough stuff…

2. What a good recovery week! The myofascial release yoga sounds pretty awesome (and a reminder that I need to start yoga)
    Thank you for running with me during miles 3-5. It was just the boost I needed to get my legs to turnover and get my head in the game.
    Next group long run let’s try to see if anyone wants to go to the bagel place. I’m sure they have coffe there as well. Will run for bagels!
    See you at the track!

It really was not a recovery week :). Maybe it should have been… this week may be.

Miles 3-5 were great running with you! I sped up on the way back and got down to half marathon pace, then ran the last 2 with Brent and Erin as kind of a cool down. If you can ever make it to West Ashley on a Saturday or Sunday, the studio I go to has a donation-based class Saturday at 12:15 and Sunday at 4 PM. Also the Coastal Coffee in Summerville does yoga on Monday nights for a reasonable price.

I vote for Charleston Bagel or Coastal Coffee after the next long run. I bet your coffee hurt your tummy because Trump’s hair was in it… ;).

3. Myofascial balls are AMAZING. I honestly didn’t think they were going to be as great as they are!

4. Oooooh that looks like a good drink. I love that you run so many group runs! I want to move to Charleston!

We do have a lot of group runs here! There’s no shortage of people to run with on any day, really. It’s tough if you have a really long run to do so we try to plan some Saturday runs for that. Melissa got in 12 on Saturday. One of our guys is marathon training, so when we do them he just gets in a few miles before and it works out.

5. What a solid week! And omg that drink!!!! Thanks for joining the linkup!

6. Myofascial release flow sounds SO good! Looks like you had a great week!

7. Elizabeth C. says:

It’s great to hear that you are recovering well from your half and keeping up with the ITB Rehab routine. A strong recovery = a strong athlete. 🙂 Great job on the mileage!

Thanks, yeah I really like the exercises that are in that routine. I do add some additional things, like more hip bridges and some more glute work. The exercises may have been to rehab ITBS, but I feel like doing them 2x a week is making me a stronger runner all around.

8. I don’t blame your body for being tired – you put in some serious miles and workouts this week! You’re so smart to listen to your body and give grace as needed. A sleep-in morning and extra rest is totally worth it! I could use some of that coffee right now 🙂

Yeah, I can definitely tell I’ve been training for a bit post-injury, because I’m starting to get the tired feeling as well as wanting to eat everything in sight! I have no problems falling asleep at night lately either.

9. Sounds like you’ve had an awesome week of training and racked up the miles nicely! The yoga class sounds amazing! The Myofascial balls sound painful though! 😉

10. Sarah says:

LOL to the graphic about naps…. literally me… every time. Myofascial release flow yoga class sounds ahhhhhmazing – like yes, just yes. I love at this beginning of this post you say, “weekly mileage doesn’t tell the whole story”. This is an extremely valid point which I think is often and easily overlooked.

11. laurenweiner says:

Sounds like you had a pretty good week even though you felt like your recovery was slow. That yoga class sounds fantastic.

At my gym, they usually show sports, CNN, Fox News and HGTV. I have fun switching between the news networks and watching them cover the same story completely differently. Its my treadmill entertainment. I swear, the miles tick by so fast.

12. I’m jealous of the warm weather you had! I’m literally watching snow fall outside my window as I type! It is beautiful, though 🙂

I love your goal to be running into old age and socializing with friends through it all. That is such a good long term goal! And that Cuppa Manna smoothie? YUM. That seriously looks so good!

It looks good, and it tasted good, but it wasn’t $6+ good. I’m not sure we’ll go back because we were paying downtown Charleston prices in downtown Summerville. None of us were particularly impressed and we’re all kind of a foodie bunch hahaha.

• Aw man, that is expensive! I don’t blame you for not wanting to go back!

Yeah, I don’t mind the cost, just that for the price, the smoothie was not the greatest. If I go out to a coffee shop or restaurant, I like to order something that I can’t make it home for myself. I actually think I can make a better smoothie at home…

13. HoHo Runs says:

You deserved some extra rest after your half! I hope I can run into my 60s, 70s and 80s too. I’m in awe of those that are still out there, especially since I’m already feeling the struggling some days in my 50s. That Soul Yoga class sounds like what I need. Thanks for linking, Amy!