Weekly Rundown: January 8-15

Monday Musing: Half marathons hurt, especially when it’s your longest run since October.

My third week of training for 2017 is in the books. After rebuilding my base in December, I’m now training for the Myrtle Beach Half Marathon and Savannah Women’s Half Marathon. Our Wednesday night track crew is planning to run Myrtle Beach, and I’m an ambassador for Savannah Women’s Half (so you can save $10 when you register and use the code TINY).

This week brought some good workouts and an unexpected PR in the Charleston Half Marathon, my favorite “hometown” race. I’ve only done a few long runs, but lifetime mileage and the power of belief paid off. I’ll write a race recap later this week.

Monday 7.8 miles (HMP Tempo) + ITB Rehab Routine
Tuesday 6.3 miles + 60 min. yoga
Wednesday 6 miles (track) + ITB Rehab Routine
Thursday 5.1 miles
Friday 15 min. stretching/yoga
Saturday 13.2 miles including Charleston Half Marathon (1:38:14)
Sunday 4.1 miles + BodyFlow + ITB Rehab Routine
Total 42.5 miles

Monday was a treadmill tempo and Tuesday was an uneventful run around the neighborhood. Not much to report about those runs. I tried a Deep Stretch Yoga at the gym on Tuesday night, and that was great- it’s new on the schedule for 2017 and I hope the gym doesn’t cancel it.

I wasn’t sure what track workout to do this week, since I was running a half marathon on Saturday, so I looked back at my past training logs and did the ladder workout that I ran the Wednesday night before the Hilton Head Island Half Marathon. That was my half marathon PR (before Saturday), so I figured I would try to replicate that week of training since it worked once before.

15940863_10154904012463185_8756667098291197699_n

We had a nice crowd for track, along with some new faces and some who are returning from injuries or setbacks. I’m glad that we’re all logging miles again and getting healthy!

I also went to a carb loading/pasta party with Charleston Beer Runners and we had an amazing time- it was a nice way to chill and relax and fun meeting some people who were in town to run.

16107277_10100311230813003_5531625068247302248_o

I didn’t taper or cut back before the race. I haven’t logged enough mileage to justify cutting back, and Charleston Half wasn’t a goal race for me (until Mile 9 of the race). At the expo, a race was giving out Gu with their discount code attached, so I tried that race morning. I normally wouldn’t recommend something new on race day, but this wasn’t an “A race”, and I didn’t have much to lose. I also decided to wear my Brooks PureFlow shoes about 20 minutes before the race. Good thing my car is basically a moving locker room of shoes…

At the start, I met the 3:15 marathon pacer, Martin. He told me his strategy was to run a 7:27 pace and even splits. He said he’d pace for a 1:37 half as well. Everyone was chatty and entertaining, and I surprised myself and ran with them until the full course split. I kept the momentum and set a new PR on a difficult day. I looked for Martin and the others after the race, but I did not see them.

I only consumed two mimosas, so my post-race drinking PR remains at four from last year’s Charleston Marathon. I’ve gotta work harder on my mimosa game for 2018!

16003059_10104792291576187_7121816974926148991_n

Clay and I celebrated the Charleston Marathon with our traditional dinner at CO. It’s still Charleston Restaurant Week, and we always tend to wind up at CO the day of the marathon since it always falls during the restaurant week.

I had the crab rangoons, salad, and pad thai, and he had the curry laksa, his favorite. Downtown was busy and it was a wonderful date night.

15977520_914546160833_7259638371585006062_n

Getting out of the door on Sunday was the hardest part of the run, but I logged a few recovery miles, did PT, and went to the post-race celebration party at Fleet Feet Mt. Pleasant. I wore my medal all day long, relaxed around the house, and just enjoyed the day.

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Charleston Beer Runners, Charleston Food, Charleston Marathon, Charleston Running, Downtown, Summerville Running, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Weekly Rundown: January 8-15

1. wanderwolf says:

Congrats on the new PR and a great week of running, overall.

2. Go Amy! A surprise PR! Can’t wait to hear more about it.

Thank you! I will probably start writing the recap tomorrow. I spent today writing about the backstory of marathon training, why I was training for a marathon, getting hurt, and running the half. So, you’ll have to wait a few more days than usual!

3. Michelle says:

Love CO! You have reminded me that I need to eat there more often. I wish it was just a tad closer to me though. Congratulations again your PR for the half. You’re going to see so many gains this year, I just know it.

4. Congrats on the PR! I love it here in Va Beach, but I miss Charleston.

VA Beach is nice too… they have a lot of races up there that look fun (J&A races). But there’s no place like Charleston…

• True. J&A is easily the best of the bunch up here although there are several other groups that put on decent events. Maybe I’ll get to run the Charleston Half next year.

Charleston Half is worth the trip. I always recommend it over the Bridge Run because the hotels don’t require a 2 night minimum stay (they do on Bridge Run weekend) and this is a much smaller race and easier logistically. Plus, Charleston Marathon is always during Charleston Restaurant Week… great for “carb loading” or post race recovery meals!

5. Congrats on your new PR! Love carb loading the night before. I do not think it is necessary. But it is a nice excuse to eat all that. Hey Chris, I live in in Va Beach too.

It was a GREAT excuse to all have dinner together, plus some people who were at our dinner were Marathon Maniacs so they were running 26.2 and probably needed the carbs :).

6. Elizabeth C. says:

The suspense of your Charletson Race Report is killing me!!! Post it already!!!!! Ha. Anyway, great week leading up to this race. Sounds like your head was really in a great place, and that allowed you to just relax for your half marathon.

7. This—> “only consumed two mimosas, so my post-race drinking PR remains at four” You should really work on that PR harder. lol This cracked me up. Congrats on a PR!!! That’s always a fun surprise. You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned “lifetime mileage and the power of belief paid off” because distance running improvements do come with time and patience. I’ve also found that sticking with stability and core exercises really aid in staying injury-free. Keep up the excellent work!!! 🙂

I had one more mimosa at the recovery party on Sunday. I suppose I should have had two there, so I could at least have 4 for the weekend, but I really wanted to get recovered from my race so I can train this week and see what I can do at MB and Savannah with some miles on my legs.

I used to do traditional strength training but am glad I swapped it out with the PT exercises and yoga. MUCH gentler on the body and helpful for improving as a runner and fighting off injuries.

8. Congrats on your PR!!!!
    I had a feeling you would come back strong after your injury!
    We’ve got MB coming up and weather permitting, ( i.e. Not humid and crazy hot) I think that will be the course to land another PR!
    I hope you have a great recovery week. Your post race/date night food looks so yummy btw!!!!

CO is really good! If y’all are into Vietnamese/Asian fusion food and downtown, I highly recommend it. We did the restaurant week deal and the price was right, but the prices and portions there are always really good for downtown Charleston.

I am hoping for a good race at MB and also some more runners to pull me along in the last miles. I did slow up a little on Saturday after I split from the 3:15ers. I think if I’d had them the the whole time, I would’ve easily been under 1:38.

9. Ohhhhh the 4 mimosas were from *last* year. Ah okay. You did so well! Congratulations on your PR! I love how you were so relaxed about it. Imagine how well you’re going to do on your next races!

10. Kaitlyn says:

Congrats again on the PR! I can’t wait to see how you do in Savannah and Myrtle Beach once you have more solid training under your belt.

Thanks girly. I’m so glad you are running again and know you will have an awesome “comeback race” one day too. It was great meeting you this weekend and I hope you had a wonderful time, even though you could not run the marathon. I am actually very glad I was not running the marathon… it was a very rough day for it.

11. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Congrats on a PR and your longest post injury run! Good luck on your training for your next races – I can’t wait to see what you accomplish!

Thank you! I remember reading your CIM report when I was injured and you commented and said you were certain I’d have a breakthrough race like that when I came back. I guess I did :). Can’t wait to see how our spring training goes!

12. HoHo Runs says:

Congratulations! I think sometimes going into a race without any expectations can pay off hugely! I can’t wait to hear the details. I think they only time I’ve had mimosas after a race was in Nashville at the Women’s Half (they no longer have). Great job, Amy! Thanks for linking.

Well, if you come to Charleston they have mimosas after this race every single year! I love that because I’m not a beer drinker.

And yes, I was really relaxed and just up for whatever in the race, without a solid goal, and think that probably helped.

13. laurenweiner says:

Congrats on the PR! That’s awesome! Now to work on your mimosa PR….

14. Yay Amy that is awesome a PR !
    You have some great races coming up, I so want to do a race in Savannah. I visited but have not run there yet! Hey I am leaning towards the RnR Raleigh race. It was one of the races we could get a free entry to since the Mississippi Blues was canceled. How cool is that?
    Talking about mimosa’s they had them in Louisiana on the course, Soooo I had to partake! Twice 🙂 🙂

That’s cool- I’ve actually never done an RNR race (I try to stick to charity races). I have had some friends do RNR Raleigh, they said it was a pretty tough/hilly course. Of course anything is hilly compared to Charleston. It is neat that you guys got that free entry though, my friend is going after the 50 states goal and using his for another state and plans to try Mississippi Blues next year!