Weekly Rundown: December 19-25

Happy Christma-hana-kwanz-akah to you! I hope everyone celebrated a wonderful holiday weekend with family and friends.

15541484_10210219618983570_8649471298797009721_n

I can’t say this picture is 100% true for me- but I would love a travel buddy and cheap hotel rooms for all the fun races I want to travel to run. I love Charleston races, but I want to start ticking away at my bucket list of other races in the Southeast. The upstate of SC and parts of NC have some races that look fun.

It was a busy week of holiday celebrations for Clay and I, topped off by celebrating with our families this weekend. Now, we’re back in Charleston, and thankfully off work today but back to the grind tomorrow.

Monday 6.2 miles + ITB Rehab Routine + 60 min. yoga
Tuesday 5.1 miles
Wednesday 6.1 miles (track) + ITB Rehab Routine
Thursday 60 min. Arc Trainer
Friday 7 miles + ITB Rehab Routine
Saturday 10 miles
Sunday ITB Rehab Routine

Monday and Tuesday were uneventful runs. Both were busy days at work so I had to cram in the runs when I could. Monday’s run was at dusk and I ran through a different part of the subdivision (new construction) to see Christmas lights. I missed the Christmas Light group runs due to parties, work, and events, so it was fun to change up the route and see lights. Even barely built homes were decorated, so that will probably be a fun neighborhood to run next year.

I didn’t take any pictures on my run, but since I love Christmas lights, here’s a picture of the Downtown Summerville tree.

IMG_20161214_200241

Speaking of Christmas trees, I went to the track on Wednesday night and did a “Christmas Tree” workout- the ladder run from Run Less Run Faster. Everyone at the track does different workouts, but this is one of my favorite workouts, and since I’m not training for anything in particular, I may as well do workouts I enjoy.

I started at the bottom of the tree and worked my way to the top (1200, 1000, 800, 600, 400, 3 x 200m), with a 200m jog recovery between each. My goal was to not fall off the ladder- in other words, don’t slow down the intervals. I ran a few extra 200s so I could hit 6 miles for the day- we’ll just say I was finishing off that strand of lights at the top of the tree.

We had a great crowd at the track, especially for such a busy time of year. It was chilly outside and my fingers were going numb when I was turning the lights off (I need gloves with fingertips next time).

15698020_908442233153_7163318394807432128_n

I wanted to run on Thursday. Bad. The weather was beautiful and warm after work and it took everything in me to drive to Planet Fitness to the Arc Trainer. Since I had to switch up my rest day for Christmas, running on Thursday would mean running 8 days straight (Saturday-Saturday), including two long runs, a race, and a workout. With a recovering knee, I didn’t want to take that risk.

On Saturday, a bunch of us met at the Y to run. Most of us did a long run, some longer than others, just turning around when we reached half of whatever we planned to run that day. Sawmill Branch is the spot for running, walking, and biking, so we wished everyone we saw a Merry Christmas and a good morning.

15665387_908956387783_3045172284794213922_n

The weather was beautiful, and everyone had someone to run with. You can’t beat wearing shorts on Christmas Eve, and I guess that’s why 42 people per day move to the tri-county Charleston area (we run with a Realtor so he tells us these facts).

After our run, Melissa, Theresa, Tammie, Rie, and I headed over to Cuppa Manna for coffee, snacks, and photos, and we met up with Sheila and Tina. It was great to share a run with friends and spend time with them before spending time with family this weekend.

15665516_908956477603_7981446326504759258_n

Most of us are training for the Myrtle Beach Marathon races (half or full), so we plan to continue the Saturday morning long runs on non-race Saturdays and maybe throw some others in there too. I’m pretty sure Cuppa Manna will be at the top of the coffeehouse rotation since the staff were really nice and the coffee was so good!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Summerville, Summerville Running, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Weekly Rundown: December 19-25

1. Elizabeth C. says:

Great week, Amy! You are totally back into the groove. I love your ladder workout that you did at the track those are so much fun. And as for bucket list races, I think Shamrock and Richmond could be added to your list. Within driving distance, but they would require a hotel.

I’ve always wanted to do Shamrock or one of the J&A races because they look so much fun when I read about them on Kris and Hollie’s blogs! Have not considered Richmond but I have a coworker who lives nearby so I may have to for the future.

2. Nice week! You did great, especially that 10 miler and the ladder workout. I’d like to move to your area too. I still can’t run outside because the sidewalks are so icy. If I want to run outside I have to drive to a quiet spot where there’s not much traffic where I can run on the road.

Yeah, I’ll admit we have great conditions for running here, although it’s hot and humid for much of the year. You can still run in that safely (although slower) at least. Sometimes it’s fun to drive to different neighborhoods to run though, a change of scenery is cool.

3. If you ever do a race in PA, you have a guest room at our house to stay in! 🙂

4. The “Christmas tree” ladder workout sounds really neat! I might have to try that one sometime 🙂 It sounds like you have a great training group for your half. Running + coffee conversations = Saturday morning perfection in my book!

5. Great week of training chica! I am proud of you for only running 10 on Saturday and didn’t cave in to pressure to run 12 or more. You are much smarter than I am,lol!
    I am so glad your injury is on the mend and you training exactly how you should. You’ve got quite the 2017 racing schedule already, so I’m sure all your smart prehab,rehab and cross training will pay off tremendously……
    Looking forward to making Cuppa Manna a go-to place after Saturday long runs-see you on the track tomorrow!

Yep, see you tomorrow! I am thinking about doing another Saturday long run on the 7th, probably do Cuppa Manna again that day. Need to figure out how to get in one this week… it’s hard to juggle with speedwork and races…

6. melissa says:

Wow! thats a pretty awesome run week! The CHristmas tree run looks like a lot of fun.Way to stay after it!

7. Oh I bet you would love the Outer Banks Half Marathon or 5k! I forget what time of year they’re at (I think one is in the fall and one is in the spring), but it’s gorgeous there! Bucket list races just sound so fun!

Shorts on Christmas Eve! I think I need to be part of the statistic that moves to Charleston, haha. Then we could go to Cuppa Manna together 🙂

I *think* OBX is in November as I had a friend run it this year and do really well. There are a few races up that way though, I’ve heard Wrightsville Beach in March is fun. I have never been to that area so it would be neat to go up for a weekend, especially reading your posts about summer vacations there.

I will say that right now is a great time to live in Charleston because we do have the best winter running weather! I only wear tights a handful of times a year, and this year it’s mostly been because they are compression, for my knee, rather than for weather purposes.

8. HoHo Runs says:

I’ve been enjoying the lights on my predawn morning runs. I really appreciated the homeowners who left them on all night long. The Christmas tree track workout sounds fun (if they CAN be fun–LOL). Getting coffee after a long run or race is my favorite thing. Your knee/ITB must be continuing to improve — which is very good news. Thanks for linking, Amy!

I love track workouts! It really is a fun workout because the intervals get shorter as you progress. I think I’m running 800s tonight…

Some people have already started taking down Christmas and I’m not a fan of that. I leave my indoor decorations up until new year’s but to me, outdoor decorations should definitely be left up! I know people who took theirs down on Christmas Day.

9. Looks like you had a really good week despite the knee! I love running as a means to see Christmas lights too! There were some really awesome houses in the neighborhood we used to live near.

It is a fun way to see lights and decorations! I ran through one neighborhood in the daylight this week and the homes were really beautiful. We discovered it when driving around at night but it was pretty awesome to run through (even though I’ll never be able to afford a home there).

• Some of the lights in those neighborhoods are really fantastic! I don’t think a lot of groups around here do organized runs to look at lights, but that’s definitely something to try to do next year.

A lot of groups do here, some intentionally to see the *best* lights… but it’s hard to avoid the lights in say, downtown Summerville, because the town’s not very big anyway. The Downtown Charleston lights are really nice too, but even my little ole neighborhood had some awesome displays this year.