Weekly Rundown: December 5-11

This week’s mantra: Be grateful for the run you can do, even when it’s not the run you wanted to do.

12249716_1059418027426363_7057336949631416320_n

I added an extra day of running this week- including a race- but did quite a bit of rehab and yoga as well. I sometimes “feel” my knee when running, but the post-run rehab fixes it right up.

Congratulations to everyone who raced this weekend. Saturday morning social media is the best when you’re a runner, and my Facebook news feed was full of race results, pictures, PRs, BQs, and awards- I love it!

Monday 5 miles + ITB Rehab Routine + 45 min. yoga
Tuesday 60 min. elliptical + ITB Rehab Routine
Wednesday 5.1 miles (track) + ITB Rehab Routine
Thursday 3.3 miles + ITB Rehab Routine
Friday ITB Rehab Routine
Saturday 5.2 miles including Jingle Bell Run 5K (22:33) + 60 min. yoga
Sunday 8.4 miles + 60 min. BodyFlow

I kicked off the week with a run, the strength/rehab routine, and an ortho appointment. I feel like my appointment was a waste of two hours (mostly travel time to downtown Charleston) and the copay. I came home and had a drink, hoping it would literally be a “recovery beverage”.

Tuesday was spent cross training since I ran on Sunday and Monday and don’t want to overdo it. 60 minutes of elliptical in front of Food Network is the way to go on a recovery day, especially when you do elliptical intervals in “reverse mode”.

15326539_903799696833_6447915920973610071_n

On Wednesday, we did a track workout. Since we have a LOT of races lately, everyone ran different workouts. Like last week, I ran 800m intervals. I ran 6 x 800m as well as a warmup and cooldown and it was all pain free. I got to share a run with friends and that was the best part of the night.

We all headed home after track- going out is fun, but holiday shopping + bills + fully funding my Roth IRA are taking my money right now.

15390813_903799602023_8018007212905921940_n

On Thursday I just ran 3 miles, since I added in a 5th day of running this week, and I took Friday off except for my PT exercises.

On Saturday, I ran the Arthritis Foundation Jingle Bell Run 5K. Sure, I could have waited until I was 100% trained to race again, but what’s the fun in that?  I knew my finish time would be slower than what I am used to, so I had no expectations besides having fun and finishing pain-free. The Jingle Bell Run was a fun holiday 5K- the proceeds benefited the Arthritis Foundation, the shirt was great, and I earned both a finisher’s medal and a medal for placing.

I’m proud that I had the guts to pin on a race bib. No matter what your ability level is, it takes courage to run a race.

IMG_20161210_100808

On Sunday, I did a long run of just over 8 miles. I thought about going to Hampton Park to meet the group, but decided to stay close to home in case my knee was painful during the run. It wasn’t the most pleasant feeling run ever, and I miss the days when 8 miles was an easy day rather than a “long run”- but I know I’ll get back there.

After my run, I showered, rolled my legs with my R8 Roll Recovery, then went to Mellow Mushroom for lunch with Clay. We shared a bruschetta app and a Kosmic Karma pizza- my favorite.

IMG_20161211_114746

IMG_20161211_120146

Sunday afternoon was spent relaxing and going to BodyFlow to recover from Sunday’s run and mentally reset for the week ahead. It’s a busy week and our last full work week until Christmas, so let’s see how it goes!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Injury, North Charleston, Summerville Running, Training Log, Yoga and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Weekly Rundown: December 5-11

1. Pam says:

Congrats on your AG award but more importantly, being able to pin on a race bib and run with no pain. It does take a lot of courage to race with no expectations so that is something to be proud of too. Also, side note here, it’s always nice to read that young professionals understand the need to save money. So many, included those of my generation don’t understand retirement/need for $$. It’s really quite amazing

Originally, my plan was to run the Kiawah Half Marathon Saturday and shoot for a PR (1:35-1:37). I truly believe I was more nervous to run this 5K post-injury than I would have been running that half marathon in a healthy state.

I’ve been saving for retirement for years now. I love what I do and can’t imagine retiring right now, but I know I’ll need that money in the future. I contribute to both a Roth IRA as well as a 401K and encourage others to do so as well. I started my Roth in 2010 and really regret not starting it earlier.

2. You have been super consistent w/ your ITB rehab routine. I know that is paying off! I’m so glad you are continuing to feel better. I’m sure being able to run the race lifted your spirits as well! Regardless of time on the clock, spending Saturday morning at a race just “feels right.” To me, running is all about community and spending time w/ your community is always good 🙂

I agree- it’s just weird NOT to run on a Saturday morning! I did yoga last Saturday with Clay, and it was fun… and I love yoga (obviously, I do 2-3 classes a week now). But I just can’t skip running on a Saturday morning for yoga, spin, sleep, or other activities! I really hope all these issues will heal soon and I can increase mileage and train hard in the new year.

3. Yes! Such a good mantra. I needed to remind myself this morning when I had planned on getting in a longer-ish run but the baby had other plans for me. That pizza looks so so so good!!!!

You have a baby and sometimes life happens- it is totally understandable (obviously baby > higher priority than running). Mellow Mushroom is probably my favorite pizza place… I love all the non-pizza offerings as well.

4. Elizabeth C. says:

Oh- you guys have Mellow Mushroom! I love that place. Especially the large pretzels. This is great news for the knee– I’m glad you’ve been able to run without pain. You were really only out of the game for a few weeks, which in the grand scheme of things is not that bad! Yay for track work with friends and 5K races!

Mellow is the best- it’s the only place where I will eat the ends of the pizza crust (dipped in marinara sauce, of course). I love the whole wheat crust and the thicker crust even though I usually go for thin-crust at other pizza joints.

While the injury definitely impacted my race goals (mostly because I had races so soon after it), I’m thankful it didn’t take me completely out of the game for very many weeks. I am hoping to run the Charleston Marathon Half Distance instead of the full, so it’s not too bad. I’m still going to build my mileage conservatively and do more cross training. I doubt I’ll be running 6 days a week again until 2017, but that’s okay. I’ll make the most of my 5 days a week of running and cross train those other days.

Plus, Christmas is busy and it’s kinda nice not to feel pressured to run every single day :).

5. Jolene says:

Hopefully that knee gets better soon. I recall way too vividly from this summer that the 8 miler had become my long runs and then the mind games I had finishing them. Crazy as it seems, I started loving my gym routine and dreaded adding the miles again. Well deserved pizza!!!

Summer running is hard! I feel like 8 miles in the summer is the equivalent of 11-12 miles in the winter- at least here in SC. I have had to play a lot of mind games lately to get through runs that are shorter than usual, and it reminds me just how much this sport is mental. I’m not one for pushing through an injury or pain, but I am one to push through the mental barriers…

6. Glad you got some miles in, girl! Glad your speedwork was pain free. I lifted today so I’m looking forward to my run tomorrow!

I really need to start lifting again. My upper body strength is pretty nonexistent, and I can’t remember the last time I did a squat with weight on the bar (well, I can, and it was over a month ago… 3 days before I got hurt). I’m a little scared to start lifting again until my knee is healed because squats may hurt it. I’ve been tempted to go back to BodyPump class and just do body weight for the leg tracks, though. I may try that next week…

7. Congratulations on your age group award and pain-free race!

Also: you always eat the most delicious looking food. That bruschetta looks amazing!

8. It was great seeing at the race on Saturday! I’m glad you were able to run it and not have too many aches and pains afterwards. The fact that you got in 8 miles the next day with minimal issues is a good sign you are on your way to recovery! i know its been harder from a mental aspect for you, but I think you have been doing a GREAT job dealing with it all!!

It’s tough but I’m glad I can still run some, even if it’s not as fast or as far as before. I will have a great comeback in 2017 and run Kiawah Half next year, already signed up!

9. Christine says:

I’m glad your knee is getting better. I did the Jingle Bell Run when I lived in Charlotte and they didn’t give us medals (it was the same franchise, so I guess it’s a new thing they started). I feel like I’m missing out on all of these 5K medals this year (Reindeer Run gave them too, apparently.). Congrats on AG placement, too!

I think the medals were new this year. This race has been in the Charleston area for awhile now and has never done finisher’s medals before.

Reindeer Run gave out finisher’s medals but did not give out any age group awards this year. I heard a lot of complaints about it, and it’s a rather pricey race, so I’m not sure that I will run it again (even if it does fall on the Saturday before Kiawah).

10. Great week of workouts and OMG that pizza…yumm!

11. It does to courage to pin on a bib! Congratulations on your placing as well. That pizza looks A-MAZING!!!

Thanks! If you have a Mellow Mushroom restaurant there (or ever travel to an area that has one) I highly recommend their pizza. It’s a chain of restaurants, but every city’s Mellow Mushroom location is a little different and features different menu items.

12. I’m glad you were able to put in more miles this week and have the guts to put on a race bib! That shows you’re confident in your rehab for your injury! So happy for you 🙂

I feel ya on the bills + gifts + Roth IRA stuff!!!

13. Your ITBS routine has really come through for you. It’s funny how an injury makes you so much more appreciative of runs, any run actually that you can do pain free.
    Congratulations to your AG win, truly awesome and glad to hear it is doing much better!
    I love Mellow Mushroom, I try and visit one when I can, we don’t have one so it’s always a treat. I usually end up getting the full pretzel order for my meal and take the rest home with me!
    Thanks Amy for linking up!

I feel like yoga has helped my IT band pain more than anything else. The recovery/strength routine has been good though- I was already strength training before with more traditional exercises, but I think the runner-specific ones in this routine are helpful. Even when I am 100%, I am planning to do this routine at least once a week just to keep things away- and I’d recommend it for all runners. It takes 20 minutes (I add some additional exercises) and you can do it in front of the TV so it’s not so bad.

14. HoHo Runs says:

I’ve participated in the same Jingle Bell 5k locally a few times. Unfortunately, now it usually conflicts with the date of a favorite half marathon. Their race tees were always very cute. Congrats on running pain free and placing in your age group. It sounds like you rehab is going great. Keep up the good work! Thanks for linking, Amy!

It conflicts with the Kiawah Half Marathon next year, so I won’t be able to do it next year, but I am very glad I got to be a part of this year’s. I would recommend it as a good 5K. The shirt is green and very cute- I think I will wear it to my next 5K on Saturday, too!