Weekly Rundown: November 28–December 4

Happy December everyone! I hope you guys had a good recovery from Thanksgiving, whether you spent it Turkey Trotting or Carb Loading for your comeback race (I did the latter).

My week was okay. I did a little more running than last week, and I wish I could say it was completely pain free. I’m learning how to live with and manage the knee pain, at least, thanks to icy hot patches, hot packs, and a knee compression brace. I go back to the ortho on Monday and am hoping for a PT referral or some advice on kicking the pain for good.

Monday 30 min. Arc Trainer + 4.1 miles + ITB Rehab Routine
Tuesday 60 min. Arc Trainer + ITB Rehab Routine
Wednesday 4.1 miles track
Thursday 60 min. Elliptical + ITB Rehab Routine
Friday 5.1 miles + 30 min. yoga
Saturday 60 min. yoga + ITB Rehab Routine
Sunday 7 miles + 60 min. BodyFlow

The highlight of my week was the track workout. It was great to run and have the crew together again. Most everyone did a 6 x 800m workout, and I ran 4 x 800m. My endurance is completely shot but I managed decent splits. I started my cooldown early and cheered for everyone still running, then we all headed to Montreaux for food and recovery beverages.

We have another track workout this Wednesday and then a week off since almost everyone is running the Kiawah Marathon or Kiawah Half Marathon. I really wish I was healthy enough to run it- my original plan was to shoot for a 1:35 half, but we know what happens to the best laid plans (like that marathon training plan I haven’t looked at in 4 weeks).

15253605_902530265783_2131996332357757800_n

On Thursday, I went to Crooked Crown with Charleston Beer Runners (who ran to Crooked Crown- I provided rides back to cars since it was a cross training day for me). We had a toy drive complete with Marines and filled an entire box for Toys for Tots. Crooked Crown also provided happy hour prices all night and free pop-tails (boozy popsicles) for everyone who donated a toy or $10. I had a chocolate porter/beer popsicle and some sweet potato tamales and will definitely be going back.

15219581_902409537723_3121108932690069632_n

15230738_494848674046521_846652176003092862_n

Working from home, I don’t get to participate in my company’s toy drives and angel tree, so it was neat to be able to give back this holiday season by donating this way. The USMC Toys for Tots also presented Charleston Beer Runners with a nice certificate of appreciation for our donations.

15325284_494848657379856_8919674297179420700_o

The weekend included more yoga, including the grand opening class at Soul Yoga and Wellness in West Ashley and a yoga class at ATT Lowcountry with Clay. Since I can’t run much, I’m enjoying yoga- I can get my heels down in Downward Facing Dog at the very beginning of class, so my flexibility has certainly improved. Yoga helps the knee pain more than the NSAIDs or “rest”, too. I bought an 8-class pass for Soul Yoga and look forward to going back.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Charleston Beer Runners, Injury, Summerville Running, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Weekly Rundown: November 28–December 4

1. It sounds like you had a good week of easing back into things. That’s great that you were able to do some 800s! I hope you get good news from your ortho and are able to get rid of the pain ASAP. Have a great week Amy!

2. I love the term “poptails!” So great. I’m glad you’re able to do a bit more running, but I’m rooting for a complete recovery for you soon. xo

Thanks girly. The poptail was good- alcoholic popsicles and ice cream are kind of a thing here it seems like- I guess because it’s so hot in Charleston normally. Crooked Crown had regular pops too, it is a family friendly establishment ;).

3. laurenweiner says:

You are still getting some solid running in! Sorry you still have some pain, but hopefully that’ll subside soon!

4. wanderwolf says:

Looks like a good week of hanging in there, hope the ortho has good news for you, and the donation drive is a really neat idea! All things considered, looks like you had a good week and hope this week is even better.

I hope so too. I didn’t get any answers at the ortho, and mostly left more frustrated, but it was a good week and this week will be a good week too.

• wanderwolf says:

Sorry about not getting answers. Some injuries aren’t that straightforward, and I think they don’t always have the time/patience to explore properly causes and solutions.
        But good positive attitude… keep it going!

5. looks like you had a pretty good week easing back into running ( and love the pics of the men in uniform from the donation drive)
    It was nice to see you on the track last week too. you are doing all the right things and are being smart about everything in regards to your training/running/rehab/prehab(you have much more willpower than I do!) Patience is the key here. I know its frustrating as hell, especially with so many races coming up hang in there chica-you got this!

Thanks girly… it is rough. The pain isn’t as bad as it was and is a bit dull, but still there. I was really glad to go to track and do some of the workout (I really don’t see the point in doing a ton of speedwork when I don’t have a high volume, though). Hoping to run at least one race this month and crossing my fingers!

6. Liz says:

I keep telling myself that I need to get into yoga. My flexibility had gotten even worse since I haven’t been working out because of my foot, and that’s hard to do! Where do you run on a track? Jon wants to get back into running and went over to West Ashley HS but said the track was locked up. He also was wondering about any less serious run clubs around here! He’s not super fast and I guess one of the ones he did in Atlanta was geared more towards experienced runners and he didn’t enjoy that one. He had a running group where the coach set up plans for them based on their times and goals and he really enjoyed that! I said I’d ask you and see if you knew anything in the area! I hope you can completely get rid of your knee pain. At least you’re still getting some miles in though!

Charleston Beer Runners!!! You guys would really enjoy it… Best running group in town. I just invited you to “like” them on Facebook. Also, a lot of the CBR members are in the military as well.

We run at the Summerville High track on Wednesday. It’s a fairly serious group, but Beer runners is more recreational and we run to a different bar each week. Anyone is welcome on Wednesday nights, too, and we do go out sometimes afterwards (just depending on what everyone has going on, though).

• Liz says:

I don’t think Jon wants a running group for the track runs! He just wanted a track he could go to and run if he feels like it. I think he goes out to Orangeburg a lot, so maybe Summerville is more on the way home? No idea, haha. WAHS locks theirs. I sent him the FB group for CBR! It’s not something we’d both be able to do since somebody has to be home with Jackson (and I’m still in the boot), but beer is right up Jon’s alley, so I’ll try to push him to go to that! I think it’d be good for him to get out and do something for himself during the week too and maybe meet some more people in the area!

7. When my knee or itb bother me they hurt more when I do nothing too! Even lifting helps just from walking around the gym and doing my hip and gluten exercises.

I’m glad you got to do the track workout with friends. I miss my routines when I cantvrun. As bored as running in my hood in the mornings can be, if I can’t run for several days or even weeks u know I start to miss my boring neighborhood!

Yeah, I hate the advice to “just rest”. Don’t get me wrong, rest and recovery are important, but our bodies are made to move. I can’t just sit around all the time because what good will that do me when I do start training again, you know?

I don’t like running my neighborhood but I have been lately just to be close to home and the ice packs/heat packs. Plus, I’m not running very often so it’s not like I really NEED a change of scenery like I did when I was running 6-7 times a week. I can’t wait to get my long run up to the point where I can go to the Sunday group runs again.

8. With my travels I missed how your week went last week, I was sure hoping your nagging pains were gone but they do sound like improvement right! I can get my heels down in downward dog either. Hope you will get some advice to help you. Thanks Amy for linking up.

9. So glad to see you are back up and running. Awesome that you could get 3 days in and even do a 7 miler. I am glad you are healing.

10. How do you like the icy hot patches? Jimmy hurt his back last week and I bought him a few of them. They seemed to work for a few hours but also irritated his skin.

I hope you can get a PT referral as well! Way to go on that track workout and 7-miler, Amy!

11. Elizabeth C. says:

I hope your knee issue goes away for good soon. It’s great that you were able to ease your way back into a track workout. When I was sick and I saw Greg + friends running my “goal time” at races I had registered for, it was tough. I just had to keep reminding myself to not think about it that way. Because that leads you to a dark place in your mind. Just remember you will be back out there yourself in no time.

Thanks Elizabeth. It’s tough, but I’m glad my friends get to race Kiawah (and every other race they have been able to do that I couldn’t). I know that sometimes they’ve been hurt and had to miss races too. Ultimately there will be another race… and the same race will be held next year. I only had to miss one race I was signed up for (the perks of NOT registering early to “save money”)- I was able to defer the other one, at least. Pretty sure I’ll be a last minute registrant forever now!

12. You’re getting back at it! I’m glad you’re still able to get together with your running group. Having a support community makes everything better!

I agree- plus it’s nice to have others to run with. Keeping my distances so short, I’ve just stayed close to home. It’s nice to go to the track for a change of scenery.

13. HoHo Runs says:

It is encouraging you were able to do the track intervals. I hope you’ll get that PT referral. If the ortho won’t give you one, try your GP or even your OBGYN. The toy drive sounds wonderful. That is what this season is all about! Working for a very small company, we don’t get the opportunity to participate in a lot of things either. Thanks for linking, Amy!

My ortho didn’t, which is weird, but I know that it’s pretty easy to get one from another doc and I have heard you can also just *go* sometimes without any referrals, that the referral is mainly needed for insurance purposes. My insurance doesn’t cover PT anyway, so it’s kind of a moot point.

14. another good week, hope you can get a good PT referral.
    if you ever want to know about the sports med guy I see just let me know