Weekly Rundown: November 21-27

It’s Thanksgiving week, college football rivalry week, and time for the Weekly Rundown!

In honor of the South Carolina vs. Clemson rivalry, I’ll start with four words every Gamecock fan knows well:

It’s a rebuilding season.

My training has shut down for 2016. My focus has shifted to recovery from ITBS and (eventually) rebuilding my mileage rather than any race or goal. Running wise, I took this week conservatively- because you can be a conservative runner and liberal in other areas…

Monday 3.1 mile run + 60 min. Vin to Yin yoga
Tuesday 60 min. cycle + ITB Rehab Routine
Wednesday 4.1 mile run + ITB Rehab Routine
Thursday ITB Rehab Routine + Carb loading for my comeback race
Friday 30 min. yoga + 1 mile hike + 3.1 mile run
Saturday ITB Rehab Routine
Sunday 5.3 miles + ITB Rehab Routine + 60 min.BodyFlow

I tested the knee out with a run on Monday, all taped up from my chiro visit last Friday. I only ran 3 miles, which didn’t feel great but I covered up my watch and ran a surprisingly fast pace. I guess that’s how people who only run 3 miles at a time and take a lot of days off ran so quickly at group runs when I was riding the struggle bus of 50 miles per week and half marathon training.

Tuesday night, I stuck with my every-other-day plan and cross trained on the bike at Planet Fitness. I watched Netflix on my phone, then headed to Maybank Public House for a Charleston Running Club social. Members are big on staying OFF social media, so I have no pictures to show from the social.

Wednesday’s run was a funny one. Clay and I were leaving town to visit his parents, so I had to get my run in earlier in the day. Since the KT tape worked on Monday, I watched a YouTube tutorial, taped up my knee, waited 30 minutes, and headed out.

kt_tape

About halfway in, I felt the KT tape slipping off my skin. I stopped and tried to smooth it down, but as I was running back into my neighborhood, the tape completely fell off. It was like that scene in Forrest Gump where Forrest’s braces fall off.

This would be the *only* time it’s ever acceptable to yell “Run Forrest Run” from a car.

ForrestGumpbraces

We spent Thanksgiving with Clay’s parents, where I ate like I was carb-loading for a marathon. When all your friends on social media are runners, you see more Turkey Trot pictures than food pictures and it was hard to look at. I hated to miss the local Turkey Trot there (I won it last year, although that’s not saying much since it’s so small), but knew it would be stupid to run two days straight.

In the end, I feel good about my decision to rest and save the money for a future race when I’m injury-free and actually training. I can’t show up on the day of a race, pay $30, and not push myself more, even if it’s not a goal race. We headed to NC that evening to visit Clay’s grandparents, too.

786_1480296870014

On Friday, all of us went out for breakfast then visited Stone Mountain State Park, where Clay and I went on a 1 mile hike and I ran a short run that evening before dinner. I don’t prioritize running when we visit family because running will always be there but family may not be.

787_1480296293369

785_1480296313465

Saturday was a travel day and with driving home, all I had time for was my PT Routine- but that’s what is important right now so I’m glad I did that much.

Sunday, I ran and did PT exercises. My knee hurt that evening, but I made it to BodyFlow, which helps my knee a LOT. Plus, I can finally get my heels to touch the ground in downward facing dog position- even at the very beginning of class. I’ve been doing yoga since 2012 but my mobility now is better than ever in yoga classes.

Sometimes the little things can be victories, right?

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Family, Holidays, Injury, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Weekly Rundown: November 21-27

1. Sorry if this comment shows up twice! I think it’s my computer being dumb, not your blog, because my comments have been disappearing all morning!

You are being very diligent about your PT exercises, nice work! What is your favorite cross training activity? My ITB gets more aggravated from spinning and arc trainer than running.

Honestly, my favorite cross training activity is none, because if I’m cross training, it means I’m injured. I definitely get the best workout on the Arc Trainer, though I can see that it could irritate an IT band.

Yoga seems to help the pain a lot.

• Ha, good answer! Mine is lifting because I truly do enjoy that and do it whether I am injured or not. So at least when I am injured, I can still lift and there is at least some sense of normalcy.

In that case, I would probably say BodyFlow/yoga. I always lump strength training in a different category than cross training… to me, cross training is elliptical, spin, something you do instead of run. I used to do more BodyPump classes to strength train, too, until my gym started getting rid of them. They still have it one morning a week, so I need to try to get back into it… until then, I’m doing my PT exercises with the therabands (which can be quite a workout… I do break a sweat…)

2. Jolene says:

Coming to you via the Weekly Wrap!:) IT Band issues are not fun! I struggle with mine and just try to be resilient with not missing my strength training. Love the fall colors!

Thanks for stopping by. Yeah, I was strength training before, but I guess I wasn’t doing the right things, I don’t know. It stinks to try to do the right things, then still get hurt. I’m doing the rehab routine multiple times per week and hoping that will help keep it away. ITBS is an injury a LOT of runners struggle with…

3. I can’t quite get over that 60 minute cycle! I’ve used the stationary bike as cross-training before but I can’t stay on that thing much longer than 40 minutes. I’m glad you’re getting some running in, but I hope you’ll be able to feel better and better with each day that passes. It’s tough being injured.

Oh, the stationary bike (and every other workout “machine” besides the treadmill) sucks but I want to make my “comeback” as smooth as possible, whenever that may be. If you have a good TV show that makes the time go by a little faster, but it’s definitely not the same as running.

4. laurenweiner says:

Beautiful shots from your hike! You are doing great at stepping back and making sure to get healthy. And more time for yoga…that’s even better 🙂

5. Yes, the little victories are totally worth counting! Seeing everyone else racing on social media stinks but you are being so smart about your running and health in the long run. Nice work getting in some running and plenty of rehab. It will all be worth it when you’re back kicking tail in 2017!

I’m really trying to be. I hope I’ll be back for 2017… I’m just not very patient and want to do so many races NOW!

• completely agree with Amy here! you are doing all the right things and being SMART in the grand scheme of things. races will always be there when you are ready/healthy and when you make your smooth transition back to racing again! hang in there, you are becoming a cross training BEAST!!!!

6. HoHo Runs says:

I’ve never been able to get KT Tape to stick. So, I just gave up on it. Stone Mountain is a very nice place to visit! I think it is encouraging that you were able to run four times this week. So many of us are required to take weeks (or months) completely off for rehab. Your ITB routine must be working? Thanks for linking, Amy!

7. I’m glad that you are back running a little bit! You are being smart by easing back into it. I know that is tough to do. Keep it up! Your patience and persistence will pay off 🙂

8. supereli23 says:

Some tips I’ve found that help KT Tape stay on better are to really prep the skin well before application. Think rubbing alcohol or an alcohol wipe to get the moisture/oil off the skin. I often will even use a spray adhesive on the skin too (like Cramer Tuf Skin) on the area before applying if I want the tape to last for several days. Hope that helps and hope your knee starts feeling better!

9. thisrunnersrecipes says:

The little victories are always important – and hooray for some runs back!
    I find that KT take works best on clean, shaven, dry skin – and then I really, really rub it in. When I had tape on my foot (where there’s a lot more bends to the tape like the knee), the podiatrist told me to blow dry the tape after each shower and workout. Keeping it dry made a difference!

10. Way to go with doing your PT work and cross training like a champ! It must have been tough to skip out on the local Turkey Trot race, but running will always be there when you’re healed and ready to get back at it! I’m glad you and Clay were able to spend time with family over the holidays. Hiking sounds like a lot of fun! I definitely don’t do it enough!