Weekly Rundown: November 14-20

This week’s theme: Cross train till you go insane.

15078720_1515763375106602_6896669275037690763_n

This knee injury/IT Band drastically altered my winter racing plans. Clay suggested I just take a week off running, so I spent this week cross training in hopes of salvaging *some* winter race down the line. Hopefully I won’t have to wear all black to disguise the ill effects of not running 50 miles per week but still eating like I do.

Can I even call this a “Weekly Rundown” if no running took place?

Monday 60 min. bike + 30 min. Core Cuts + ITB Rehab Routine
Tuesday 40 min. arc trainer + 20 min. bike + ITB Rehab Routine
Wednesday 60 min. arc trainer
Thursday 35 min. bike + 20 min. strength (machines/body weight)
Friday Chiro Adjustment/KT Taping + ITB Rehab Routine
Saturday 40 min. spin, 15 min. row, 30 min. Core Cuts + ITB Rehab Routine
Sunday 75 min. Mindful Flow yoga +  ITB Rehab Routine

Monday started out with 60 minutes on the bike, and that afternoon, I did a class called Core Cuts at the gym. The class was kind of fun. My resistance bands came in the mail, so I was able to do my complete ITB Rehab Routine after the class.

IMG_20161118_164923

On Tuesday, Tami and I went out for a birthday/girl’s lunch at Zen Asian Fusion. It’s my favorite Asian restaurant in Charleston and I was thrilled to introduce it to Tami. We had a ton to chat about- like running, injuries, Ironman North Carolina, traveling, races, and other stuff.

If you’re in Charleston and like sushi/Asian food but haven’t checked out Zen, you’re missing out. The Shrimp Pad Thai was delicious and the lunch specials are a steal.

15079007_897568554093_8214286976664828282_n

15094915_897568509183_7429554560001088466_n

On Thursday, I broke down in tears on my way home from Planet Fitness. The stress of the election, news, work, holidays, and family really got to me. I know that others out there have it much worse with life situations and even injuries, but the mental side effects of an injury can be worse than the physical pain.

Running isn’t a drug. Exercise isn’t therapy, an antidepressant, or a substitute for mental health care- even if memes and t-shirts claim it is. Those sayings discount anyone who has been through mental health concerns. However, running releases endorphins and causes changes in the brain- especially when you go from running 50+ miles a week in marathon training to running none.

Cross training is lonely, and I *crave* social interaction- my favorite thing about running is sharing it with others. Missing the human interaction, I did classes at the gym on Saturday. I do modify a few things in Core Cuts but get a great workout. Maybe I will have the guts (literally) to race in a sports bra in my comeback race?

Saturday was also my first race DNS (Did Not Start) due to injury since 2014. I have no regrets over losing that entry fee. There’s always another race when I’m healthy.

Sunday was a great day. I did a 75 minute yoga class at Community Yoga, using a free pass a friend gave me. I really loved the class, and it was great for the body and the soul. After class, I hit Target to shop for the Charleston Beer Runners toy drive and ATT Lowcountry toy drive. They had a good sale on kids games, so I stocked up.

IMG_20161120_171634

That afternoon, I met up with Vy for shrimp and chili at R Kitchen West and met Emily at the West Ashley Farmer’s Market before coming home and calling it a week. I should’ve taken more pictures with everyone, but I was busy socializing and enjoying the market.

o

Next week, I will give running a shot with a test run at some point, then think about other treatment options. Oh, and I’ll eat a lot of tasty sides and desserts at my inlaws (I don’t eat turkey). I hope everyone has a wonderful week and Thanksgiving!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Injury, Training Log, West Ashley, Yoga and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Weekly Rundown: November 14-20

1. Amy, that cartoon is so good! Ha! 😉 I’m proud that you’re still making an effort to be active. So many people when they fall prey to injury just quit working out period. You’re doing all you can, the smart way, to rehab that injury and come back stronger. Kudos to you!!! And you worded everything so perfectly. We need those endorphins. And while there may be bigger issues out there or others who certainly have it worse we are allowed to feel sad too. No matter how big or small our situation. Our feelings are totally valid. Sweet vibes your way girl!

I really don’t understand the “It could be worse” mentality. Does that mean that, because we don’t have say, a terminal illness, we should be over the wall happy all the time?

I plan to do what I can when I can. Looks like a winter marathon is definitely out of the picture, but there are tons of great races I can hopefully enjoy, if I’m healthy enough in a few weeks or months.

2. Aww, Amy. THIS IS SO SHITTY. Hopefully this coming week is better. I feel kinda dumb for asking you this, but what is an arc trainer?

3. Sides are the best part of the meal anyway! Do you just not like turkey? You got tons of cross training in. Doing that is sometimes more time consuming than running! I lifted again today because the wind was BRUTAL!

4. Ana says:

Oh man! Injuries suck!! But you are doing so much more! and that’s awesome. I know it’s not running, but it will come.

That Pad Thai looks so yummy and that salad!! sing me up for the salad!!

Thanks, I’m hoping the cross training will help me keep my fitness for when I can run and eventually train again. The salad was tiny and basically an appetizer for the pad thai, but it was good. I love Asian food!

5. Even though you didn’t run this week, you KILLED it with cross training!!
    I totally get this post on so many levels. I’m glad you were able to get out and about this week and had a lunch break with Tami! You are doing all the right things so hopefully you will be good as new in the next week or so.Again, keep hanging in there. The endorphins will eventually be yours again!!!
    sending hugs and healing vibes your way. I missed you on sunday btw!!!!!!!

I miss you too! That’s the thing I miss most, if I’m not running I won’t get to see friends. Even though I don’t do the turkey trots here, I would do the one near Clay’s parents and see people I knew there. I always liked that race. I will be back for track, even if I have to walk it and basically coach.

6. Your non-running recap was totally legit – you are a cross-training rock star! I’m so sorry to hear about the race on Saturday 😥 But like you wrote in my blog, we are young and there will be plenty opportunities for running and racing in the future! Hang in there and keep up the solid rehabbing.

Thanks- It was basically a cross training super week, haha.

Sucks to miss a race, especially when I could’ve placed overall (I didn’t look at the results, but a friend placed overall and I’m usually at least a minute ahead of her at every race). But, no race is worth worsening an injury and missing more training time in the future.

Guess I could’ve taped it up, sucked it up, and run. But sometimes it’s about doing the workout you should do rather than what you could do…

7. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Awww Amy, that sucks! I am so sorry to hear about your injury and hope you heal up soon! You are crushing it at cross training in the meanwhile.
    Don’t give up on your goals quite yet. If it’s any consolation, after a long period of only cross training when I had my sprain then a few weeks of short, easy runs, my fitness came back pretty quickly, and I didn’t lose much speed. Cross training will maintain it and it takes a significant amount of time off to truly undo all of the hard work you’ve put in.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

I have a solid base and a ton of training behind me, but when all’s said and done, I have missed a solid 2-3 weeks of training. Not only that, but I have to rebuild and of course, strengthen/stretch the muscles around my IT band to hopefully keep this from turning into a run/injury cycle.

I am NOT running a marathon in January on such little training- I have too much respect for the distance to do that. I also won’t run a race if I don’t think I can finish AND finish with a time I am proud of- and I don’t think I could do that on 7-8 weeks. I know you understand because we are usually on the same page when it comes to running and racing goals. I participated in a marathon in 2013 (I hesitate to say I “ran” it), and I didn’t get much out of the experience besides a profound respect for 26.2.

Hoping for the half marathon in Charleston. I’d rather run a good half than finish a full. I do think the cross training will serve me well and I won’t lose a ton of fitness when I’m back to training… whenever that may be.

8. I’m sorry your injury has left you feeling so isolated. That really sucks. Especially combined with the lack of running induced endorphins. It sounds like you are rehabbing like a champ though, so hopefully you’ll be back to running soon.

I too am looking forward to a turkey-free day of sides and dessert. Happy early Thanksgiving!

Thanks. Yeah, it did, but I am finding ways to get out and finding ways to cross train around others with classes. I also feel like the yoga classes are helping my knee pain a bit.

9. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Sorry to hear about your injury. Hopefully the ITB Rehab Routine works well for you – I love Strength Runner’s workouts and training plans! It’s definitely tough to not be able to run when you want to so badly…wishing a speedy recovery!

Thanks, yeah it is tough. I have been doing that routine, as well as a few other exercises, most days. It is helping a LOT. I love Strength Running’s articles but this is the first workout I’ve tried from them.

10. Looks like you are getting a great amount of cross training in. Hope your ITB band is cooperating soon. I see an amazing sports med chiro in West Ashley who practice ART if you ever want his name.

11. Elizabeth C. says:

All I can say here is be patient. I totally get how much it sucks when you can’t run. But I can assure you that A) You don’t need to wear black to hide anything. You are so tiny/skinny and one week off of running will not change that. B) You will be back sooner than you think. Especially since you are cross training. I saw that you did a few runs this week on Strava, and if you’re feeling good, then YAY! If it’s still nagging, I think taking another full week off might be the best way to nip in the bud. But of course I am not you, so obviously do what you think is best! As for the mental stuff, it’s hard. I can totally understand breaking down and crying. I’ll bet you felt better afterwards. Sounds like you just needed some release. Of course there will always be people out there who have it worse than you, but that doesn’t mean you aren’t entitled to your feelings. Hang in there!

Thanks- yeah, I am keeping the running to every other day right now. That gives me a day in between to recover and do some cross training. I’ll admit, it is kind of nice to not have to worry about running and workouts this weekend because we are traveling. I hated to miss the turkey trot today and it is a big day for FOMO if you’re not running with so many races today… but I knew it was the right decision.

BTW, congrats on your PR today. You’ve had quite the comeback yourself and it’s very inspirational (not that you weren’t inspirational before with the BQ after all the years). I hope you had a good recovery today and good thanksgiving!

12. I think when you have a running blog and are active in the community it’s much harder when you have to sit out because it feels like everyone else is racing and such. I’m wishing you a speedy / safe recovery and excited to see what will be next for you. Hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving!

Thanks- you’re right. It’s hard on Thanksgiving when you see all the pictures on social media from the various Turkey Trots. Also, I travel each Thanksgiving and I usually race when I am at my inlaws so I get to see my friends and old running buddies. This year, not only was I not running but I missed seeing THEM! And I didn’t trust myself to show up, pay $30 to run, and then “just run” without pushing myself. I’m sure some people can do that but mentally… I just can’t.

So I stayed home. And carb loaded for my comeback race… in January.

13. HoHo Runs says:

I hope you were able to run this week and your ITB is on the mend. I’m just throwing this out there — I was laid up for 8 weeks with a foot stress fracture. I “pool ran” at the Y and rode my bike and was able to complete my first marathon despite that injury. Pool running is the best substitute you can find. It is mind boggling boring, but music helps with that. Just remember you have options if needed. Thanks for linking, Amy!

Thanks- yeah, I’ve been able to run this week. I wish I had pool access- this isn’t the greatest time of year for that and we don’t have indoor pools down here. Our pool closed Nov. 1 (although we’ve had several days since when it was definitely warm enough to swim in an unheated outdoor pool!). I’m finding the recumbent bike and arc trainer pretty good, along with lots and lots of yoga!

14. mommyrunfaster says:

Injuries are the worst! I’m impressed with all the cross training you got in. And it will pay off when you do get back to running!
    Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!