Weekly Rundown: November 7-13

When you’re training for a race, a lot can change in a week.

Four weeks ago, I had a promising 16 mile long run that made me think my running and racing goals were possible. Three weeks ago, I ran one of my worst races in a while. Two weeks ago, I had a 16 mile “race-out” that made me thankful I kept the dream alive. One week ago, I did a cutback week long run on the Cooper River Bridge- and subsequently injured my left knee.

I hesitate to call this a training log, but here we go.

Monday No workout- Ortho Appointment
Tuesday No workout- Sports Massage
Wednesday 6 miles
Thursday 30 min. Arc Trainer, 30 min. cycle at Planet Fitness
Friday ITB Rehab Routine
Saturday 6.2 miles including Old Village Harbor 5K (21:41)
Sunday 2.1 miles, 30 min. cycle, 30 min. rowing, ITB Rehab Routine
Total 14.3 miles. Whomp whomp.

When I woke up on Monday, I decided to take a few days completely off. No running, no cross training. Just living the #NARPLife (NARP – Non Athletic Regular Person).

Since I’m paranoid and have good insurance, I immediately called my ortho, who worked me in for X-rays that afternoon. He told me none of the bones near my knee were broken, prescribed me an NSAID to take each day, and suggested icing my knee. He said that even though the pain wasn’t in the typical area of Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITBS), it was most likely IT band related because it hurt when walking down stairs and bending my knee.

I was pain free on Tuesday and got a sports massage. Tuesday was a crazy busy day with three meetings at work, the sports massage, and the Yelp’s Ballot Bash party that night. The party was great and took my mind off not running.

15036560_10209452209095141_6052662967967825788_n_thumb.jpg

By Wednesday, I was going stir-crazy. Wednesday was a rough day in general due to the election results, and I was sad and scared for America (I still am). I helped a coworker out with tickets to keep my mind off of the election results.

I decided to go for a test run on Wednesday night because I already had the track session scheduled. I figured the track was the safest place to run since I would be surrounded by friends and could stop anytime. A few people had to leave early and didn’t make the picture.

IMG_20161109_183925

I wish I could say the run felt amazing. It didn’t feel bad, but I could feel the niggle-y knee on the cooldown. I was signed up for Saturday’s Run Hard Lexington Half Marathon, and I decided to defer. I look forward to running in 2017 because it seems like a great race and the proceeds benefit a Columbia running club.

Deferring wasn’t a hard decision- in fact, it was an easy decision. I’ve run enough half marathons to know how badly they beat up a healthy runner. I don’t want to find out what running a hilly half marathon with a hurt knee feels like. Racing hurts bad enough when you start pain-free.

I cross trained on Thursday and rested completely on Friday except for the rehab exercises. I was pain free on Friday.

Saturday, I ran the Old Village Harbor 5K in Mt. Pleasant. My friend Lorcan of Lucey Mortgage Corporation offered me a bib so I said why not. The warmup felt fine, so I gave the race a shot. It was my slowest 5K since the summer, but not much slower than my last 5K, at least.

My race was pain free, but I felt the knee a little during my cooldown, just like on Wednesday. I placed in my age group, but mostly I was glad to spend the morning with friends and run.

15056239_10153813486300194_1633693877747334806_n

Saturday afternoon was spent watching football then going out for sushi with Clay! We went with a group of friends and tried a new-to-us place that was close to home (this is a better “after” pic of my hair, too).

IMG_20161112_183010

On Sunday, I attempted a run from the house. I didn’t meet up with the group because I wanted to feel free to stop if the knee hurt. This turned out to be a good decision, because I only logged 2 miles- at least I was close to home. I called it a day and hit the gym to cross train, which is probably what I should have done to begin with.

I don’t see myself running 6 days a week for awhile. I don’t see myself running at all next week.

Sometimes your race dreams become dreams deferred. Literally. Maybe I can salvage a winter half, but I’m not even keeping my hopes up for that right now.

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Injury, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Weekly Rundown: November 7-13

1. Hollie says:

I’m sorry to hear Amy. It does sound like you had good luck by simply resting your knee. Hopefully you see some good results in the next week.

2. I always admire how smart you are to scale/cut back running when you start feeling injured. Hope your knee feels better soon.

3. Pam says:

You are doing the right thing Amy, even if it is a hard choice. And deferring a hilly half marathon was definitely in your best interest for running in the future. I watch so many runners race injured and then they are in worse shape. No race is worth a further injury or more damage to the one you already have. Cross training should keep you in great shape and keeping away from the goodies is always a smart option too!

Agreed. I got through the 5K okay and without any pain or issues, but I don’t see myself running longer for awhile, nor do I see myself running back to back days (as shown by Sunday’s “attempt”). Hopefully this cross training filled week will go a bit better and be pain-free…

4. Well SHIT. I’m so sorry about this sore knee business. I mean, you’re doing all the right things and you’ve got a great attitude about it so I have no doubt you’ll be back to your running self in no time but it still really sucks! I’m sorry. Your hair looks pretty though! The colour suits you so much. I’m craving sushi now too, especially since Meg just wrote a post about sushi too!

Go get some sushi- life’s too short not to do what you want :). My crunch roll was really, really good and not that expensive (I feel like sushi is pricey!).

My hair is great. I figured it would be nice to have short hair with training, you know easier to wash and all. Then I get hurt, bleh! Oh well, hopefully it will still be this short when I am running again, sooner rather than later *crosses fingers*

5. It definitely sounds like you are doing the right thing by cross-training and resting your knee. At least you are able to cross train w/o pain. I had to tell myself that a million times in the last few weeks. I was actually more sore from cross training than I ever am from a running workout or race. I hope you heal quickly! Keep us posted!

I can do most things without pain. Lunges aren’t happening, and I am still really careful walking down the stairs (I take them so slowly and scoot my foot down… I feel like the snail off the Monsters University movie). But, I can row, recumbent bike, core, some strength training, and some cardio classes… and I’m very glad for what I can do this week. I will do those things as long as I have to so it’s easier when I can run again.

6. It is always hard to take the time off, but it will pay off in the long run. You do not want to agitate it even more by pushing yourself. I haven’t sushi in awhile but love trying new places out. Maybe I will go this week.

Yah, the worst thing would be for the injury to last even longer.

Sushi is great… so is hibachi and most Asian foods in general. I went a long time without having it then had pad thai a few weeks ago and sorta got addicted again…

7. I know we already chatted about this but hang in there and take care of yourself. I know that you will!

8. You are doing all of the right things and listening to your body.I’ve said this before but I’ll say it again:
    Injuries are easier to deal with physically than mentally. Keep you chin up and find that silver lining. You’ve got a great support crew around and we are always here if you need a shoulder to lean on and vent.
    Loved the picture of your new cut and color btw! Even though I noticed it last Sunday on the run, you always have it pulled back so it was hard to see how short it was. You look so much different ( in a good way!) in normal non running attire!

Thanks girly. You’re right, it is mentally hard to get hurt doing what you love, and know that you will run again but those runs will be scary for awhile because you got hurt doing the activity you love.

We all look so different in non-running clothes… we clean up quite well! I *rarely* clean up… between workouts and working from home, there’s just not much incentive to wear makeup or nice clothes unless I’m going somewhere or going into the office.

9. Elizabeth C. says:

One of the reasons I think you’ve had so much success as a runner is that you don’t do stupid things, like most of us. You know how to listen to your body. You stop when stuff hurts. You go on vacations and don’t run because sometimes your body just needs a break. This will serve you well. I hope you are able to get some good rehab on the knee, figure out what caused the problem, and address it for good. Maybe some new shoes are in order. I’ll send you a FB message on another idea I have!

Yeah, I won’t run in those shoes any more. They weren’t at their max mileage, but after Friday’s run, I am going to go ahead and retire them.

I guess this gives me a good excuse to buy new shoes now at least!

10. HoHo Runs says:

Since you said you had good insurance, I’ll offer up this suggestion. Go to PT. If you can get a doctor to prescribe Physical Therapy, it will be covered by insurance. It’s the best thing I ever did! They’ll help get you get back on track and give you the tools to use ongoing. I think it’s definitely worth consideration. Regardless, I hope your knee is better soon. Thanks for linking, Amy!